Home Non Cigar Related

Badger and Blade??

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i started out with a Merkur HD 38c. however, if i knew then what i know now i would have started with either a Merkur 1904 or a Goodfella

right now, i use a mid 1930s Gillette NEW ball end

as far as soap goes its very hard to go wrong with Tabac. it lathers great with a Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger Brush. i am actually looking for something a bit different and im thinking of going syntheticfrush.

as far as blades go, you are going to want to pick up a sampler pack to help you decide. each blade will differently depending on the razor and your beard. I use feathers. others think they are too sharp.

good luck
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    That's why a keep a beard.
    beatnic:
    That's why a keep a beard.
    what? so you dont have a good relaxing time making sure that your woman always wants to be close to you?
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    muff diving takes on a whole new experience.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    kuzi16:
    i started out with a Merkur HD 38c. however, if i knew then what i know now i would have started with either a Merkur 1904 or a Goodfella

as far as soap goes its very hard to go wrong with Tabac. it lathers great with a Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger Brush. i am actually looking for something a bit different and im thinking of going syntheticfrush.

as far as blades go, you are going to want to pick up a sampler pack to help you decide. each blade will differently depending on the razor and your beard. I use feathers. others think they are too sharp.

good luck
    So when you say it's 1930's NEW - are you saying it's a relic from the 30's but never used, or are you saying it's brand new/1930's styling? What changed in what you know that led to the razor change?

How do you know which razor works best? Is it pure preference, or something else?

Thanks for any help

xmacro:
    kuzi16:

good luck
    So when you say it's 1930's NEW - are you saying it's a relic from the 30's but never used, or are you saying it's brand new/1930's styling? What changed in what you know that led to the razor change?

How do you know which razor works best? Is it pure preference, or something else?

Thanks for any help

when i say "Gillette NEW" i mean the model of the razor. the first safety razor Gillette made was (after the release of the Gillette NEW) was the OLD TYPE.
    and to get technical, these arent even the models so much as the type of blade that they were designed to take.
    the OLD TYPE took thicker blades. they lasted longer but there were issues. Gillette started to produce thinner blades and therefor a NEW razor was needed. hence the Gillette NEW. the one i use is from abut 1938 (not 100% sure way to get a year) and it was used. i cleaned and sanitized it and now it is my daily shaver.

how did i know it was gunna be the razor for me?
    well... when i started with the Merkur HD 38c i was new to the classic shaving world. i had no clue. i shaved with that thing till i got "good" at it. i kind of got to the point where every shave was decent. it was never a great shave, but it was good. i was having a hard time not putting pressure on it and therefore it was a bit more harsh than i was looking for.
    i decided that i needed something lighter and less aggressive. i read about different razors on B&B and then decided that i should look for an open comb because i dont shave every day and an open comb doesnt lay down the hair before the blade blade so id get better bite. i also decided that i should get a milder shaver because i was having pressure issues. then one day at a flea market i saw the Gillette NEW and got it for $5. took it home and cleaned it. turns out that it was everything i was looking for in the razor.

it really does come down personal preference, but with a little bit of reading and research you can kinda move in the right direction as far as your decision goes.

i prefer a milder shaver. there is no way in hell i will ever shave with a slant. well... unless i wanna remove all the skin from my face.
    Much appreciated!! I just ordered a small kit, so we'll see how it all goes :)

EDIT - any opinions on this loadout:

Edwin Jagger DE89L Double Edge Safety Razor, Lined Chrome
    Tabac Original Shaving Soap with Bowl
    DE Blade Sampler Pack, Everything
    Feather "Kanwa" Herbal Aftershave Balm 250gr Refillable Bottle
    Edwin Jagger Best Badger Shaving Brush with Chrome Base, Imitation Horn
    Col. Conk Large Covered Onyx Bowl, Marble #182

• amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    xmacro:
    Much appreciated!! I just ordered a small kit, so we'll see how it all goes :)

EDIT - any opinions on this loadout:

Edwin Jagger DE89L Double Edge Safety Razor, Lined Chrome
    Tabac Original Shaving Soap with Bowl
    DE Blade Sampler Pack, Everything
    Feather "Kanwa" Herbal Aftershave Balm 250gr Refillable Bottle
    Edwin Jagger Best Badger Shaving Brush with Chrome Base, Imitation Horn
    Col. Conk Large Covered Onyx Bowl, Marble #182

You guys have perked my interests here. I've always just used a gillette good news plus and cream in a can. Didn't know there were so many options. xmacro let me know how that stuff works out.
    disposables are made with lower quality blades. it is very difficult to get a good shave with them. multi-blade razors also tend to cause more problems than a single blade in the hands of someone that knows how to use it.
    there is a learning curve but dont give up. the close shave and less irritation are worth it.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    @kuzi... If a guy wanted to start doing this, what all would he look to buy? Obviously a razor and some sort of cream, but what would be a "basic starter kit" (so to speak) to pick up/build? Looking at the westcostshaving site, there seem to be a ton of options. With all the soaps and creams, bowls and brushes, I'm at a loss as to where to even start. Thanks.
    any of the cheaper Murker razors are a good starting point.
    a blade sampler
    the crabtree and evelyn best badger brush is inexpensive and a good starter brush
    tobac shave soap lathers well, and so does Proraso for about half the price.
    make sure to get a good aftershave that is lotion based not alcohol based.

that should be a good starter. everything else is preference.
    Thanks for the info. I'll snoop around and see what all I can come up with.

Post number 1000!
    Just got my kit and tried a shave; lather was a bit low (prolly b/c I did it wrong), but the shave wasn't too bad. Honestly, I'm not seeing the allure here - the shave I got was about what I get with a Mach 5 razor and the goop when I shave twice - once with the grain, again against it - it just seems wet shaving has higher upfront costs than modern shaving, but long-term is much cheaper.

It should be mentioned that this was my first shave, that my skin is rather tough (I only suffer some mild irritation when I shave, even without goop/lather), and that I shave everyday, so this shave was only done on a days growth.

If I'm missing something, lemme know, but honestly, I currently see wet-shaving as a longer, more luxurious (and long-term cheaper) way of shaving, but not something that gives a superior/closer shave than a modern razor if you go over your skin twice
    xmacro:
    Just got my kit and tried a shave; lather was a bit low (prolly b/c I did it wrong), but the shave wasn't too bad. Honestly, I'm not seeing the allure here - the shave I got was about what I get with a Mach 5 razor and the goop when I shave twice - once with the grain, again against it - it just seems wet shaving has higher upfront costs than modern shaving, but long-term is much cheaper.

It should be mentioned that this was my first shave, that my skin is rather tough (I only suffer some mild irritation when I shave, even without goop/lather), and that I shave everyday, so this shave was only done on a days growth.

If I'm missing something, lemme know, but honestly, I currently see wet-shaving as a longer, more luxurious (and long-term cheaper) way of shaving, but not something that gives a superior/closer shave than a modern razor if you go over your skin twice
    did you do multiple passes ?
    ...and the first shave is hardly past the learning curve. it took me a month before i got a decent shave.
    for me the quality of shave was more noticed as my beard was growing back in. i was no longer getting in grown hairs and my overall skin quality went way up.

if your lather sucked that could be part of the issue.
    you may need more brush time on the face.

youve been shaving your face with the can of goo and a multi-blade since you started shaving. you have use this way once.
    its very hard to make a judgement after one shave when you are out of your shave element. give it time.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    I was taught by my barber (RIP) how to use a straight blade. I am also blessed that the only thing I need to shave is a razor. I don't use shave cream or gel. Just water. No irritation or ingrown hairs on my face. Just a couple on the neck years and years ago. I only use the straight blade once a week or so. Otherwise I touch up with a norelco. I keep a beard so it is not hard to maintain shaving a neck and cheeks.
    kuzi16:
    xmacro:

...and the first shave is hardly past the learning curve. it took me a month before i got a decent shave.
    for me the quality of shave was more noticed as my beard was growing back in. i was no longer getting in grown hairs and my overall skin quality went way up.

youve been shaving your face with the can of goo and a multi-blade since you started shaving. you have use this way once.
    its very hard to make a judgement after one shave when you are out of your shave element. give it time.
    True; I bought a badger brush, two things of soap, and the entire sampler pack of razors at West Coast Shaving, so I've got a huge inventory to go thru, so I'll stick with it. It should be mentioned that I did 3-4 shaves, and even though I cut myself on all the little nicks that the multi-blade usually passes over, and even though I shaved at 7 or 8 pm the night before, by 5pm the next day, I was still pretty damn smooth - so I'll keep watching mantic's videos' and trying this new fangled shaving

Quick question - when I assembled the razor, I unscrewed the head and stuck the blade in-between the two halves; it seems when I shave, that the razor only cuts if I hold it at a very specific angle - is this normal, or have I assembled it wrong?
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    xmacro:
    kuzi16:
    xmacro:

True; I bought a badger brush, two things of soap, and the entire sampler pack of razors at West Coast Shaving, so I've got a huge inventory to go thru, so I'll stick with it. It should be mentioned that I did 3-4 shaves, and even though I cut myself on all the little nicks that the multi-blade usually passes over, and even though I shaved at 7 or 8 pm the night before, by 5pm the next day, I was still pretty damn smooth - so I'll keep watching mantic's videos' and trying this new fangled shaving

Quick question - when I assembled the razor, I unscrewed the head and stuck the blade in-between the two halves; it seems when I shave, that the razor only cuts if I hold it at a very specific angle - is this normal, or have I assembled it wrong?
    From what I've studied on this subject, angle is what makes the difference in DE shaving and once you get that down it's smooth sailing. If you have the right angle no blade is to sharp I think I read somewhere.
    you assembled it correctly. the way you find the right angle is to hold the razor so the handle is perpendicular to your face. then you start to angle it down until the blade actually touches your face. the safety bar or comb will be either touching or almost touching your face. this will be about 30 degrees or so. the thought is that the safety bar, the blade, and the top poece of the razor should touch your face but with no pressure.
    Question - what's an alum block and why should I consider it?
    xmacro:
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it's used like a styptic pencil to stop bleeding.
    amz1301:
    xmacro:
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it's used like a styptic pencil to stop bleeding.
    Much appreciated. I've been shaving every day now, and this kinda shaving is starting to grow on me; butter smooth face and it's kinda fun to relax while shaving and enjoy it, even though I still cut myself to hell. So far, I've been shaving at night, around 7 or 8pm with 3 or 4 passes, and it lasts me through the next day; by 5pm the next evening, I'm still pretty smooth. Since I've got about 150 blades (courtesy of WCS everything sampler), I guess I'll keep this new hobby up for awhile
    xmacro:
    skin toner.
    i used to use one. i dont anymore.

it gives you feedback very quickly on how good your shave was.
    Found this off Badger and Blade website, figured I'd repost it here - a $100,000 razor: http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/08/19/is-this-razor-worth-100000/

kuzi16:
    xmacro:
    skin toner.

Is it like a skyptic (spelling?) pencil? Those little things that burn like hell when you use them on cuts?
    i thought they were completely different things. I could be wrong on this. personally i found no overall benefit to it so i stopped caring about it.
    kuzi16:

Is this to read: "burns like hell"?
    xmacro:
    kuzi16:
    xmacro:
    skin toner.

Is it like a skyptic (spelling?) pencil? Those little things that burn like hell when you use them on cuts?
    I thought they were sorta the same since I use a styptic on cuts and it has alum sulfate. After some research looks like they're kinda different. Here's a good link to read.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/37230-Styptic-Pencil-vs-Alum-Block
    skweekz:
    kuzi16:

Is this to read: "burns like hell"?
    yes... kinda.

its not supposed to burn like hell. you know you have a great shave when it is smooth and then there is no burn when the alum block is used.
    if there is burn this means that you used a bit too much pressure with your razor and you could be causing irritation and ingrown hairs.
    Much thanks for the help

Update - Tried swapping out my Feather blade for a Derby; went back to the Feathers; Derby just felt like it was pulling things - not really that bad, but not as smooth as the Feathers, I suppose. I'd like to try the Shark or Astra blades in a bit; heard those are good.