Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406

I have only tried two so far, the Cusano and the RP. Kind of a toss-up as to which I liked better. I just got some of the Matasa too, but going to let them sit. I agree that the regular RP are better. Actually got a few new ones of thoses I am waiting to try too (signature, fusion and double maduro)

BTW - where in Chicago area are you?

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Western suburbs of Chicago, but I work less than a mile from the city. Of the Rocky line I suggest the Vintage line '92 and '90. With the legend cigars, all are good for the low price of 5:00 bucks ( or less in bundles or 5 packs) but I think the best value comes with that Graycliff.

Haven't tried a Graycliff yet, but would have to agree based on what I have seen with the list prices. Have had a great deal of success with picking up exceptional bargains on the auction sites.

I live in Naperville.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ive had one or two but it was so long ago that i cant be a good judge... i dont remember it being bad.
    Really.... We are close a few towns north on route 59.. my brother lives in naperville, nice neighborhood..
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Tonight I had a Punch maduro rothschild. This was an enjoyable enough cigar, I'd smoke it again, but I must say I prefer the standard Punch punch to this one. Aside from that, even burn, firm white ash, delicate wrapper that cracked when I gave it a little squeeze. I'd give it an 8/10.

Joe

Yesterday for me was a CAO Black Mosaic and a HDM Tradicion. CAO was ok, with all the hype I have seen thought it would be better. Maybe the size (6.5 x 44) wasn't the best for this particular smoke. Really liked the HDM though. Excellent construction and burn, a real good medium strength cigar

It is, you should check out Bull and Bear if you are ever in town
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Yesterday I had the Pinar "Legal Cuban Tobacco" Maduro Torpedo that I got free from an event they had at a local B&M. It was right outta the humidor and very damp (I guess that's the word I'd use). Cigar got very soft on my and getting smoke out of it was like pulling teeth.

The saving grace that made me stick through it was the fact the quote on the box said "Brett Favre's Favorite cigar" so I stuck around for some good taste but let it die at about 2.5"

Nate
    today was full of bad news. i wont go through it all but let it stand that it was BAD on the political front and the economic front. however, i personally had a very good day. its partly cloudy and 75 outside. there is a cool breeze. I spent the afternoon in my garden trimming my roses and smoking a 5 vegas series A robusto. I love that cigar. it was great. There were kids playing baseball in the park accross the street and people mowing their lawns. it made me happy to be alive and in the neighborhood im in. this is why i smoke cigars.
  • jpen74jpen74 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    I am going to smoke a Gurkha Beast tonight.  I love this cigar.
    jpen74:
    I am going to smoke a Gurkha Beast tonight.  I love this cigar.
    nice
    I take it Bull and Bear is a cigar shop with a sports theme. I will check it out when I am in your neighborhood. What street is it on ?
    Hey jpen I hope you have nothing planned that monster ( Beast ) should take a while. I have one resting but never seem to have the time to fully enjoy it..
    Glad you had a good one Kuzi, I love 5 Vegas thanks to the high praise I have heard here. I seldom invest in box lots on Cigars , most often I buy singles, five packs or samplers. This is one that I made sure I never run out of. A great cigar to hand out to new or novice smokers, and a long timer will truely enjoy it as well. five stars for sure ***** Classic, A, and now Miami...All very fine.
    Right downtown, small shopping center across from Barnes and Noble. Think it is  on Chicago
  • handypantzhandypantz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    tonight im smoking a Correnti petite corona .... I could give a rats ass if its smuggled as this cigar's tobacco is directly imported from cuba to toronto and then hand rolled in a little cigar shop downtown. This is by far one of the best cigars ive ever smoked. Politics aside the draw is perfect fairly tight but with plenty of smoke. Full flavored and not to powerful. This is the first cigar i ever smoked and will continue to enjoy this cigar until i die. I wish i could give every cigar aficionado this cigar to try...it is an original cuban...and hand rolled daily by old lady torcedors......i wish everyone was here enjoying this smoke right now....im biased i know...but you wouldnt understand until you tried one...if you are ever in toronto...look up correnti because they make an amazing product and should be rich as hell...but are a small family owned operation that doenst get much more than pleasure from the making of their family cigars.
    Last night for me was a Rocky OSG robusto. Spicy and flavorful - very similar to the Sun Grown. Highly recommend and a great value. 
  • dep691dep691 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    Just getting around to posting this been busy at work. Sunday in the morning had a olivia o awesome smoke, lots of smoke, great taste of coffee thought about smoking another one right after finishing but thought better of it. In the afternoon finally tried the 5 vegas shorty, hated it reminded me of smoking a cigarette put it out and lit up a cao black as always can't go wrong with it. Then to finish fathers day off had a monte 2 I don't think I need to write a review on that one, just to say what a way to finish the day off.
    sdip:
    Last night for me was a Rocky OSG robusto. Spicy and flavorful - very similar to the Sun Grown. Highly recommend and a great value. 
    the OSG is the Original Sun Grown. first batch. thats why its simaler to the sungrown.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Hey sdip, do you have any more of those OSG's? I've been wanting to try them. And of course Kuz is on the money.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 196
    handypantz:
    tonight im smoking a Correnti petite corona .... I could give a rats ass if its smuggled as this cigar's tobacco is directly imported from cuba to toronto and then hand rolled in a little cigar shop downtown. This is by far one of the best cigars ive ever smoked. Politics aside the draw is perfect fairly tight but with plenty of smoke. Full flavored and not to powerful. This is the first cigar i ever smoked and will continue to enjoy this cigar until i die. I wish i could give every cigar aficionado this cigar to try...it is an original cuban...and hand rolled daily by old lady torcedors......i wish everyone was here enjoying this smoke right now....im biased i know...but you wouldnt understand until you tried one...if you are ever in toronto...look up correnti because they make an amazing product and should be rich as hell...but are a small family owned operation that doenst get much more than pleasure from the making of their family cigars.
    I'm jealous man it sure sounds like a great cigar!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    madurofan:
    Hey sdip, do you have any more of those OSG's? I've been wanting to try them. And of course Kuz is on the money.
    maduro, I've got a handful of the OSG's, I wouldn't mind parting with a couple of 'em. Shoot me a pm if you want to work out a trade or something.
    I do, send me a pm and I will send you a 5 pack.
    right, I read that he started working on the OSG, but got side-tracked with the Vintage line and let the OSG fall off. Really is a great cigar and you can get them on the cheap right now. The major auction sites seem to always have them. Don't believe Ccom carries them.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Tonight I am smoking a Gurkha Regent tht came in my PIF from Kuzi. Great stick, my first Gurkha.

I paired it with a nice tall, ice cold glass of chocolate milk. I read somewhere that chocolate milk is supposed to great with cigars. I thought it sounded crazy at first, but decided to give it a try. Not bad at all...
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I like to have some milk after a smoke. It tastes especially cool and sweet, and soothes everything.

I had a Hemingway tonight, and it was disappointing. Details in my log.
    urbino:
    I like to have some milk after a smoke. It tastes especially cool and sweet, and soothes everything.
    its about how taste buds work. the milk is almost the exact opposite of how a cigar tastes. you taste things better when they are completely different. that is why i drink OJ when i eat pizza. it makes both taste better.
    O.J and Pizza that would burn a hole right through my stomach. Both cause great suffering when I have them. Some ulcer thing I developed a while back. That's an experiment I can never try so I will take your word on that one.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Yeah, pizza I can do, but OJ is hell on wheels in my stomach.