Home Non Cigar Related

New build, quest for 1200 yards

124»

Comments

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    firetruckguy:
    The Kid:
    Curious what grain/caliber did you get him with, distance?? Yea when I saw the snow I knew it was gonna be a long day,,haha,, Keeps the meat cool though!! Did you have to chain up the four wheeler? I guess a sled would of came in handy.
    BTW the scope is bad azz
    275 yards, slight down hill. The area I hunted was north of Hwy 14 called eggers canyon. Its federal land that pretty easy to get back in a mile, then it goes strait up. I didn't have to chain up the 4 wheeler, there is a old road that goes a half mile back, then a pretty nice trail to the valley. I do need to go next summer and "prune" some evergreens, it will make next years hunt a lot better.

My hunting rifle is a Browning X bolt long range hunter. 26" barrel in 300WinMag. I hand load Nosler 180gr Accubonds with H4350. Im getting just shy of 3000 fps, awesome punch on big boned game. I hit him in the back right above the haunches first shot, then through the lungs on the second, he didn't go far.
    Thanks, love to hear all the details.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    The Kid:
    firetruckguy:
    The Kid:
    Curious what grain/caliber did you get him with, distance?? Yea when I saw the snow I knew it was gonna be a long day,,haha,, Keeps the meat cool though!! Did you have to chain up the four wheeler? I guess a sled would of came in handy.
    BTW the scope is bad azz
    275 yards, slight down hill. The area I hunted was north of Hwy 14 called eggers canyon. Its federal land that pretty easy to get back in a mile, then it goes strait up. I didn't have to chain up the 4 wheeler, there is a old road that goes a half mile back, then a pretty nice trail to the valley. I do need to go next summer and "prune" some evergreens, it will make next years hunt a lot better.

My hunting rifle is a Browning X bolt long range hunter. 26" barrel in 300WinMag. I hand load Nosler 180gr Accubonds with H4350. Im getting just shy of 3000 fps, awesome punch on big boned game. I hit him in the back right above the haunches first shot, then through the lungs on the second, he didn't go far.
    I take it you're a bit of a sportsman as well Rudy? You get tags for anything this past year?
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Went to the gun smith yesterday to check my new scope and rings to make sure they will fit. My buddy at the gun shop said "the rings look pretty low"..........Turds

The rings are a 1/4" to low, lets the front of the scope hit the full length rail...... Double turds!

So now back to finding rings. One good thing he told me is I don't have enough MOA in the scope ring base to go ELR, so he said the best thing to do is find a scope mount. A scope mount is the rings and a mount all together, then you mount it on your rail or base. This setup is big in the AR world, and just starting to gain popularity in the long range world. Nice thing with the scope mount is that you can put more MOA in the mount so you have more usable adjustment in the scope.

Gun room is coming along, Ill post some pics tonight.
    Have not had "the call" from my gun smith letting me know my rifle is started. Im in no hurry, but damn this has been a long wait. I want to shoot in next months local match if they can do some magic between now and then.

The gun room is getting fresh paneling over the next few days, decided to go with the "old school" look, like what I grew up with.
    firetruckguy:
    Have not had "the call" from my gun smith letting me know my rifle is started. Im in no hurry, but damn this has been a long wait. I want to shoot in next months local match if they can do some magic between now and then.

The gun room is getting fresh paneling over the next few days, decided to go with the "old school" look, like what I grew up with.
    Very cool bro hope you get the call soon! Can't wait to see everything wrapped up ;)
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    firetruckguy:
    Hays:
    firetruckguy:
    I kinda fell off the face of the earth for a few weeks. Build is at the gunsmith, should be back first part of Feb.

Until then I am building my gun room/man cave.

Ill post some pictures.......
    Good! I´ve been following this thread, looks killer so far and the photos from the competition look like a great time. Looking forward to more updates.
    Hays! good to see you bro!
    Haha man, I didn't even realize it was you doing this thread for the longest time! That rifle coming together looks bada$$, and the scope looks like a beast. Too bad about the rings, but at least the end result should be killer. Jealous of that elk, must be some eatin'! Still keeping an eye out for those gun room pics.
    Good news! I talked to the shop where my broom stick is at, and she is done! I cannot wait to go pick her up!

Pics when I get her.......
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Looking forward to seeing this!
    mmccartneydc:
    Looking forward to seeing this!
    +1
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    firetruckguy:
    The Kid:
    BTW the scope is bad azz

I take it you're a bit of a sportsman as well Rudy? You get tags for anything this past year?
    @ Irish,,Just saw this today,,,, No, haven't been big game hunting for sometime. Matt Booth did name a cigar after my hunting prowess though,,,;o) Seriously the only animal I'd be interested in bagging is an Elk. Too much meat for me, myself and I. Even with venison I'd end up giving a lot away. I would skin and gut (obviously) but when you also add in butcher costs and processing, it turned into a expensive hobby. Buddy of mine would debone and grind his own burger, which defiantely helped on the costs. Though I do miss hunting camp and sittin round the campfire with the boys.

@FTG glad to hear the "Broomstick" (haha) is ready. Bet your eager to check it out!
    Dang, I thought I would get a chance to go over and pick up the rifle yesterday, but no! I had to move my oldest back home, took most of the day. Ill sneak over there Tuesday or Wednesday and pick her up.

Irish, if you want to be a RO in the up coming long range competition in may let me know.
    firetruckguy:
    Dang, I thought I would get a chance to go over and pick up the rifle yesterday, but no! I had to move my oldest back home, took most of the day. Ill sneak over there Tuesday or Wednesday and pick her up.

Irish, if you want to be a RO in the up coming long range competition in may let me know.
    Thanks bro I will hit you up here today to say hey and catch up and we can talk then, so long as it ain't interfering with The Mrs. Irish's Bday/Mothers Day i dont see why not :)
  • StubbleStubble Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,305
    My goodness....That's sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That looks outstanding bro holy cats wow!!!
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuggin A man, that thing looks devilish! Love that, looking forward to your report after breaking it in!
    Thanks boys, I'm more excited then a virgin on prom night! I have a tone of stuff to do before I can get out and shoot her, but ill be sure to let you know when its going to happen.

Now it just needs to get warm.......
    Move to south Texas....I had my two youngest out yesterday!!!

Stubble:
    Move to south Texas....I had my two youngest out yesterday!!!

Awesome pic Steve, what are the boys shooting?
    90+ Irishman:
    Single shot .22 target rifles with peep sights. The synthetic stock is a Savage Mark 1 FVT and the wood stock is an old Mossberg 44 US-D that still groups like a champ!
    Stubble:
    90+ Irishman:
    Single shot .22 target rifles with peep sights. The synthetic stock is a Savage Mark 1 FVT and the wood stock is an old Mossberg 44 US-D that still groups like a champ!
    Very very cool!