Home Non Cigar Related

Watcha reading

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I just recently finished Frankenstein, and the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Both were good, and totally unlike anything I expected. I just started Dracula a couple days ago. It's amazing so far. Nothing like any of the goofy films I've seen.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Capone biography.
  • Duke2Duke2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 393
    Portrait of a Spy by Daniel Silva. I have read all of Silva's books and have found them hard to put down. It's a good thing I am retired as I can sleep in when I stay up to 0300 reading.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Russ55:
    I just recently finished Frankenstein, and the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Both were good, and totally unlike anything I expected. I just started Dracula a couple days ago. It's amazing so far. Nothing like any of the goofy films I've seen.
    Classics right there. I've never read Jekyll and Hyde, but the other two are fantastic reads. Good picks.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Rhamlin:
    I love Clancy. Though I haven't read anything in a while. If you like American history check out " When the river ran backwards " it's full of interesting bits of history info you probably never learned in school.
    Clancy is like crack to me...lol I'll have to check that out man
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Good military/war reads:
    Lone Survivor
    Generation Kill
    The Only Thing Worth Dying For
    Seal of Honor
    Jawbreaker
    Kill Bin Laden
    Victory Point
    No True Glory
    Rogue Warrior
    Red Cell
    On Killing
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    kuzi16:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.

oooh... gunna add that to my wish list. Thomas Sowell is brilliant.
    I Just took a "comparative economics" class in may, and read sowell's A Conflict of Visions, Atlas Shrugged, and Skousen's The 5000 Year Leap among other assorted readings from Milton Friedman and F.A. Hayek. Sowell was great! Very neat to see how different opinions on human nature affect personal choices, social and economic polices, etc.. Had to take him slow though! Very dense reading.
  • DeadBoxJDDeadBoxJD Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    I'll be re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I've read it nearly 10 times already...I just love it for some reason.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Thats a big friggin book. I never could keep the names straight.
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 200
    Marker:
    d-rob:
    Just got caught upon the wheel of time and read the Odd Thomas series
    I am on Knife of Dreams. Reading it gets a little arduous at times.

I'm on Crossroads Of Twilight. After Wheel of Time series, I'll be starting Game of Thrones series.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Reading a little fiction now.

Saw The Punisher novelization for 7 bucks had to download it.

• ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    H.P. Lovecraft- The shadow Over Innsmouth
  • sittingbullsittingbull Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 22
    Just finished: Sugar Barons.....pretty interesting historical read... Working on: Unconquered by Scott Wallace......Amazon expedition.... Looking forward to: 11/22/63 & Empire of Summer Moon...
  • gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Just finished 11/22/63. If you are a King fan, you are going to love this book! 850 pages and it kept my interest the entire way. He finally wrote another gem.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    gripnrip:
    Just finished 11/22/63. If you are a King fan, you are going to love this book! 850 pages and it kept my interest the entire way. He finally wrote another gem.
    I've thought about picking that up at the library
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Direwolf:
    gripnrip:
    I've thought about picking that up at the library
    Got that for Christmas. Looking forward to reading it as I am a huge SK fan. I'm actually reading Lisey's Story at the moment - just started it the other night. Also reading Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac. I don't often read 2 books at once, but one is upstairs and one is downstairs. Guess I'm a lazy reader lol
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    I'm a big time reader and have a Kindle e-reader for the last 2 years. I love it! Anyway, the last book I read was Deja Dead by Kathy Riechs....she's the paleontologist that that the series Bones is based on and I LOVE Bones. Book is different though, but good. She's written a ton of books and this is the first one.
  • Jiffy78Jiffy78 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 30
    I have a Kindle as well. It has been my saving grace on this super long deployment. I am about to finish the third book in the Eragon series.

One of my shipmates suggested the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, so that's next in line.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    I love the Dark Tower, a fantastic read.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Seems like S. King is getting the love here today, I am about to begin 11/22/63 as well.
    I've been reading some King myself, Dolores Claiborne specifically. One I'm caught up on my backlog of reading material...well, who knows what's next. I've been reading and really enjoying Michael Connelly's novels.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis. Just finished "That Used to be Us" by Thomas L Friedman. Will dig into "Boomerang" by Michael Lewis when finished wiith "The Big Short".
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    "blink" by Malcolm Gladwell.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Just started the "new novel by Michael Crichton," Micro. I put that in quotes because he passed away a couple years ago and it was in progress at the time and completed by Richard Preston. 50-60 pages in and so far so good, lost nothing in the finishing up process that I can tell.
    As I understand it, Crichton had several novels that were either fairly well along or at least hashed out when he died. I quite like his novels, and wish there were more of them.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    j0z3r:
    As I understand it, Crichton had several novels that were either fairly well along or at least hashed out when he died. I quite like his novels, and wish there were more of them.
    I only like his sci fi. Never got into his drama. Hopefully there's more than one sci fi to finish up.
  • MephistoMephisto Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 508
    War Trash by Ha Jin. I'm about half way through and it's really good.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    just finished Hunter S Thompson's Hell's Angels.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Finished the Punisher... it turned out better than the movie.
    Now I'm reading Ever Wonder Why: And Other Controversial Essays By Thomas Sowell.

Continuing on with the Michael Connelly novels in order, I'm on to Harry Bosch #12, Echo Park. As mystery detective novels go, I really enjoy this series.