Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I just had a Gurkha Royal Brigade. This is a damn fine cigar, peeps. Like a long cup of good coffee. The burn was cool and even and slow, with lots of smoke. This one gives the Centurian a run for its money.
  • StoogeeStoogee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157

This morning smoked a cusano 18 double connecticut and must say while it was not a bad cigar was just way way to mild for me. After that went to the Broncos San Diego game which was a pretty exciting game then a friends a had a glass of scoth and an Ashton VSG which may be my favorite cigar. It just seems that everytime I smoke one of these they get better.

• sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406

Tried a couple of new cigars today. This afternoon was a Perdomo Habano Maduro. This was an excellent, slow-burning cigar with exceptional flavors. More and more, I am enjoying the Perdomo line. Tonight I had the Man O War from the COTM package. It was good, better than I expected. Would consider getting more of these.

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I had a Perdomo Cuban Parejo epicure, in the Rosado wrapped variety... the one urby referred to as "turd sized". This is a nice cigar, medium-full in strength and it has a flavor profile to it that I really like. Very good construction as well, burn was razor sharp, draw was perfect and the ash holds nicely.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I picked up a Graycliff legend purple label today and I have to say that if it wasn't a 20 dollar smoke I might buy it again. The thing lit okay and had a good burn about half way up, but it went out on my 4 times. I picked up some coffee and coca notes all the way through with some spiceness, but i was a little upset that the thing kept going out.
  • Cigar_SamuraiCigar_Samurai Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
    Graycliff 1666 is on the menu for tonight.  I love these things.  Buy them by themselves and they are $10-15 a stick, but you can always get a group of them in different sizes for about $5 each.  It's one of the few cigars I like well enough to relight once it goes out.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I picked up a Graycliff legend purple label today and I have to say that if it wasn't a 20 dollar smoke I might buy it again.
    The Graycliff Legend (i.e., the CI Legends Purple Label) sells for about $3.50.
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246

Well, I started with a 5 Vegas 'A' today, and im beginning to feel that the thick but not overpowering cinnamon flavor of that cigar is among my favorite (at least for the last few months).  My only complaint is..i lost the darn thing early.  I got a little past halfstick and it started to close in on me, the wrapper stopped burning, fire receeded deeper and deeper in and it snuffed itself out.

Needless to say, I was disappointed because I do love those, and i wasnt fulfilled yet.  So, i ended up pulling out a counterfeit D.R. Cohiba stick a friend gave me.  He didnt know it was counterfeit, but, i made him aware, much to his disappointement.  Anyways, i threw it in my humi and figured id give it a shot one day when i didnt really have high expectations, counterfeits can actually be semi-decent, but they can be really really bad too.  Turns out this one was decent, and i guess the irony of it all is that this one burned perfectly.  No distinct flavor, but very creamy.  Almost that id just call it creamy and nothing else.  Wasnt amazing, but it wasnt bad.

I do get my hands on legitimate cuban cohibas from time to time, which is quite an experience, perhaps it is that forbidden fruit idea, but, they certainly do taste good regardless.  My only gripe i guess is that that brand gets so much press by people who know nothing about cigars.  Maybe thats cigar snobbery, i dont know, but i cant fault the taste of the legitimate cuban ones, because they are infact excellent.

• BigDan.BigDan. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    hmm i think i have a counterfeit cohiba actually bcuz the band doesnt look like a normal cohiba at all actually i think i have like 3-4 counterfeits haha how can you tell tho? . im smoking a indian tabac nonpareil with a jack and coke :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    if it has a red dot in the "O" it isnt fake. its a real DOMINICAN cohiba.

if you want to learn more about fake cubans go here:
    http://www.vitolas.net/index.php?cat=16
  • rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    BigDan.:
    hmm i think i have a counterfeit cohiba actually bcuz the band doesnt look like a normal cohiba at all actually i think i have like 3-4 counterfeits haha how can you tell tho? . im smoking a indian tabac nonpareil with a jack and coke :)
    There are two types of Cohibas... The "Red Dots" which have a red dot in the middle of the "o" is made by .... General Cigar??? in the Dominican Republic... They are not affiliated with the "real" Cohibas... The "real" Cohibas from ISOM have a completely different type of label... and these are often counterfitted... Though obviously they "try" to look right... Yellow band, no "red dot"...
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Smoking my first 5 Vegas that was in the cotm package. It is ok. For those of you who busted my chops about smoking and putting it out, my brother in law cracked me up last night. I gave him an Upman that was in a glass tube like 2 years ago and he kept it in his fridge. Last night he decided to light it up and smoke it. He doesn't smoke often at all. He liked the way it tasted. I have to say it burned near perfect the whole way! I have a few more of those left. Makes me want to smoke them now!
  • SacNickSacNick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 77
    Arturo Fuentes
    Grand Reserve.

What a disappointment.

I went camping this weekend, and had my chance to sit back with the fire out in the woods.
    Plenty of time to enjoy.

For the money I paid (retail), I was VERY disappointed.

Taste was alright.
    It was nothing to get as excited over as I was. I haven't had an AF yet, so I was really hoping for something special.
    There was the usual tobacco flavor, as almost all cigars have. It was a little earthy at the beginning. Then in the middle, it was a little nutty and leathery.
    I was really hoping for something more.

Smoke wasn't as good or enough as I prefer.

Draw was OK, a little tight as it went further to the middle.

Burn was not so good either. I corrected it twice after it kept canoeing.

Oh well...

urbino:
    I just had a Gurkha Royal Brigade. This is a damn fine cigar, peeps. Like a long cup of good coffee. The burn was cool and even and slow, with lots of smoke. This one gives the Centurian a run for its money.
    Because of this post I just ordered some of these. Got a good deal. 12 for $60. It looks like they are the same as the centurian except with a cameroon wrapper.
    urbino:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I picked up a Graycliff legend purple label today and I have to say that if it wasn't a 20 dollar smoke I might buy it again.
    HA, well I got screwed by my cigar shop! damn, if only.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:
    phobicsquirrel:
    HA, well I got screwed by my cigar shop! damn, if only.
    I didn't think that the CI Legends series were available in cigar shops.
    I didn't either. Are you sure you're talking about the right cigar, Phoebe? What's the label look like? Some of the cigars in Graycliff's normal (i.e., non-CI Legends) line have blue or purplish labels; they say "Graycliff" on them. All of the CI Legends cigars have bands with a big "L" on them and the word "Legends."
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    Because of this post I just ordered some of these. Got a good deal. 12 for $60. It looks like they are the same as the centurian except with a cameroon wrapper.
    Yup -- Cameroon Centurian, basically. (So I guess it's not surprising that I like it.) And that's the same deal I bought mine on.
  • BigDan.BigDan. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    well i just finished a 5 vegas gold and tonight im have a Punch its a long mother f**** though
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    That should be enjoyable, Dan... I've never had a Punch I didn't like. (need to order more Gran Puros!). Definitely not something I'd hand a newbie, though!

Tonight's an Obsidian belicoso, and tomorrow the brown truck arrives with more goodies including some Root tubos.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    I had mine early today. It was a Winston Churchill (made by Davidoff). It was recommended to me by the girl at the local B&M so I gave it a try. I had a lighting issue at first, but a quick touch up and it settled down. After that it burned great. Good flavor and lots of smoke. I recommend this as something to try.
    Don't fuggin know... My wife and I are sitting here smoking something that Joe sent us... not sure what it is, i'll have to ask, but it's one of the few sticks both myself and the wifey have found enjoyable... Usually the ones she likes I don't and vice versa... ;)
    rusirius:
    My wife and I are sitting here smoking something that Joe sent us... not sure what it is, i'll have to ask...
    Describe it for me if you will.
    j0z3r:
    rusirius:
    My wife and I are sitting here smoking something that Joe sent us... not sure what it is, i'll have to ask...
    Describe it for me if you will.
    The only description was "Slightly sweetned with cognac"... ;) It was a toro, 50-52 rg I'd guess...
    Ohh, and between the two of us, there's only one other description I can give.... NUBBED... Stick out tongue [:P]
    Flor de Oliva, perhaps?
    urbino:
    Flor de Oliva, perhaps?
    Oooh, strike one for urby. No, actually it is a locally rolled goody from Rodriguez Cigars. A mild-medium smoke that is misted with cognac to give a light, yet unobtrusive sweetness.
    Trying to figure out what I am going to smoke tomorrow. I may try either the Rock Patel Sungrown or the Gurkha Triple Ligero. The Triple Ligero scares me. BTW, I went to a local B&M a little while ago. It is right down the road and I have never been there. They have a pretty nice selection. A bunch of boxes or Padron 1964 and 1926, Rocky Patel Decades, lots of Fuentes, Romeo's, etc... I didn't buy anything cause I have spent way to much money on cigars recently plus I have no room! Maybe in a couple of months I'll go back. A lot of it looks like it has been there for a while judging by what the cellaphane looks like but it was humidified.
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Flor de Oliva, perhaps?
    Oooh, strike one for urby. No, actually it is a locally rolled goody from Rodriguez Cigars.
    No fair. Trick question.
    urbino:
    I didn't either. Are you sure you're talking about the right cigar, Phoebe? What's the label look like? Some of the cigars in Graycliff's normal (i.e., non-CI Legends) line have blue or purplish labels; they say "Graycliff" on them. All of the CI Legends cigars have bands with a big "L" on them and the word "Legends."
    yeah, your right, I didn't remember the Big L, I just looked it up online. I asked the guy for the legends purple label, he probably got confused. Wow, now I feel crappy.. Well now I know to do more research before I buy there again...