Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    This is the mug I passed up looks like I shouldn't have.

• amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    stephen_hannibal:

Pick one up man, only used it once but so far so good. I brewed straight from the Keurig into it (you gotta tilt it but it fit under mine) two hours later it was still so hot I could barely drink it. Got mine at Target it was actually cheaper than online. I Read the reviews on it before hand they're pretty good. The top actually disassembles so you can clean it well. Get the one with the handle (the mug), I read it's hard to tell where the mouth spout is on the Tumbler.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    amz1301:
    stephen_hannibal:

Pick one up man, only used it once but so far so good. I brewed straight from the Keurig into it (you gotta tilt it but it fit under mine) two hours later it was still so hot I could barely drink it. Got mine at Target it was actually cheaper than online. I Read the reviews on it before hand they're pretty good. The top actually disassembles so you can clean it well. Get the one with the handle (the mug), I read it's hard to tell where the mouth spout is on the Tumbler.
    Cool, a coffee thread. This// is my best friend in the morning. I've had it for almost 2 yrs now, and it hasn't let me down. The 360 spout design is what caught my eye. Keurig FTW!
    Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    for store brand coffe stuff you can get at walmart i like folgers black silk its dark and bold but not oily or bitter.I also like gevalia coffee its mail order ony and a little pricey but excellent coffee
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    danielzreyes:
    amz1301:
    stephen_hannibal:

Cool, a coffee thread. This// is my best friend in the morning. I've had it for almost 2 yrs now, and it hasn't let me down. The 360 spout design is what caught my eye. Keurig FTW!
    Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)
    Man k cups rule. Ill have to snap a shot of my setup.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    laker1963:
    I buy "green" beans. For those who are not in the know... that has nothing to do with environmental stuff. They are un-roasted. I roast them at home. Today was a nice Full City roast of Guatemalan beans. Very similar to coffee from Peru. MMMM
    +1 to the roasting of beans I have an iRoaster that I was given as a gift for my birthday. My father in law got me started and I haven't done it in a while, but tonight seems like a good to get back into it!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Has anyone used an air popcorn popper to roast their beans? Have read about it and thinking about giving it a try
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    My fiance and I order our coffee from www.mysticmonkcoffee.com. Haven't had a bean I didn't like from them yet.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    I always buy whole bean and grind it myself. Been on a serious Rawandan kick lately. Ground coffee in a can..."shudder"
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    Direwolf:
    Has anyone used an air popcorn popper to roast their beans? Have read about it and thinking about giving it a try
    my roaster uses hot air, and then cold air. Im fairly sure that a popcorn maker will burn the beans, but I've not looked into it.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Toombes:
    I always buy whole bean and grind it myself. Been on a serious Rawandan kick lately. Ground coffee in a can..."shudder"
    yeah my roomie has a bean grinder thing and I told her I can never go back to coffee in a can ever again. Lately I've been having 8 O clock cause I've been poor, but there is a blend my roomie gets from Boston that is omgthesex for Coffee, I'll have to ask her later what it's called so I can post it, but it is the best coffee I have ever had
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Toombes:
    Ground coffee in a can..."shudder"
    ++++++
    My feelings exactly. At home my fiance and I use a Bodum burr grinder and then either a Moka Pot or Chemex for brewing. And we buy all our whole beans fresh from a local roaster (Silver Bridge Coffee Co.)

We were at the in laws this past weekend and they're not big coffee drinkers - all they had was ground Starbucks holiday blend from about 1 yr ago .... we had to have our morning cup'o'joe but it was a struggle to get through a cup. Certainly not the same as at home LOL.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    You guys roast your own nuts? Coffee from weasel crap? Whoa that is hard-core.
    Anybody tried new roasts lately?
    We just got a bag of whole bean, Dominican Republic roast.....it's awesome. Strong and very rich - some sweetness with chocolate favors to it too, it's more like a dessert drink. I'm going to have to do a fine grind with this and try it as an espresso.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    My girlfriend and I went to a coffee tasting/seminar recently. It was with a small company near us who happens to be the only Vietnamese coffee importer in the US. Got to try the famed Kopi Luwak and ended up walking away with a 4oz bag for $32. In all honesty, that coffee really is amazing.

Right now, it's Starbucks Black Apron Reserve Honduras. I'm not a huge fan of the regular lines from Starbucks as they tend to be very over roasted. However, the Black Apron Reserves are intended to be consumed black or with a touch of sugar, rather than with syrup, sugar, milk, cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg, so they tend to be more careful in the roasting process with these.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I've been loving Peet's Major Dickason's or their French Roast from the press.
    Very cool that you got to do a coffee tasting/seminar, Rob. I've never heard of anything like that around here but would love to do something like that.

Was it just a tasting or did they talk about different beans, roasting, gridning/brewing styles, etc too?
    I'd love to sit down with "experts" and do a tasting and learn more about the whole process and figure out how each step affects the final flavors of the cup of coffee.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    jgibv:
    Very cool that you got to do a coffee tasting/seminar, Rob. I've never heard of anything like that around here but would love to do something like that.

Was it just a tasting or did they talk about different beans, roasting, gridning/brewing styles, etc too?
    I'd love to sit down with "experts" and do a tasting and learn more about the whole process and figure out how each step affects the final flavors of the cup of coffee.
    +10,, Ive only heard about the Kopi Luwak,, Ill have to try some,, Been sippin on the Dunkin Donuts blend here lately,, One of my favs is the coffee from Kona I really enjoy its aroma and subtle nuances..I like Seattles Best too,, ANother coffee that I really like is a Louisiana blend with chicory.. Cafe Du Monde
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Rob1110:
    My girlfriend and I went to a coffee tasting/seminar recently. It was with a small company near us who happens to be the only Vietnamese coffee importer in the US. Got to try the famed Kopi Luwak and ended up walking away with a 4oz bag for $32. In all honesty, that coffee really is amazing.

Right now, it's Starbucks Black Apron Reserve Honduras. I'm not a huge fan of the regular lines from Starbucks as they tend to be very over roasted. However, the Black Apron Reserves are intended to be consumed black or with a touch of sugar, rather than with syrup, sugar, milk, cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg, so they tend to be more careful in the roasting process with these.

Rob1110 have you ever had a Kopi Luwak cigar ? They are freakin amazing ... if you like the coffey you will love the cigar . Honestly one of my favs . I smoked my last one not to long ago and need to pick up some more next time at the B&M .
    Just started getting into coffee a couple months ago. I'm almost finished building my DIY bread machine coffee bean roaster. Gonna try roasting my own green coffee beans. Supposedly there's no substitute for fresh roasted and grinded beans.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    I love roasting my own beans. This morning it is Nicaraguan beans I roasted last night before bed. Nothing like a cup of coffee like this in the morning and a spot of sunshine to sit in while enjoying a good stick.
    laker1963:
    I love roasting my own beans. This morning it is Nicaraguan beans I roasted last night before bed. Nothing like a cup of coffee like this in the morning and a spot of sunshine to sit in while enjoying a good stick.
    I was on sweetmarias site today trying to decide which beans to try first. I'll have to post some pics of my homemade roaster and cooling when I get finished.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    You will have to show me how Sir....
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    The tasting was really cool, though it was way too much coffee to consume in one sitting and we both ended up sick for the night from being over caffeinated. They talked about different beans, species/varieties (interesting to hear how many types of coffee there were originally and how there are really only 4 commercially farmed species now and 3 are rare), brewing styles, grind, etc. It's interesting stuff.

Each step can potentially change the final cup by a great deal. The type of bean, the soil and climate in which it's grown, how it's harvested, how it's dried, how it's roasted, how fresh it is before consumption, how it's ground, the temperature of the water and how long it is steeped and even the temperature at which you begin to sip the coffee are all contributing factors to how the coffee will taste.

@gmill - I've seen the kopi luwak cigars around but haven't tried one yet. I do have some beer from Mikkeller that claims to have been brewed with Kopi. Might be a good pair for that cigar.
    DIY bread machine / heat gun coffee bean roaster pretty well finished up. May have to make a couple tweeks after the first roast. Here's a couple pics. Picked up the bread machine at goodwill for $8.00. Disassembled it then re-wired the motor to a simple on/off toggle switch that you can see I mounted on the old control board.

Next is the bean cooler for after they're done roasting. Beans go in wire mesh covered colander on the top and shop vacuum hose goes in the bottom. Turn on the shop vacuum and it pulls cool air through the beans to cool them. image

Roasting will be done outdoors and I have a good fire extinguisher on hand. Anyone who wants to see how one works just google it. There are plenty of videos on the net.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    That's very cool Andrew. Makes my campfire popcorn popper/roaster look even more low tech. Hope it works well for you.
    j0z3r:
    That's very cool Andrew. Makes my campfire popcorn popper/roaster look even more low tech. Hope it works well for you.
    I did a pretty good amount of reading on the net. I was going to go with the old school air popcorn popper but I read alot of people get very good results with the bread machine method. I spent about $50 total putting it all together. All the pre-made roasters that have good reviews are high dollar. Going to try and pick out some beans tonight.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    amz1301:
    DIY bread machine / heat gun coffee bean roaster pretty well finished up. May have to make a couple tweeks after the first roast. Here's a couple pics. Picked up the bread machine at goodwill for $8.00. Disassembled it then re-wired the motor to a simple on/off toggle switch that you can see I mounted on the old control board.

Next is the bean cooler for after they're done roasting. Beans go in wire mesh covered colander on the top and shop vacuum hose goes in the bottom. Turn on the shop vacuum and it pulls cool air through the beans to cool them. image

Roasting will be done outdoors and I have a good fire extinguisher on hand. Anyone who wants to see how one works just google it. There are plenty of videos on the net.
    damn bro,, you got that heat gun on low???
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    amz1301:
    j0z3r:
    I did a pretty good amount of reading on the net. I was going to go with the old school air popcorn popper but I read alot of people get very good results with the bread machine method. I spent about $50 total putting it all together. All the pre-made roasters that have good reviews are high dollar. Going to try and pick out some beans tonight.
    I've got some nice sumatra beans if you'd like a 1/2lb or so to mess around with.