Home Cigar 101

Developing Your Palate

1234568»

Comments

• timtomtimtom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 40
    Does it take time to distinguish one taste from another? I only get a tobacco taste. That's it nothing more. I have been smoking one or two a month for a few months now.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Absolutely. It's something you learn over time.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,606
    timtom:
    Does it take time to distinguish one taste from another? I only get a tobacco taste. That's it nothing more. I have been smoking one or two a month for a few months now.
    im a believer in this. I've been smoking for two years now and all last year I got the same thing you did. It wasn't until I started learning how to retrohaler that I really found flavora I didn't notice before. For me I feel that a 1 to 2 puffs a minute is ideal. Of course, every cigar is different
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    what really helped me develop my palate was actively tasting everything that i ate and actively smelling everything i smelled.
    ...not just in cigars.

dont lead a passive flavor/smell life.

If you are eating or drinking something, anything, make sure to take the time to understand what you are tasting. when you walk into a leather shop, take a deep smell of it. understand it.

i mean, how do you expect to recognize mushrooms, or stone fruit, or leather, or coffee, or any other flavor in a cigar if you have no reference point?

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    For me I get more medleys then anything...being a chef I try to find each flavor but really it's the all over "meal" I find intriguing. Take for instance the opus x... I find a lot of raisins and dried fruit but still couldn't tell you what fruit besides the raisins
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    timtom:

I think the key is to try different brands and blends. I still can not identify different fruits as Lee said or different subtle variations. I think there is a big difference between mild, medium and full cigars. To me, some blenders have a consistent flavor. Try different brands and strengths and you should notice a difference.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    timtom:
    My ability to distinguish exact flavors has not improved much over time. I don't have the ability to execute precise detection of the differences in flavors. I can taste differences. But, I can't necessarily separate them and label the differences. I wish I could but, instead I have a very basic plan to find cigars that are most enjoyable to me so I can re-visit them in the future.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Bump for new folks who've joined this holiday season #5
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    if you are new to the world-of-cigars and haven't seen this thread yet, give it a read.
    the first post by kuzi has some phenomenal information & insights