Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I tried a Cuban Classic myself several months ago, and I really liked the cigar as well. Very peppery as I recall. its one of those cigars I plan to revisit.
  • carmike22carmike22 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    sdip I had the same opion about the Padilla I smoked. Not a bad smoke, but definately could have used more complexity to it. Tonight was a 2 smoke night for me also. First I had me a La Aurora Preferidos Maduro. Awesome smoke. Loved every minute of it. Will definately have to buy more of those in the future. And as I'm writing this I'm smoking a Nub Cameroon 464 Torpedo. Not a bad smoke at all. Happy smoking everbody.
    Tonight I had a Perdomo Cuban Parejo belicoso fino rosado ( say that ten times fast ). I expected this cigar to be stronger than it was, I also expected it to be spicier as I had thought a rosado wrapper had that characteristic. If I had to describe this cigar in one word, I'd call it "woody", throughout the duration of the smoke the taste of cedar was present. As far as complexity goes, I'd call this one pretty simple, however, I think its beauty is in its simplicity, it does one thing and it does it well. Overall, I'm pleased with this cigar and I will certainly have more in the future. A good medium-full bodied cigar for those who like the taste of cedar on their cigars as much as I do.

Joe
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Tonight I tried an RP signature. I would say it was just ok. Draw was very loose and flavor was a bit too mild for me - much milder than all of the other RPs I have smoked
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    It was the Nub Connecticut, for me. A nice little smoke. Not just loaded with flavor, but nothing really wrong with it, either. I'll say more in my log, tomorrow.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Re: Whatcha smokin tonight?

19 pounds of pork.

I put 2 large boston butts in the smoker a couple hours ago. I meant to start them last night and let them cook overnight, but got home really late, so I might not get to eat dinner until 10 or 11 tonight.

Oh, you meant what cigar am I smoking...

Getting ready to light up a stick from a local manufacturer, New Orleans Cigar Company. They were giving them out last night at an event put on by the Contemporary Art Center and the Bourbon House restaurant called "Bourbon & Burlesque". They had a cigar loungue on the top floor with a guy there rolling. When I saw the flyer advertising a wide selection of premium bourbons, complimentary cigars, and mostly naked women, I thought they must have designed the event just for me...

Three cigar day for me. Over coffee this morning I had a Perdomo Champagne. Excellent mild cigar with lots of flavor.  While doing some yardwork I smoked a Cusano Corojo 97 robusto - ok cigar. Tonight I tried a Legends Blue label (Matasa). Started off excellent, but never really developed -still wasn't bad.

Off to Vegas (for business) tomorrow - hope to have a couple over blackjack sometime while I am there.

Quite a day, sdip. Myself, I just finished a Graycliff Legend, and oh. my. god. This, dear hearts, is a yummy smoke. And cheap. I'll definitely be keeping these in my humidor.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Yeah, I have mentioned that here before.. For the Five bucks this is unreal, I think the best in the line. But don't tell too many people or they will be hard to get. OOOPS to late..
    And at box price, they're only $3.50, which is a bigger break than normal and, IMHO, a steal.
    Agreed, I had never tried any Graycliff smokes because they seemed to costly. So when I first saw the Legends line I figured that would be a good chance to see what they were all about. I now know why their cigars were in the upper brackets..Worth it..
    Same here, man. I figured I'd try a Graycliff when they got around to putting one in the COTMC selection or something, or maybe I'd buy one or two with a bigger order sometime.
    Yup, when i start ordering online I set a target number and when I get close I will top it off with a Gray..Or find a sampler with one hiding in it ....
  • GaryKGaryK Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 15
    Graycliff "Legend"??? Where do you get those? I can't find them anywhere. I find Gurkha Legend, but not Graycliff....

Gary:

Another web merchant has a line of cigars, each manufactured by a different company. Line is called Legends.

Gary I will e-mail you the answer, check your in box..
    I enjoyed that Graycliff Legend so much last night, I had another tonight. Once again, excellent. Have I found a new favorite cigar?
    Today was a Gran Habano 3 Siglos..Gran Robusto. Wow this cigar was superb from the start, It was very complex in flavors with so much going on it seemed to change with each puff. I was really impressed with this one and since this was a single stick I have to get more. Highly recomend..
    You're on quite a winning streak, kas.
    My streak has been a bit hit or miss as of late. Tonight I had a J L Salazar Y Hermanos Reserva Especial toro. This cigar has some heft to it, it is densely packed and feels solid in the hand, the draw, however, is surprisingly easy compared to what I thought it would be. So here's the good part, the cigar exhibited a nice and diverse flavor profile, I detected a bittersweet chocolate taste, probably best described as cocoa, a hint of coffee and perhaps a trace of cedar. And the not so good, the burn required constant touch ups as the wrapper is quite thick and oily, also the cigar is a bit too young to have mellowed sufficiently to lose its harshness, as this is quite a full bodied cigar.... I found that out when I stood up and my head spun a bit.

All told, I think this is a good cigar that simply needs some age on it. Currently I have 2-3 months of age on it, I think the cigar will be quite nice in another 6-8 months after its harsher characteristics have mellowed and the flavors have balanced out a bit.
  • spinnerbaitspinnerbait Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    I work as a sales consultant and after a long tuff day I enjoyrd a Vegas A torpedo. After a wonderful roast beef dinner I like this nice dark black smoke. Later in the evening I smoked a La Aurora rubusto, another wonderfully mellow smoke. After a long day, there is nothing like a good smoke.
    spinnerbait:
    After a long day, there is nothing like a good smoke.
    I'll drink to that.
    Very funny urbino, Dusty Baker my a**. I would have believed Ray Knight and the Reds..But the Singlos was very good.I do plan on picking up some purples soon, maybe we can compare notes on that one soon..
    Dude, I wasn't trying to be funny. I never even thought of the trivia game. I just meant you seem to have hit a series of winning cigars in this thread. Get the consolation question over there and I'll send you some purples. (Not to be confused with giving you a purple nurple.)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i didnt smoke anyting tonight, but i wish i had. the beer in my hand was a Magic hat. that would have been great with something like a partagas black.
    I just finished an Oliva Serie G, the first Oliva I've ever had. It was an excellent smoke. I'll post a fuller review in my log, tomorrow.
  • MrJesse34MrJesse34 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7

When I first started smoking cigars I went for the 5 Vegas sampler pack they had.  Not bad, at the time they seemed like a great, inexpensive smoke.  That was back in 2001.  I just ordered the most recent 5 Vegas sampler to have a few inexpensive smokes on hand.  The 5 Vegas classics in the sampler tasted bad, almost as if they had fermented too much.   I really wasn't too happy with this sampler.  Maybe its just that I have a different taste when it comes to cigars, but the 5 Vegas really didn't do it for me this time.

As for what I'm smoking tonite - Carlos Torano Signature.

• MarkbbMarkbb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 196
    MrJesse34:

When I first started smoking cigars I went for the 5 Vegas sampler pack they had.  Not bad, at the time they seemed like a great, inexpensive smoke.  That was back in 2001.  I just ordered the most recent 5 Vegas sampler to have a few inexpensive smokes on hand.  The 5 Vegas classics in the sampler tasted bad, almost as if they had fermented too much.   I really wasn't too happy with this sampler.  Maybe its just that I have a different taste when it comes to cigars, but the 5 Vegas really didn't do it for me this time.

As for what I'm smoking tonite - Carlos Torano Signature.

Was the whole sampler a dude, I normally like the 5 Vegas series...the gold,red, Miami and the limitada, Now the Carlos Torano sounds interesting!
    Well had my long-awaited Titan from the club and it was a bust. Draw and burn were terrible. I could detect some great potential in the flavors but the draw made it impossible to enjoy. I have three more I got cheap on auction, but I am going to let them sit awhile. Also had a Cuesta Rey Sungrown - another disappointment with the burn. Have a couple of these before and really enjoyed them. Best couple of smokes this week for me have been a Victor Sinclair Bohemian and an Indian Tabac Cameroon legend. The Bohemian is a decent smoke and I have had a few before. First IT Cam and it was really excellent (and a good value)
  • zacharypzacharyp Editor, Everyone, Owners, ReaderUser, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 5
    Just got myself a Gurkha 'Legendary' Mega-Sampler last week and felt it was time to test out the Gurkha ’8 Year Aged’ Legend Robusto (6" x 50). Being a nice pleasant evening I figuring on a nice hearty dinner, then go out to the porch with my legend and sip something strong and enjoy the evening. Being such a greenhorn smoker, I have to say I so enjoy just watching the smoke curl and flow as you smoking. good stuff all around.