Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    bacon.jay:
    say, is there any place around there to get decent sticks? i didn't see anything in the seneca or hancock county phonebook, and it'd be nice to check out the local shops if there were any.
    The only place I know of is on West State Street in Fremont. I haven't been in there yet, but the sign outside the store says "Cigar of the Month: Tatiana Vanilla" so I'm not gonna go in with high expectations...

Now if it'll just warm up a little more, I've got an RP Decade that needs lighting...
    Changed my mind and grabbed the Padilla Habano I got from here when they were practically giving them away. It had a great flavor to it, until it decided it wasn't going to be smoked. After re-lighting it about 4 times and finally getting a good burn going, it was bitter as hell. Shoulda went with the Decade.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Dude Love:
    bacon.jay:
    say, is there any place around there to get decent sticks? i didn't see anything in the seneca or hancock county phonebook, and it'd be nice to check out the local shops if there were any.
    The only place I know of is on West State Street in Fremont.
    Ahh, the 'Mont... my wife grew up in Fremont. Same time as Charles Woodson, although different schools.
    Last night, I had an Onyx Reserve mini belicoso. Very good, but I prefer the toro. The coffee seems a little less pronounced in that size, with a bit more dark chocolate. Still, I wanted to try the size that brought the rave review. This tasted an awful lot like a Graycliff 1666, which is also very good, but this costs a bit less.

Tonight, I'll burn a Tabacos Baez Monarcas, which was a stow-away on a box of water pillows from our ancient Canadian friend. Haven't seen many reviews on this, so I'm eager to see what it holds. I've had a hard time finding a Connecticut-wrapped cigar that I really enjoy (there have been a few), but I've got a feeling this just might be a winner.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    Ahh, the 'Mont... my wife grew up in Fremont. Same time as Charles Woodson, although different schools.
    For reasons mysterious and probably best not contemplated, I first read that as, "my mom grew in Fremont..." and thought, geez, doody is a teenager?

No smokes for me, yesterday or today. A bit under the weather. Saturday I had a La Aurora Preferido -- the Sapphire tubo. It's been in my humi since last June. I have to say it was pretty unimpressive. Decent, but nothing special; at its price point, it should be. I wasn't bowled over by the Platinum last year, either. Still have the Emerald and Ruby(?) from that sampler. Hope they're better.

After that, I recovered with an RP 92 churchill. Hadn't smoked one of these in a good while, and had forgotten how much I enjoy them.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I've decided I am going to make this Gurkha week.. I have so many that I need to try, I've been aging a Humidor full ( 30 ) for almost a year. Today was a Legend Perfecto, I didn't care for the first inch or so, a little too much spice/ peppery but then it really opened up to become a flavorful stick. And the profile changed so many times I didn't know what to expect next. The burn was uneven most of the way but still not to a point of annoying, I have a few more of these and look forward to seeing what more time can do for them.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Kas, nice to hear. i don't think I have any of those.. I had a centurian for the first time. wow a great cigar, plus i got to use my new xi2 cutter! for some reason after the ash fell (on my damn lap, I'm so bad at judging) the thing started to get a little bitter, I slowed way down and took my time, which helped. still a good cigar, though not worth the 20 bucks. I have a royal brigade which i think I'm going to try next.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Just got done with a Carlos Torano Signature. Reminded me why I love them so much. I have to try any Carlos Torano I didn't like, I really want to get ahold of a couple of the Virtuosos and give them a whirl next.
    alienmisprint:
    Just got done with a Carlos Torano Signature. Reminded me why I love them so much. I have to try any Carlos Torano I didn't like, I really want to get ahold of a couple of the Virtuosos and give them a whirl next.
    Alien, the signature is one of my favorite Torano cigars. That, and the Casa Torano, which is a little bit milder, but still very fine. I had a Virtuoso and it is FULL bodied. Rich taste and strong aroma. It got the neighbor to come over to see what I was smoking. ( he is a big Gurkha fan ) so we made a few trades.
    kaspera79:
    alienmisprint:
    Alien, the signature is one of my favorite Torano cigars. That, and the Casa Torano, which is a little bit milder, but still very fine. I had a Virtuoso and it is FULL bodied. Rich taste and strong aroma. It got the neighbor to come over to see what I was smoking. ( he is a big Gurkha fan ) so we made a few trades.
    Right on. I love the Casa Torano, it is one of my favorite mild sticks. The Exodus is on the fuller side, but from what you are saying, I guess the Virtuoso is even more so? Man, now I really can't wait to try one, lol.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    'Bino hope ya get to feelin better 'bro ...your palate should be good and rested
    Yeah alien, it is probably the fullest of Toranos offerings.. I stick with the Forte, and smoke it S-L-O-W, for the best enjoyment.
  • dep691dep691 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    Had a DPG Black 79 tonight with some Chimay Red.
    Get well, Urby... the weather is hopefully gonna be great after the upcoming cold snap. You'll wanna be in good shape for some smoke time after that.

The Baez left me rather underwhelmed. It began strong, with some interesting, almost tangy flavors that were very dynamic. This gave way to a bitterness that reminded me of an orange peel. Unfortunately, the bitterness grew as the stick progressed. It would have lasted close to 2 hrs if I had taken it all the way down, but I had had my fill after about 90 mins. I think there are a lot of people (coffee drinkers) who would really like this cigar. I'm not a coffee drinker, and this wasn't really my cup o' Joe. On the bright side, the burn was very even and slow, with a nice amount of smoke and a mild aroma.
    dutyje:
    Get well, Urby... the weather is hopefully gonna be great after the upcoming cold snap. You'll wanna be in good shape for some smoke time after that.

The Baez left me rather underwhelmed. It began strong, with some interesting, almost tangy flavors that were very dynamic. This gave way to a bitterness that reminded me of an orange peel. Unfortunately, the bitterness grew as the stick progressed. It would have lasted close to 2 hrs if I had taken it all the way down, but I had had my fill after about 90 mins. I think there are a lot of people (coffee drinkers) who would really like this cigar. I'm not a coffee drinker, and this wasn't really my cup o' Joe. On the bright side, the burn was very even and slow, with a nice amount of smoke and a mild aroma.

Duty you didn't get that from the guy with orange peels in his humidor did ya?
    gmill880:
    dutyje:

Ahhh.. it all makes sense! :)

Nah.. it just tasted too...ummm.. Connecticuty. I've found I don't really care for the flavor of that wrapper leaf. It's a mild taste, but it's there, and whatever it is, it never really appeals to me. When I have a Conny, I usually shoot for a larger ring, because I'm in it for the filler, not the wrapper.
    dutyje:
    gmill880:
    dutyje:

Ahhh.. it all makes sense! :)

Nah.. it just tasted too...ummm.. Connecticuty. I've found I don't really care for the flavor of that wrapper leaf. It's a mild taste, but it's there, and whatever it is, it never really appeals to me. When I have a Conny, I usually shoot for a larger ring, because I'm in it for the filler, not the wrapper.

Makes sense
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    I had an Illusione 68 tonight...fresh from a shipment that came in today. I wanted to try a fresh one, as I had one with about 5 months rest last week. Both were fantastic smokes. I think I may be buying a box of these very shortly.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    kaspera79:
    alienmisprint:
    good to know, I have a exodus in the humi, thanks to one of you on here.. I'll have to look into this signature..
  • sanesane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 151
    Nub Connecticut
    I enjoyed the cigar but its just to small. I felt like once I was just starting to get the full flavor of it the cigar was at its end.
    phobicsquirrel:
    kaspera79:
    alienmisprint:
    good to know, I have a exodus in the humi, thanks to one of you on here.. I'll have to look into this signature..
    The Signature is one of my favorite Maduros so far, very close in running with the Onyx Reserve and just below the CAO MX2.

Just got finished with a Gurkha Royal Brigade. As usual, a vey good stick, although I did have some burn issues with this one.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    No smoke for me yesterday. Took the car to work. Took the car today too but I am playing a gig tonight so I"ll drive the truck and do some smokey smokey. Not sure what I will smoke yet though. Thinking maybe a RP Decade, Fusion MM or maybe a Renn. Or it may even be a Gurkha. I have a bunch of the Centurions that have been aging along with a bunch of Legends, Beasts, Titans.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    OK. Broke my own rule today. Ordered a 5 pack of the Genghis Kahn and a 5 pack of the Elegance.
    rwheelwright:
    No smoke for me yesterday. Took the car to work. Took the car today too but I am playing a gig tonight so I"ll drive the truck and do some smokey smokey. Not sure what I will smoke yet though. Thinking maybe a RP Decade, Fusion MM or maybe a Renn. Or it may even be a Gurkha. I have a bunch of the Centurions that have been aging along with a bunch of Legends, Beasts, Titans.
    Gurkha, Gurkha, Gurkha... Today was a Gurkha Regent.. A very nice milder smoke. The burn was again near perfect draw was a little tight but that was okay since it made for a longer burn on this cigar, with a taste that was woody, leathery, and a little vegetable at the start. At one point there was a smell and slight taste of vanilla. Another good one from Gurkha.
    Had a Padron 6000 while taking the dogs for their nightly walk.

bbc020:
    I had an Illusione 68 tonight...fresh from a shipment that came in today. I wanted to try a fresh one, as I had one with about 5 months rest last week. Both were fantastic smokes. I think I may be buying a box of these very shortly.

The 68 is my favorite out of the Illusione line.

Had an RP Decade around noon which was awesome, then a 5 Vegas Cask Strength II while bullshitting about politics and music with a friend.
  • ShawnJShawnJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    Haven't smoked since Sunday. I try to smoke only the weekend (with maybe one on Wednesday night). I'm thinking maybe a Don Diego for tomorrow night since it's nice and light. I'm thinking maybe a CAO MX2 for Saturday morning and for Saturday night I have a Don Pepin Garcia "My Father". Has anyone tried this one?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Shawn: I've tried the My Father, thought it was pretty good.

I had an Ashton Heritage Puro Sol belicoso this afternoon..that was a damn tasty cigar, color me double impressed. I'm consistently impressed with Dominican tobacco, it has a flavor to it that I just love, couple it with a nice cameroon wrapper, and you've got yourself a real winner, way to go Ashton.
  • ShawnJShawnJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    I agree : the Ashton Heritage Puro Sol is a good, solid smoke. I was blown away the first time I tried one.