Home General Discussion

The Newbie welcoming thread.

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Houston or Austin?! I'm at Hood. We have some Texas smokers 'round these parts that get together and herf. You're more than welcome to join the Texas Alliance. Welcome to CCom!imageThat was at Heroes and Legacy in Austin.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    Rain:
    Houston or Austin?! I'm at Hood. We have some Texas smokers 'round these parts that get together and herf. You're more than welcome to join the Texas Alliance. Welcome to CCom!imageThat was at Heroes and Legacy in Austin.
    Dang, that's a rough looking bunch, you trying to scare off the new guy or what?
    Welcome to the forums Crousefer!
    Well I have lost some weight since then. Dang is Brad sexy though...
  • CrouseferCrousefer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 352
    Tyvm! I am living in Houston at the current moment, but in the transition of moving up to Austin by the end of March. So I'm kinda in between the areas atm. I will def look forward to a good group to herf with, and check our some of the local lounges when I'm all finished settling in.
    Crousefer:
    Tyvm! I am living in Houston at the current moment, but in the transition of moving up to Austin by the end of March. So I'm kinda in between the areas atm. I will def look forward to a good group to herf with, and check our some of the local lounges when I'm all finished settling in.
    Austin rocks when it comes to B&Ms, just don't complain when you're broke!
  • JcaponeJcapone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    Hello everyone,
    My names jeff I'm 25 have smoked for a while but just getting into collecting and building a stock in my humi. Looking to get more seriouse into the hobby and really try many different kinds of cigars So that I can find my palate.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    Welcome to the newest group of new guys.
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Welcome to the new guys. You'll find a lot of good info here along with a great group of folks. If you haven't already you should sign up for the forum newsletter. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll make sure you get the latest copy.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Welcome one and all! Glad to have all y'all its us and make sure to start joining in on the reindeer games.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    Welcome to the newbies. Stick around and learn something
  • thehilkthehilk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,015
    Jcapone:
    Hello everyone, My names jeff I'm 25 have smoked for a while but just getting into collecting and building a stock in my humi. Looking to get more seriouse into the hobby and really try many different kinds of cigars So that I can find my palate.
    Welcome Jeff! What are some of ur favorite cigars that you've tried so far?
  • JcaponeJcapone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    My favorite cigar is the Fuente fuente opus x. Iv had the privilege to try it on my recent trip to Atlanta and couldn't get enough of it. I also like Romeo and Juliettas and the drew estate logs prevadas. Also enjoy puffing the Alec Bradley prensado. I do have a box of the lost city opus x's that i just received and really do enjoy the padrons.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Welcome to the new folks. Hope you stick around and enjoy yourselves.
  • D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
  • buffalodavebuffalodave Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 29
    31/m from Buffalo, NY

A few friends helped get me into cigars over the last few years. At least one is a regular poster here.

My vices are...
    BBQ/smoking
    Ipa's
    Scotch
    Cigars
    Golf

I'd guess many of you feel the same. I look forward to contributing a bit but learning even more.

Cheers

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Welcome Jeff & Dave.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    buffalodave:
    31/m from Buffalo, NY A few friends helped get me into cigars over the last few years. At least one is a regular poster here. My vices are... BBQ/smoking Ipa's Scotch Cigars Golf I'd guess many of you feel the same. I look forward to contributing a bit but learning even more. Cheers
    It would appear you will fit in nicely around here... Welcome Dave
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    buffalodave:
    I'm awesome because I love...
    BBQ/smoking
    Ipa's
    Scotch
    Cigars
    Golf
    fixed it for ya. Welcome!
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    Guess I shoulda saw this post before Ive posted all the other posts Ive posted! Im just a dude who likes to smoke stogies, been smoking em for years, at least a few each year, only now gettin serious with it, and loving every smokey second. Name is Ray, I do I.T., beers, booze, sports and stogies. Anyways.....Dont know if I qualify as decent or respectable (thems fightin words) I'm a newbie and am happy to be here! And can someone PLEASE tell me how to post without quoting or replying, and if the answer is "you cant" then whom should I reply to? Newest? Oldest? Whatevs?
  • buffalodavebuffalodave Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 29
    SM0K3Y:
    Guess I shoulda saw this post before Ive posted all the other posts Ive posted!
    Im just a dude who likes to smoke stogies, been smoking em for years, at least a few each year, only now gettin serious with it, and loving every smokey second. Name is Ray, I do I.T., beers, booze, sports and stogies. Anyways.....Dont know if I qualify as decent or respectable (thems fightin words) I'm a newbie and am happy to be here! And can someone PLEASE tell me how to post without quoting or replying, and if the answer is "you cant" then whom should I reply to? Newest? Oldest? Whatevs?

If you reply you are just replying to the thread as a whole, quote is what I'm doing now. Or at least I think haha

I'm new as well. Welcome aboard
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    buffalodave:
    SM0K3Y:
    Guess I shoulda saw this post before Ive posted all the other posts Ive posted! Im just a dude who likes to smoke stogies, been smoking em for years, at least a few each year, only now gettin serious with it, and loving every smokey second. Name is Ray, I do I.T., beers, booze, sports and stogies. Anyways.....Dont know if I qualify as decent or respectable (thems fightin words) I'm a newbie and am happy to be here! And can someone PLEASE tell me how to post without quoting or replying, and if the answer is "you cant" then whom should I reply to? Newest? Oldest? Whatevs?
    If you reply you are just replying to the thread as a whole, quote is what I'm doing now. Or at least I think haha I'm new as well. Welcome aboard
    welcome to both of you. glad to have ya on0board.

and @smokey --- yes dave hit the nail on the head. use quote if you're commenting on a specific post, or if you have a question ....

for example i saw you **replied** in one of the "what are you smoking" threads asking about a specific cigar someone had smoked. all that showed up was your text along the lines of "what cigar is that it looks good" --- so i had no idea which cigar you were talking about and couldn't help. in a case like that use the "quote" button to include the original post you're referring too and you'll be more likely to get an answer.
    hope that makes sense
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    Ahhh, I see, wasnt sure how the reply worked was concerened it was only for whoever I hit reply on,lol Thanks for the input and welcome BDave and jgibv
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Welcome all new comers, wonderful to see new blood on Ccom here and have a blast! Check out the Newbie Trading thread in Trades, Passes and Bombs to start getting active if you so desire.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    Welcome to the forums guys lot of cool cats here!
  • EulogyEulogy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,295
    Welcome new guys!
  • StubbleStubble Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,305
    Welcome to all the new folks and a bump for others!
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    And another bump.....??
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 54
    jlmarta:
    And another bump.....??

Alright, I'm callin' you out Marty!  (I'm sure he bumped this thread to get me to finally post my newbie intro).  I'm a coffee roaster by trade,  met Marty on a coffee forum, and we've been emailing each other about our cigar adventures.  Might start a firestorm, and void my welcome, but...  Marty's a good dude, for sure!

I lit up my first cigar in 20 years last summer, a yummy Cuban brought back by a buddy in Seattle who works for Boeing and travels around the globe, so he stocks his humidor with good stuff.  That was the beginning of a very slippery slope.  Several friends here in the Milwaukee area are cigar smokers, and I decided to find out what all the buzz is all about.  Fast forward to now, I have done some serious tupperdor stuffing, much of it from the host site, following much of the advice of you guys, except for the part about buying a way bigger humidor than you think you'll need.  I have a few 46qt. weather-tight storage boxes, in which I mounted some round digital hygrometers, along with a nice wooden humidor, using the wooden one to stock for daily sticks and the Isis boxes for longer storage, humidifying with beads.  Seems to work, but am looking for an upright humidor w/ a humidifier to consolidate.

Coming from a coffee background, and having my palate calibrated to discern all the various flavors in the cup, I'm now working on doing the same with cigars.  It's arduous, but great fun, and I feel like I'm learning fast.  There's a handful of favorites, but I have to say, there have been almost zero cigars I haven't enjoyed.  I bought a TV/soundbar for my basement roasting area, use the venting for the roasters, and make it down here once or twice a day - it's a great place for a smoke, a drink, a book or a movie, but I can't wait for some spring-time weather. 

Lastly, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of this forum!  You all are a bunch of generous, funny, and very warm/helpful group!  Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute and give back.

Cheers!
  • ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    peter4jc:
    jlmarta:
    And another bump.....??

Alright, I'm callin' you out Marty!  (I'm sure he bumped this thread to get me to finally post my newbie intro).  I'm a coffee roaster by trade,  met Marty on a coffee forum, and we've been emailing each other about our cigar adventures.  Might start a firestorm, and void my welcome, but...  Marty's a good dude, for sure!

I lit up my first cigar in 20 years last summer, a yummy Cuban brought back by a buddy in Seattle who works for Boeing and travels around the globe, so he stocks his humidor with good stuff.  That was the beginning of a very slippery slope.  Several friends here in the Milwaukee area are cigar smokers, and I decided to find out what all the buzz is all about.  Fast forward to now, I have done some serious tupperdor stuffing, much of it from the host site, following much of the advice of you guys, except for the part about buying a way bigger humidor than you think you'll need.  I have a few 46qt. weather-tight storage boxes, in which I mounted some round digital hygrometers, along with a nice wooden humidor, using the wooden one to stock for daily sticks and the Isis boxes for longer storage, humidifying with beads.  Seems to work, but am looking for an upright humidor w/ a humidifier to consolidate.

Coming from a coffee background, and having my palate calibrated to discern all the various flavors in the cup, I'm now working on doing the same with cigars.  It's arduous, but great fun, and I feel like I'm learning fast.  There's a handful of favorites, but I have to say, there have been almost zero cigars I haven't enjoyed.  I bought a TV/soundbar for my basement roasting area, use the venting for the roasters, and make it down here once or twice a day - it's a great place for a smoke, a drink, a book or a movie, but I can't wait for some spring-time weather. 

Lastly, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of this forum!  You all are a bunch of generous, funny, and very warm/helpful group!  Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute and give back.

Cheers!
    Welcome! Did Marty get you hooked up with the newsletter yet? If not, I'm also from Wisconsin and I'd be happy to send you a copy. Contact me via personal message and I'll get it in the mail next day.
  • EulogyEulogy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,295
    Welcome Peter. Hope you stick around, there's lots of great people here and Marty is certainly one of them.