Home Non Cigar Related

Watcha reading

Comments

• webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    raisindot:
    webmost:
    Read Captain Bligh's journal, written day by day as he made his way from east of Tahiti to Dutch Timor in a 23' ship's boat loaded down with 18 men. Hardship and privation; savages and seamanship. I like first hand accounts.

I need to read that, since I recently completed The Bounty by Caroline Alexander. If you believe her account, Lieutenant (never Captain) Bligh truly got shafted by history. The mutineers' complaints were petty at worst and the mutiny certainly wasn't justified in the sense that Bligh was an incompetent or insane officer. The fact that he got all of his loyal men across the Pacific in that lifeboat after Fletcher & Co. stranded there is a tribute to his leadership and navigational skills.
    Thanks for the tip. I found Caroline's Bounty at Amazon for a penny and threw in Shackleton for another penny.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I always have several books going at one time. For "heady" reading it's David McCullough's biography of Harry Truman. For exercising on the elliptical at the health club it's Starlight by Neil Gaiman. For late-night before going to bed reading I've just bought an old, hardbound 20-volume complete set of Dickens and nestling into Bleak House.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    raisindot:
    I always have several books going at one time. For "heady" reading it's David McCullough's biography of Harry Truman. For exercising on the elliptical at the health club it's Starlight by Neil Gaiman. For late-night before going to bed reading I've just bought an old, hardbound 20-volume complete set of Dickens and nestling into Bleak House.
    I had to get away from Gaiman a bit, his endings are really hit and miss. I liked American Gods, but the one about the WWII gold ticked me off at the end.
  • scooter mcgeescooter mcgee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 322
    The Last Lion a biography of Winston Churchill the 3rd and final book
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    scooter mcgee:
    The Last Lion an autobiography of Winston Churchill the 3rd and final book
    Hang on... That's a biography by a guy named Manchester.

Winnie himself wrote a wonderful six volume history of the years leading up to the war, the war itself, and the denouement. The only books I've ever read where the footnotes are as wonderful as the text. I always prefer first hand accounts.

• MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Finished a bio of Woody Guthrie called Ramblin' Man. Also read a book called Tattos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless compassion. Good read in some ways, but too many quotes pulled from Bartlett's in an attempt to sound smart and make a point.

Re-reading The Hobbit for the umpteenth time so I can help my kid with a project for school.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    brianetz1:
    roland_7707:
    Want to bump this.

I started book 5 of Martins "A song of ice and fire". I love this series.
    talk to me when you finish it. I have been dying to have someone who has read the whole series to talk to.....everyone I know tapped out midway through the 4th book.
    Finished today bub, u have a pm.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    ok so im currently reading nothing.looks like i need to get my butt to the library.but it is nice to see so many avid readers!!!!!
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    Presently nothing... just finished Enders Game. Hadn't read it and figured my kids would want to talk about it with the movie recently released.
    macs-smokes:
    Presently nothing... just finished Enders Game. Hadn't read it and figured my kids would want to talk about it with the movie recently released.
    I used to be obsessed with that book. I had a T-shirt that said "The enemy's gate is down." Movie was halfway decent. I remember the days when there were debates about Haley Joel Osment and Jake Lloyd as Ender.

I'm rereading the Horatio Hornblower books. Thinking my son might like them, but not sure as I go through them this time.
    Just started 'War of the Dwarves' by Markus Heitz. Loved the first book.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Still pushing through The Wheel of Time.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Still working my way through the Sandman Slim series.

Finished:
    Sandman Slim Great intro for the series. if you like this -- you'll like the others. Probably my 2nd favorite overall.

Kill the Dead Possibly my favorite so far -- it wins 1st place because there's zombies involved -- really fast paced, lots of action.

Aloha from Hell A lot of the issues from the first book get resolved -- lots of action. Good read. 3rd favorite.

Devil Said Bang Currently reading this one. Man I've been struggling to get through it. It's just not as entertaining as the previous books, IMO. Story line has gone a different direction and there's just not as much action as the other books. It's ok but after reading the others back-to-back this just seems slow.

Kill City Blues Will be my next read....hoping it's more like the first 3 books, and better than Devil Said Bang
  • gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Doctor Sleep. If you like Stephen King, you will love this.
    I was wondering if that was any good. Thanks.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Finished Inferno by Dan Brown. Pretty good book. Started The Colorado Kid by Stephen King. Have a few thousand books on my Nook HD+ so much more lined up. This year I have read everything written by Harlan Coben, Brad Thor, Vince Flynn (R.I.P).
    so you guys like ot read huh? photo IMG_0366_zps4c146f64.jpg
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    twistedstem:
    so you guys like ot read huh? photo IMG_0366_zps4c146f64.jpg
    Hahahah, nice. Nice looking bookmarks too.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    I'm a Nelson Demille ADDICT!

Reading The gate house right now
    New Boots:

John Corey is a badass.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    gripnrip:
    New Boots:

John Corey is a badass.

I aspire to be John Corey
    They've been on my list for years, but I just picked up C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy and hope to dive in this weekend.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Just finished Devil in the White City, and now for something completely different, "The Longest Ride" which somehow just appeared in my house last week, and "The Fault in our Stars", which came highly recommended by a friend. Both completely different so one will have to go on hold since I find it a little difficult to do two at the same time... ( books that is ).
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    Martel:
    They've been on my list for years, but I just picked up C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy and hope to dive in this weekend.
    good reads!
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    curtpick:
    Martel:
    good reads!
    This I'm not familiar with. Space Trilogy? I've read the Narnia books, when I was young, other C.S. Lewis writings, eg. The Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, The Great Divorce, but haven't heard of the Space Trilogy. Unless I'm just spacing it out. (sorry, just had to do it.)
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Just started rereading Christopher Moore's Sacre Bleu. Love this guy's sense of humor.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    Just finished This Book is Full of Spiders from David Wong who also wrote John Dies at The End. Awesome scifi horror comedy book. The movie for John Dies is even pretty good. I recommend it to anyone that likes a book about invisible mind controlling spiders lol.
    JSaint:
    Just finished This Book is Full of Spiders from David Wong who also wrote John Dies at The End. Awesome scifi horror comedy book. The movie for John Dies is even pretty good. I recommend it to anyone that likes a book about invisible mind controlling spiders lol.
    read both thought they were greta books better then the movie in my opinoin...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    gripnrip:
    I've got that, but haven't read it yet. Just read his "Joyland" and really enjoyed it. Also read his son, Joe Hill's "Horns" and that was really good. Hill's earlier book, "Heart Shaped Box" was also very well done.

YankeeMan:
    gripnrip:
    I've got that, but haven't read it yet. Just read his "Joyland" and really enjoyed it. Also read his son, Joe Hill's "Horns" and that was really good. Hill's earlier book, "Heart Shaped Box" was also very well done.

I tried to read Hill's NOS4A2 and could not get in to it....gave up after about 100 pages. Anybody read that yet, and does it get better the deeper you go?