Home Non Cigar Related

Watcha reading

Comments

• gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Just picked up One Hard Day and the new Jack Reacher (Lee Child) A Wanted Man.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    are you looking forward to the movie?

started the wheel of time books.
    phobicsquirrel:
    are you looking forward to the movie?

started the wheel of time books.
    Were you refering to the upcoming "Reacher" movie? If so, not really...I've been disapointed many times with films based on novels, with some notable exceptions of course. Not thrilled with Tom Cruise being cast as Reacher-the character in the book is 6"5" and his physical stature is an important part of the character IMO. I think it will be difficult to translate a lot of the interanlization that goes on with Reacher to film, which is also a big part of the story lines. So, I guess it will be interesting if nothing else. If you were refering to something else, disregard the mini-rant LOL.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    How to practice by the Dalai Lama. Rather eye opening...
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    The 2006 International Fire Code. It's a real page burner.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Just started Freedom to Choose by Milton Friedman.
    Should be a relatively quick read.

• RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Your Heart Belongs To Me - Author: Dean Koontz

The Panther-Nelson DeMille
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    Rain:
    Rereading (for the 10th time) The Stand.
    this is prob my favourite king book read it in highschool first.have reread it about 6 or 7 times.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    twistedstem:
    Rain:
    Rereading (for the 10th time) The Stand.
    this is prob my favourite king book read it in highschool first.have reread it about 6 or 7 times.
    I just heard the Stephen King wrote a sequel to The Shining called... Doctor Sleep. Coming out in September. It finds Danny (Redrum !) working at a hospice and using his supernatural powers to ease the suffering of the dying. He wrote it because so many readers asked him "what ever happened to Danny", he wondered too. so he answered their question. I'll read that one.
  • Adrian_FAdrian_F Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    Racing the Beam: A book by Ian Bogost and Nick Montfort describing the history and technical challenges of programming for the Atari 2600 video game console. The book's title comes from the fact that the Atari 2600, initially branded the VCS (Video Computer System), did not have a video frame buffer, and required the programmers to write each line of video to the television, one line at a time. As there were only a limited number of machine cycles in which to do this, the programmers were literally racing the electron beam across the screen. Racing the Beam discusses the history of the VCS platform and the design decisions that impacted the types of games that could be written for it. Specific titles such as Combat, Pitfall! and Yars' Revenge are analyzed from a technical and cultural perspective. Racing the Beam was intended as the first in a series of books on early video game platforms, and has been cited by modern Atari 2600 enthusiasts as an inspiration for attempting to write new games for the platform
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    Just got done reading Existence by David Brin

Plot = Mysterious object is found in orbit in the late 2100s. By then the world is always plugged in with realtime VR connections, Autism is at an all time high, science has gotten to the point where genetic adjustments are a regular thing, and society has gone through a revolution where governmental openness is real and because of the realtime connections it is very hard to hide anything. On top of that humanity has come to grips with the fact that physics dictates that we are never going to be a star faring society. It is too costly and risky to attempt it. So space is forgotten.

Once the object is collected they make "first contact" with alien races is a very unique way.....and things begin to change.

Overall a good book. the pacing REALLY sucked. It jumped around way too much. The central story didn't move at a decent pace...it bounces to the side stories and spends 40 pages at a time on something that ultimately doesn't matter. It is over 800 pages so it is a decent commitment. If they would have cut out 2 story-lines that didn't really matter in the end they could have cut out over 200 pages and it would have been much better.

I give it 3 starts out of 5 and wouldn't suggest it unless you are a sci-fi geek. If you are sci-fi geek go for it.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Necro.I am currently on Book 3 of The Wheel of Time. Finished The Way of Kings, and can't wait for the second book. Might also be time for my yearly reading of The Stand.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Rain:
    Necro.I am currently on Book 3 of The Wheel of Time. Finished The Way of Kings, and can't wait for the second book. Might also be time for my yearly reading of The Stand.
    For the others that were wondering:

"necro, the posting of messages in online forum threads that have not been used for a significant amount of time."
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    ddubridge:
    Rain:

"necro, the posting of messages in online forum threads that have not been used for a significant amount of time."
    I'm about to Troll you...
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Rain:
    ddubridge:
    Rain:

I'm about to Troll you...
    Bring It!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1P6zdgL94E
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Want to bump this.

I started book 5 of Martins "A song of ice and fire". I love this series.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Zig Ziglars secrets of closing the sale.

• brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    roland_7707:
    Want to bump this.

talk to me when you finish it. I have been dying to have someone who has read the whole series to talk to.....everyone I know tapped out midway through the 4th book.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    brianetz1:
    roland_7707:
    Want to bump this.

talk to me when you finish it. I have been dying to have someone who has read the whole series to talk to.....everyone I know tapped out midway through the 4th book.

I am 98% done on the first four. Just could not do it anymore. If a book is going to be that long the story has to keep me engaged.
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    I'm re- reading grapes of wrath for the first time since high school. Also reading Made to Stick.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    brianetz1:
    roland_7707:
    Want to bump this.

I've read the series twice now and am waiting for January when 6 is released. I know a lot of people who bailled out after characters were killed off.

I just started rereading the Dresden Files series.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    He kinda made me mad when he killed off most people, but my thinking was that it has to go somewhere. But i did like it when he killed Joff, he got what was coming to him. (I said laughing quietly to myself).
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern and re-reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Before that was The Jewels of Aptor by Samuel R. Delaney.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    I'm about to crack open Infinite Jest. I may have to take another three months off from the forum...
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    brianetz1:
    roland_7707:
    Want to bump this.

I've finished all five of the books. As far as I'm concerned, the series peaked with the third book (which the TV series is only halfway through). Book 4 was an abomination, and Book 5 was only marginally better. But the direction Martin is going in is not promising.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Finished Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey last week .... it was the first book of the series and I can't wait to read through the others ....
    This was a fantastic fantasy/thriller book!! It was very hard to put down. I haven't read a fiction book this good in a long time.

“The best B movie I’ve read in at least twenty years. An addictively satisfying, deeply amusing, dirty-ass masterpiece, Sandman Slim swerves hell-bent through our culture’s impacted gridlock of genres…it’s like watching Sergio Leone and Clive Barker co-direct from a script by Jim Thompson and S. Clay Wilson.”
    (William Gibson)

I also finished up Gun Machine by Warren Ellis last night .... this description is pretty spot on.
    "Ellis tackles the police procedural, although it's bloodier and more intriguing than any episode of Law & Order or CSI, and arms it with gallows humor, high-tension action scenes and an unlikely hero."
    (Brian Truitt, USA Today )
    It's an interesting book, but the ending left me wanting more ....
    If you can make it through the first 100-ish pages you'll be fine .... but it's not the easiest read.
    The first 1/3 seemed to really drag and I had to force myself to get through it .... but around the 1/2 way point things picked up and it was a an all out "sprint" towards the end.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Read Captain Bligh's journal, written day by day as he made his way from east of Tahiti to Dutch Timor in a 23' ship's boat loaded down with 18 men. Hardship and privation; savages and seamanship. I like first hand accounts.

• raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    webmost:
    Read Captain Bligh's journal, written day by day as he made his way from east of Tahiti to Dutch Timor in a 23' ship's boat loaded down with 18 men. Hardship and privation; savages and seamanship. I like first hand accounts.

I need to read that, since I recently completed The Bounty by Caroline Alexander. If you believe her account, Lieutenant (never Captain) Bligh truly got shafted by history. The mutineers' complaints were petty at worst and the mutiny certainly wasn't justified in the sense that Bligh was an incompetent or insane officer. The fact that he got all of his loyal men across the Pacific in that lifeboat after Fletcher & Co. stranded there is a tribute to his leadership and navigational skills.