Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

2,000th post

alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
This all worked out about right. I am going to need to get rid of a bunch of cigars from my coolers when I move everything to the cabinet, so the timing couldn't have been better. Well, here's the question:

I am doing a tattoo on the carpenter who built my cabinet as payment in trade. What is the tattoo, and what famous tattoo artist's sketchbook did I base alot of the design off of?

Winner will be announced with my 2000th post.

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    How many guesses do we get?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I'm gonna take a guess that the artist whose work it's based on is Sailor Jerry and the tattoo itself is some sort of eagle.
    Skulls or something evil from Paul Booth
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Dragon and koi... based on Al Pachanka's work? and yes, that's a WAG..
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Some kind of eagle, based on burt grimm?
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    Since I know nothing about tats or artists, I am going to guess "Something by Someone". That should cover any possibilities.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    badge54fd:
    Since I know nothing about tats or artists, I am going to guess "Something by Someone". That should cover any possibilities.
    Hey can I get a tat of something by someone?
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Sandman1am:
    badge54fd:
    Hey can I get a tat of something by someone?
    You sure can, just come down to LA. ;)

Let's go with one guess between updates. The tattoo artist in question actually started out as a flash artist, strictly selling flash to tattoo shops. Some of his customers finally talked him into picking up a tattoo machine and giving it a whirl, and he is now without doubt one of the best artists in his style.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Tatoo johnny and a pair of swallows.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Since I have over 250 hours of Tattoo work on me and have gone to Dozens of conventions and Know and or met the Best (In My Opinion) Artists in the World or since Tattooing became Main Stream... I dont have a Clue about Flash Alll my work is Custom but My Artist The Great Marty Holcomb has designed over 15,000 pages of flash for cherry creek... He started out as a Painter /Artist then Started Tattooing in 1972...... he aprenticed under Stoney St.Claire.....
    Ill go with Guy Atchison and its some Biomechanical Monster.
    Some devil from Coop(love that guy's work)
    Alien, know anyone whos working in Boston? Im leaning toward some Japanese Koi
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Since I have over 250 hours of Tattoo work on me and have gone to Dozens of conventions and Know and or met the Best (In My Opinion) Artists in the World or since Tattooing became Main Stream... I dont have a Clue about Flash Alll my work is Custom but My Artist The Great Marty Holcomb has designed over 15,000 pages of flash for cherry creek... He started out as a Painter /Artist then Started Tattooing in 1972...... he aprenticed under Stoney St.Claire.....
    He apprenticed under Stoney St. Claire? No sh1t man, that's f**kin crazy. He is Marty Holcomb though, lol.
    Fourtotheflush:
    Alien, know anyone whos working in Boston? Im leaning toward some Japanese Koi
    Well, this place is in Easthampton Mass, not sure how far of a drive it is, but it is without a doubt worth it.

http://offthemaptattoo.com/

The best artists in the country regularly guest spot at this shop, its amazing the talent that walks through there. The reason is, the owner, Gabe, handles ALOT of tattoo artists' websites, at least half or more of the main "star" tattoo artists use him. Check out their artist list, as you go down the page you see under the artist's name the dates they will be there. You've got Todo, Bob Tyrell, Scottie Munster, Stefano, Jason Ackerman, and a bunch of other dope mofos all in the next month and a half. And on top of that, the full-time artists there are amazing as well.

Dude, definitely check them out. I promise it will be worth the drive to get the ink these people lay down. If I lived in the same state as this place, I'd be broke. For real man, check out their portfolios on the website.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    Bob Tyrell - Bride of Frankenstein
    Oh, I had to add this one too. If you are closer to Connecticut than that other shop, Hope Gallery Tattoo is in New Haven, CT. There are some amazing artists there man, seriously. Check out their portfolios too:

http://www.hopegallerytattoo.com/

The artists there are about the best on the entire East Coast. With the exception of All or Nothing (Brandon Bond's shop) in Atlanta, there is no other shop with that concentration of talent east of the Mississippi. -- Oh, and a quick sidenote, on the artists page, about halfway down, is Tim Harris. He was one of the judges that judged my Predator when it won tattoo of the day, and he was wearing the same white hat he is in that picture, lol -- On the real man, if you don't get tattooed at one of these two shops, you should be ashamed of yourself, lol.

But seriously, you really do want to check out artists way before you even step into their shops nowadays. The amount of talent out there is staggering. Almost every major city is going to have at least one shop that does magazine quality work, at a minimum. If you put at least a hour or two's worth of research on the internet prior to going into a shop, there is no way you shouldn't walk away with magazine quality (and probably award-winning) ink. Ask Ozzie, he'll tell you the same, lol.

I seem to have written a novel here, lol, sorry about that.
    And to get it back on track, no, I have in no way given away the artist or the design in either of those posts, lol.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    alienmisprint:
    And to get it back on track, no, I have in no way given away the artist or the design in either of those posts, lol.

Doh...
    alienmisprint:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    He apprenticed under Stoney St. Claire? No sh1t man, that's f**kin crazy. He is Marty Holcomb though, lol.

oh yeah Stoney St. Clair....... You should hear the storys! I will have to tell you about some of them sometime!

Thanks Alien, both those shops are a good 2 hour drive, but doable. Im very surprised that there is nothing closer to Boston (probably cuz Mass only recently allowed tatooing - past 10 years or so).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some dope shops in Boston, and probably others nearer. Its just that those two shops are world-recognized, and to be two hours away from either of them, that's just too great of an opportunity to pass up.
    Okay, back on track. The artist whose sketchbook I referenced has a shop in Massachusetts.
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    Vincent English - Demon Woman??
    Jetmech_63:
    Me too, very cool art.
    No one has answered the artist or the design (although one person did come close on the design so far) correctly yet. Next hint is about the design.

This is one of the very few fictional things that, throughout history, appeared in almost every religion and culture in one form or another, and has been a part of pop culture (or folklore, depending on how far you go back, lol) since recorded history.
    alienmisprint:
    Jetmech_63:
    Me too, very cool art.

Joe Capabianca Its a Pin UP OF SOME SORT
    Ben Riegle some kind of wild skull
    I will go with Mark Bode and I will say some sort or Reaper creature.
    alienmisprint:
    This all worked out about right. I am going to need to get rid of a bunch of cigars from my coolers when I move everything to the cabinet, so the timing couldn't have been better. Well, here's the question:

I am doing a tattoo on the carpenter who built my cabinet as payment in trade. What is the tattoo, and what famous tattoo artist's sketchbook did I base alot of the design off of?

Winner will be announced with my 2000th post.
    how many times can I guess? every 24 hours??
    Once between clues.

Since no one has guessed correctly yet, the next hint will be about the artist.

This artist has several sketchbooks to his credit. The name of his brand is synonymous with malodorous simians.