Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Welcome Gabe. Have you tried the Gurkha Legend or Symphony? Also, the RP Signature, Alec Bradley Pryme, and Carlos Torano Casa Torano are all really good sticks IMO that fit your description.

Just got finished with a CAO Gold, courtesy of Jozr. I probably should've let it rest a little more, but I enjoyed it anyway. Very mellow but still flavorful. I had a LVH Cameroon before that, but put it out a little over halfway in. Definately would not reccomend that one to anyone. Out of the three wrappers I have tried on the LVH, the only I really liked was the Corojo, which was a pretty good smoke. I still have the Maduro to try, but I'm not really too excited about it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    That's interesting that you got a CAO Gold from me alien...I've never even had one in my humidor. :) Maybe it was a CAO Black? I think I might have sent you one of those.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    alienmisprint:
    Welcome Gabe. Have you tried the Gurkha Legend or Symphony? Also, the RP Signature, Alec Bradley Pryme, and Carlos Torano Casa Torano are all really good sticks IMO that fit your description.

Just got finished with a CAO Gold, courtesy of Jozr. I probably should've let it rest a little more, but I enjoyed it anyway. Very mellow but still flavorful. I had a LVH Cameroon before that, but put it out a little over halfway in. Definately would not reccomend that one to anyone. Out of the three wrappers I have tried on the LVH, the only I really liked was the Corojo, which was a pretty good smoke. I still have the Maduro to try, but I'm not really too excited about it.

Thanks for the welcome.
    Havent tried any of those will have to soon.I had a CAO Gold Maduro last weekend.Was pretty good especially the last half.How is the CAO Brazilia?Someone reccomended that to me.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Speaking of rich and creamy with no pepper, I had a great San Cristobol robusto tonight. Lots of cocoa flavors, very creamy. Great burn - I nubbed that mother since it was beautiful here today, about 70 degrees. Drank some Harp and enjoyed the ever-livin hell out of this.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I just finished a gurkha corniche churchill, had some massive ash on it as I did take 2 pics, and will upload soon. They are suppose to be non-infused but damn they are littered with a honey smell and taste. A nice cigar though the 7+ length I think is a tad much. the torp would be more to my liking. I seem to feel cigars around the 5.5 to 6 are perfect for me.
    j0z3r:
    That's interesting that you got a CAO Gold from me alien...I've never even had one in my humidor. :) Maybe it was a CAO Black? I think I might have sent you one of those.
    No, this was definately a gold. Maybe I got it in the movie trivia package from Garen.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Yesterday was a good day. Went down to Jungle Jim's with my friend and his dad and got an AF Sungrown, La Aurora Barrel Aged, RP '92, and a Punch Rare Corojo. Smoked the Fuente last night...definitely my favorite cigar.
    i just finished a gurkha beast, wow I forgot how good and tasty this thing is. man it so so chocolaty and mellow. I just picked up a xikar 008 punch and it is a real nice punch for the larger ring gauges. I totally recommend it. I now know that my 007 is dull as the 08 goes through cigars like butter.... now I just need to get it sharpened...
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    It was a rare 3 cigar day for me. I started with a Gurkha Signature 101 yesterday then moved to a RP Sun Grown Torpedo. This two cigars are much different. The Gurkha was a little bitter but the RP was nice. Finished off with a Oliva Series G Maduro Torpedo. It was ok. It may have been that my palette was shot but I wasn't impressed. I have a couple more so I can re-evaluate soon.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Had a 3 Sigilos earlier and am now in the middle of a Fonseca Habana Seleccion.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    RP signature series...excellent smoke...continuing a string of very good cigars.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    Today was a very rare day for me; it was a two Gurkha day. It was bittersweet, as usual for me with a Gurkha.

First was a Centurian sent to me by Jozer in a MAW a couple mos back. I wanted to try another before I made a judgment on this cigar, because the first experience with one wasn't too positive. I have to say that the second was much better. While I experienced a cracked wrapper in it before lighting it, as I did with the other (which eventually unraveled), this one held up and smoked pretty spot on. It had an incredible draw, which I will give credit to Jozer, assuming that he had these resting for a decent period of time. I enjoyed the Centurian this time around and look forward to the others Joe sent. Thanks again Joe.

The second Gurkha on the docket today was the Triple Ligero. While I did not have much rest on this one, I was hoping the best. Unfortunately, this one had some construction problems. Draw was incredibly tight and after being lit for a while, I could feel some areas where it was most likely plugged. I smoked it as best as I could and used a toothpick to attempt to loosen things up, but with no real success. The plug was a little too high in the stick for the toothpick to reach, it did temporarily provide some relief but was not much of a permanent fix. After about 3 inches in, and a little too much kneading and poking on my part, a crack developed and as doom was had, it split apart in a heartbeat. Eh, on a good note, what I was getting was pretty good. I think the tight draw took away from the power and flavor this cigar could have had, but what I experienced wasn't bad, just a pain.

I'm not trying to close the door on a particular brand, I'm still too green behind the ears to do something so hasty, but I wouldn't mind any suggestions when it comes to Gurkhas. I keep them with most of my other sticks at about 65%, yet tend to have issues with fragile wrappers and tight draws. Do they work well with years of age? As most of them I've had have had 6 mos or less rest. Fill me in on the tricks, Gurkha lovers.
    Had a Bolivar lonsdale this morning. Awesome stick, I am going to have to keep a few of those in my humi from now on. I just got finished with a LVH Early Years and while it tasted great, the construction was very bad. It canoed really bad, and after 2 corrective lights, I clipped the whole end off and went to re-light it. That is when I noticed the filler had been rolled in way that made a hollow "u" pattern down the entire side. Hopefully this was a fluke, and I am going to get another one to try because the taste was there, but a burn that bad really ruins the smoke.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Finished the weekend with a Sancho Panza double maduro.Wasnt expecting much and didnt get much for flavor until the very end.Still not bad for a cheaper smoke.Burned perfect with a great draw.Pretty enjoyable just not complex or rich enough for me.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Dude Love:
    Yesterday was a good day. Went down to Jungle Jim's with my friend and his dad and got an AF Sungrown, La Aurora Barrel Aged, RP '92, and a Punch Rare Corojo. Smoked the Fuente last night...definitely my favorite cigar.

they have cigars at jungle jims?? i didn't know that... i knew they had a pretty good booze selection though, but never knew about the cigars.

we might have to get together sometime and have a couple smokes btw, as i work in fostoria.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Yea, they have a decent sized walk-in right before the booze section. Good prices on everything too, not typical B&M mark-up.

Yeah, I'd love to hang and smoke with ya sometime. It'll probably be towards the end of April cause college is kicking my ass right now!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Dude Love:
    Yea, they have a decent sized walk-in right before the booze section. Good prices on everything too, not typical B&M mark-up.

Yeah, I'd love to hang and smoke with ya sometime. It'll probably be towards the end of April cause college is kicking my ass right now!

yeah, i know the feeling. mechanical engineering isn't the easiest $hit in the world, haha. i've been working at thyssenkrupp since Jan-06 as an engineering co-op student and the plant is going to be closing soon. even worse than that, the university i go to is 85% male :(

say, is there any place around there to get decent sticks? i didn't see anything in the seneca or hancock county phonebook, and it'd be nice to check out the local shops if there were any.
  • ShawnJShawnJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    Had a CAO Brazilia. My first one. I can just about say this is my favorite full-bodied cigar so far.
    Had a few good ones today. I started off the morning with a regular line Fuente, I don't know the size but it was around 6.5 x 48, it was nice and tasty with little body, wish I'd had coffee to go with it, I think they would have paired nicely. A bit later I lit up a 5 Vegas Classic Fifty-Five, a nice chunky cigar, long on flavor with a dead perfect burn and draw. And still later was a 5 Vegas Miami chuchill, this was the first Miami I didn't have problems with, which is funny because it was the most flawed, pre-light, Miami I've had, despite its cracks and chips it burned even and true, had a great flavor and hit just where I wanted it to. A good day, wish I could get up and do it all over again.
    bbc020:
    Today was a very rare day for me; it was a two Gurkha day. It was bittersweet, as usual for me with a Gurkha.

First was a Centurian sent to me by Jozer in a MAW a couple mos back. I wanted to try another before I made a judgment on this cigar, because the first experience with one wasn't too positive. I have to say that the second was much better. While I experienced a cracked wrapper in it before lighting it, as I did with the other (which eventually unraveled), this one held up and smoked pretty spot on. It had an incredible draw, which I will give credit to Jozer, assuming that he had these resting for a decent period of time. I enjoyed the Centurian this time around and look forward to the others Joe sent. Thanks again Joe.

The second Gurkha on the docket today was the Triple Ligero. While I did not have much rest on this one, I was hoping the best. Unfortunately, this one had some construction problems. Draw was incredibly tight and after being lit for a while, I could feel some areas where it was most likely plugged. I smoked it as best as I could and used a toothpick to attempt to loosen things up, but with no real success. The plug was a little too high in the stick for the toothpick to reach, it did temporarily provide some relief but was not much of a permanent fix. After about 3 inches in, and a little too much kneading and poking on my part, a crack developed and as doom was had, it split apart in a heartbeat. Eh, on a good note, what I was getting was pretty good. I think the tight draw took away from the power and flavor this cigar could have had, but what I experienced wasn't bad, just a pain.

I'm not trying to close the door on a particular brand, I'm still too green behind the ears to do something so hasty, but I wouldn't mind any suggestions when it comes to Gurkhas. I keep them with most of my other sticks at about 65%, yet tend to have issues with fragile wrappers and tight draws. Do they work well with years of age? As most of them I've had have had 6 mos or less rest. Fill me in on the tricks, Gurkha lovers.
    sorry to hear you are having a bad gurkha experiance. I haven't had the centurian yet but I have several. The 3x ligero is a very good smoke, one of my favs. I've had 3 thus far and haven't had any wrapper problems. the burn sometimes gets uneven but not too bad. I'd give it a try a few more times. I know where you can get a bundle pm if you'd like to know where. I also say give the beast and fuerte a try. For a milder smoke the beauty is damn good. Those are the best I've had thus far. I have several in my humi that I haven't touched yet. The doble maduro is good too.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Sounds like a nice day Joe ....I pressure washed the garage floor today ( I know, I,m a heathern) but late this evening out on the back deck sipping some Buffalo Trace I had a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero, compliments of our friend rdnstn from back in December.(wheres Ron been latly?) This was a first but won't be the last. I totally enjoyed this smoke from start to finish, and at one point had a unusual 'sweet' spicey flavor ....hmmmm....I liked it a lot!
    Sounds good Gene, I keep wanting to try the Double Ligero, and now I've got one thanks to Maddy. Maybe I'll spark it up sometime this week...it looks so tasty, I almost can't resist.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    Sounds good Gene, I keep wanting to try the Double Ligero, and now I've got one thanks to Maddy. Maybe I'll spark it up sometime this week...it looks so tasty, I almost can't resist.

I would make sure to light it up when you know you won't have any distractions so you can really enjoy the different nuances and let me know if you get that unusual 'sweet spicey about halfway thru. It is a tasty one...enjoy.
    LFD double ligero are tasty smokes...great balances with strength and sweetness IMO
  • lvlawlvlaw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 15
    Tonight I had a CAO Italia Gondola Torpedo.  I have to say it was disappointing.  The first two thirds were very good, with a nice earthy taste and a bit of a cocoa taste for the finish.  Then the last third started getting hot, but then it got intensely bitter.  Two more puffs and I was done.  It was going along great up until then, with a nice white ash, a great even burn, and a perfect draw, and it really went well with a glass of Crown Royal on the rocks.  It will be a while before I try another one of those.
    phobicsquirrel:
    bbc020:

sorry to hear you are having a bad gurkha experiance. I haven't had the centurian yet but I have several. The 3x ligero is a very good smoke, one of my favs. I've had 3 thus far and haven't had any wrapper problems. the burn sometimes gets uneven but not too bad. I'd give it a try a few more times. I know where you can get a bundle pm if you'd like to know where. I also say give the beast and fuerte a try. For a milder smoke the beauty is damn good. Those are the best I've had thus far. I have several in my humi that I haven't touched yet. The doble maduro is good too.

Thanks Pheebs, I have had the beast, titan, legend, grand age, master select, regent and Centurian before. I find that Gurkhas are generally very solidly constructed. I may be a little too rough with them(handling and such), but it seems that the wrappers are easily damaged. Prolly me and my fat fingers.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    No, this was definately a gold. Maybe I got it in the movie trivia package from Garen.
    I shot you the Gold, smoked it once and fell in love with it. Speaking of getting stuff in a pass, I smoked a Punch that Jetmech shot me, pretty good cigar, really nice finish but got too stinking cold to fully enjoy it.

Sidebar: One of the guys that I was smoking with had his girlfriend join us, she did really well, enjoyed her Java, but ended up puking about 20 mins after we stopped and headed inside. Anyone have any ideas on why she puked? She seemed fine, didn't inhale like people usually do their first time, didn't have a fuller bodied cigar. Only thing I came up with was she swallowed some smoke or something and it irritated her stomach.
    Garen B:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    I shot you the Gold, smoked it once and fell in love with it. Speaking of getting stuff in a pass, I smoked a Punch that Jetmech shot me, pretty good cigar, really nice finish but got too stinking cold to fully enjoy it.

Sidebar: One of the guys that I was smoking with had his girlfriend join us, she did really well, enjoyed her Java, but ended up puking about 20 mins after we stopped and headed inside. Anyone have any ideas on why she puked? She seemed fine, didn't inhale like people usually do their first time, didn't have a fuller bodied cigar. Only thing I came up with was she swallowed some smoke or something and it irritated her stomach.

nicotine still gets absorbed in the mouth...and a lot can be had. If she wasn't used to that amount of nicotine, I could see why she may have vomited. Someone told me if I ever get that quesy feeling in the stomach during or after a smoke, ingest some sugar. Apparently this will help ease the nic buzz. Not sure how, but someone here should know.
    bbc020:
    Garen B:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:

nicotine still gets absorbed in the mouth...and a lot can be had. If she wasn't used to that amount of nicotine, I could see why she may have vomited. Someone told me if I ever get that quesy feeling in the stomach during or after a smoke, ingest some sugar. Apparently this will help ease the nic buzz. Not sure how, but someone here should know.
    Right on the money. She probably smoked it too quick too. I had a cigar earlier in the week give me that rush and it sucked. Strange as it wasn't that strong of a cigar, probably just smoked it too fast and I was really hungry.
    Garen B:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    I shot you the Gold, smoked it once and fell in love with it.
    I knew it was one of you two. Thanks again for that stick Garen, it was really good. I am slowly changing my opinion of CAO's.