Home Non Cigar Related

Badger and Blade??

123457»

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Just read all 13 pages of this thread, I'm kinda tired of my razors tearing up my face, Kuzi, I have the same problem with whisker thickness, looks like a metal wire when I pull out an ingrown hair. I just don't think the disposable razors are up to the task of cutting something that thick. My dad can go about 2 weeks before he changes his and mine is about 2 shaves and they are done. and they are not great brand new.

Anyway, this gives me something to think about. I might be making a purchase soon.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    its only expensive once.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Merkur 38c Barberpole, Feather blades, Razorock artisan soap, and a silvertip badger brush, and Proraso aftershave; maybe a Dirty Bird Scuttle. It's all I need
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Dragging this one up from the dead...Revisited Feather blades today in my Merkur Heavy Classic, much better experience than when I tried them previously with the Long Classic. These are sharp as hell, and with the Heavy I find I have much better control and didn't end up with as much irritation as before. The Heavy allows me to shave with a much lighter touch and overall better positioning, and with that working in my favor I can really see using Feather blades in the future. I won't drop Derby as I still think they are a fantastic blade for my needs, but I can't help but be impressed with the Feather experience.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Awww, crap! As if my cigar habit wasn't enough, now I'm probably gonna spend my hard earned $.25/day on a new DE, shaving soap and a brush. Thanks, brothers, ya bunch of freaks! come to think of it, a hot bath, a glass of scotch and a good shave after a hard shift doesn't sound bad...
    "Jess, honey, I know what you can get me for Father's Day..."
    Check out classicshaving.com, they have just about everything you could ever want for your grooming needs. They have some decent kits for the newcomer. Just bought a new mug and a few different cake soaps myself today. The good thing, like kuzi said a few posts back, is that it's only costly once...unless you take the collector approach.
  • Un_SubUn_Sub Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 210
    I got my kit about 1 1/2 years ago...love it! I use the Parker 90R (Polished Nickel Plate – 4.25 Inches Long – 2.15 oz. Weight)
    Pure Badger Ivory Diffusion Shaving Brush by Edwin Jagger
    Old Style Barbers Shave Lather Scuttle mug.( Col. Ichabod Conk )
    Used with Col. Conk shave soap
    and I dispose of my blades in a Blade Bank

I think it is a very pleasurable and relaxing shave. I would never dream of going back to the crap I used to use! I got all of mine from Best grooming tools.com, except for the blade bank, got that from emsplace.com. If anyone needs a blade bank let me know, have extras!
    I've been getting myself back into the routine of shaving more frequently in the past couple weeks, I had forgotten how nice and relaxing a good shave can be.

This afternoon I tried out a new soap cake from http://classicshaving.com. This soap is made with wool fat and shea butter, the lanolin is quite good for the skin. Check it out here http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522960/8012398.htm. I'd highly recommend this one to any here who like a nice slick lather and those who suffer from dry skin could benefit as well. I purchased the Mountain Spice scent and like it quite a bit. While not a cheap cake of soap, it works very well and should last a good while.

Gear used:

Merkur Heavy Classic
    Feather blade
    Vulfix badger brush (unsure of the exact specs)
    And my Classic Shaving heavy, deep mug.

Splashed on a touch of Aqua Velva afterward and feeling like a million bucks.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    You want an insanely lathering cream, you gotta try Razorock artisan soaps - it's an italian soft soap, but it lasts forever and lathers like nobodies business, even with hard water. I swear by the stuff; love me the Muget de Bologna and Napoleon's Violet
    got this in the mail yesterday:
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    I really need to stop reading about shaving, i hate disposables, but i dont want to invest non-existent money into something else (shot glasses, jeep, cigars, etc...already consume it all)
    taythegibs:
    I really need to stop reading about shaving, i hate disposables, but i dont want to invest non-existent money into something else (shot glasses, jeep, cigars, etc...already consume it all)
    in the pic above of what i got in the mail i spent about $80. that will last me over a year. ...probably closer to 18 months. thats just shy of $5 A MONTH to have a fabulous shave. my razor was purchased at a flea market for $10 and i put maybe about 30 minutes worth of cleaning into it.

are you telling me you dont have $5 a month to get a good shave?

shenanigans. I call them.
    i buy my disposables in bulk and get them for $0.50-0.60 each and i can make one last three, maybe four weeks. i think it is the initial investment that scares me.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    taythegibs:
    How you think I feel? I shave my head lol only rock the goatee. I use a mach3 everytime brand new. when i done its gone. 24 bucks a week to shave...
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    taythegibs:
    How you think I feel? I shave my head lol only rock the goatee. I use a mach3 everytime brand new. when i done its gone. 24 bucks a week to shave...
    no way in hell i could afford or want to pay for that.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    You guys are bad (or good?) influences. Figured I would give this a shot and just snagged an old Gillette off of ebay. Hopefully it goes okay because it really makes me mad each time I have to buy a pack of the cartridges for the mach3.
    get a pic of it up lease.
    TTO super speed from the 60s? date code of F-1 ?
    wither way, nice looking razor. my dad had one like that save for one difference: it was a "red tip"
    that looks exactly the same but the part you twis to open it up was red. the red indicated that it was a bit more aggressive, where as a blue was less aggressive. the one you have there is the "normal" one
    of course i dont know my razors anywhere near as well as cigars so this could all be wrong. thats just my guess...
    From the reading I've done you are correct, this is the mid-line of the TTOs. The date code is k2 made in '65. I may grab a Merkur or Jagger if I stick with it, but this should be a good inexpensive starting point.
    i have a merkur HD 38c and i almost never use it. the mid 1930s Gillette NEW is a much better shaver in my opinion. of course, your face is different than mine and that may be a good way for you to go. didnt do well for me though. i keep it because it does shave well i just cant seem to control it as well due to its weight. if i were to get another Merkur i would go for the classic open comb.

if you wanna borrow my HD 38c i can ship it out and you can get a few shaves with it to see if you like it and send it back after a month or so.
    Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind.