Home Non Cigar Related

Gardens

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Corn planted - green beans planted - peas planted - tomato plants set ( a bunch ) .

Squash and cucumbers up and looking good . Pepper plants looking good . Potatos coming up and looking good as well . Onions so-so , not looking great but still time to plant more if need be . Planted some cantaloupe and water melons - probably a little too early but didn't plant many - more to plant later .
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    gmill880:
    Corn planted - green beans planted - peas planted - tomato plants set ( a bunch ) .

Squash and cucumbers up and looking good . Pepper plants looking good . Potatos coming up and looking good as well . Onions so-so , not looking great but still time to plant more if need be . Planted some cantaloupe and water melons - probably a little too early but didn't plant many - more to plant later .

Isn't spring A great time to be alive? A man and the soil. Serenity in dirty hands.
  • pbchevopbchevo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 712
    i always forget to water them
    RBeckom:
    gmill880:

Isn't spring A great time to be alive? A man and the soil. Serenity in dirty hands.

Yes RBeckom it is a great time . My garden is at the farm I inherited from my dad and it is always a good time of reflection , thinking about the countless years of gardens we worked in together . Using some of the tools we used together , I can almost sense his presence , sometimes I feel like I can almost hear his words . Do this a little different or like this or I would plant that over here . I feel a closeness to him planting and working the garden . I'll never be the gardner he was but I think he would be proud of the effort . I miss being able to ask his opinion and for guidance on more stuff than this garden .

But yes , it feels great to get down and dirty with mother earth and see if she feels like giving me back something good for the effort . Gene
    gmill880:
    RBeckom:
    gmill880:

Yes RBeckom it is a great time . My garden is at the farm I inherited from my dad and it is always a good time of reflection , thinking about the countless years of gardens we worked in together . Using some of the tools we used together , I can almost sense his presence , sometimes I feel like I can almost hear his words . Do this a little different or like this or I would plant that over here . I feel a closeness to him planting and working the garden . I'll never be the gardner he was but I think he would be proud of the effort . I miss being able to ask his opinion and for guidance on more stuff than this garden .

But yes , it feels great to get down and dirty with mother earth and see if she feels like giving me back something good for the effort . Gene

Great memories. Mine are similar. We always had room for gardens. Fine times.
    Some good rainey weather the weekend has the garden looking more and more alive . Plants look refreshed and healthy ... nothing is better than rainwater at putting the perk back into plants .

Also in the damp/wet earth found some Raccoon tracks , skunk tracks , dog tracks , something that looked like a big a$$ bird track of some kind . A good rain will let you know who else is checking out the 'ol garden in anticipation of a snack too !!!
    gmill880:
    Some good rainey weather the weekend has the garden looking more and more alive . Plants look refreshed and healthy ... nothing is better than rainwater at putting the perk back into plants .

Also in the damp/wet earth found some Raccoon tracks , skunk tracks , dog tracks , something that looked like a big a$$ bird track of some kind . A good rain will let you know who else is checking out the 'ol garden in anticipation of a snack too !!!

Including grass. Time to cut.
    Corn coming up nicly now . 6 rows of Silver Queen and 6 rows of Peaches and Cream .
    Growing nicely now.

Looking good RBeckom .
    gmill880:
    Looking good RBeckom .

There's A lot of quiet contemplation here. AKA Work!!!!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Wow Beck, that's a fine looking garden you got going there. I still haven't put anything in yet.. Warmer weather headed my way so maybe this weekend.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Very nice Rodney...lot of work there, but the pay-off sure will be nice.

The only bit of gardening I'm doing this year is a little patch of millet for the bird. Figure I ought to be able to harvest enough to keep my cockatiel happy for quite some time...and save some money in the process.
    j0z3r:
    Very nice Rodney...lot of work there, but the pay-off sure will be nice.

The only bit of gardening I'm doing this year is a little patch of millet for the bird. Figure I ought to be able to harvest enough to keep my cockatiel happy for quite some time...and save some money in the process.

The first cucumber.......:-)
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Finally got a chance to snap a few pics of our "garden"....it certainly doesn't compare to what some of you guys have going on....but for a few little pots on our deck, I like to think we're doing alright.

A bunch of Herbs:
    Basil, Dill, Pineapple Mint, Bay, Chives, Thyme, Cilantro, Parsley, Oregano, Mint

And the other plants:
    Sweet 100 tomato, better boy tomato, serrano pepper, lime tree.
    jgibv:
    Finally got a chance to snap a few pics of our "garden"....it certainly doesn't compare to what some of you guys have going on....but for a few little pots on our deck, I like to think we're doing alright.

A bunch of Herbs:
    Basil, Dill, Pineapple Mint, Bay, Chives, Thyme, Cilantro, Parsley, Oregano, Mint

And the other plants:
    Sweet 100 tomato, better boy tomato, serrano pepper, lime tree.

Nice.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    Once again no pictures (i have 3 cameras, maybe i should use them lol) but my grandparents are working on a mini vineyard/orchard (muscadines, grapes, figs, apples, pears, blueberries, etc) and Ive put a lot of work into the irrigation systems, its pretty cool. Ill try for pictures next time i head over there, i have to replace some valves that aren't holding up to the elements and see about getting a refund on them.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    We have a garden going with all sorts of things. Beans x2, peas, broccli (cant spell that one), brussel sprouts, pumpkins, squash, zuchinni, cantalope, kale x2, lettuce x2, horse radish, onions, carrots and a bunch of different herbs. All of our herbs came back from last year and our sage is already about 2ft tall and 3ft wide. Anyone have any idea what to do with sage?
    Goldy:
    We have a garden going with all sorts of things. Beans x2, peas, broccli (cant spell that one), brussel sprouts, pumpkins, squash, zuchinni, cantalope, kale x2, lettuce x2, horse radish, onions, carrots and a bunch of different herbs. All of our herbs came back from last year and our sage is already about 2ft tall and 3ft wide. Anyone have any idea what to do with sage?

Dried and crushed it makes A good additive to A dry rub for pork.
    Sage is a good poultry herb too.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    We decided to experiment this year, since the topsy turvey wasn't big enough. We don't have a lot of extra room, though I have 2 of these hanging and have since started blooming this week. Got 2 more on the side of the house (in the ground), that I put in a couple of weeks ago....I love me some tomatos, so I'm gonna try what I can....

CvilleE:
    We decided to experiment this year, since the topsy turvey wasn't big enough. We don't have a lot of extra room, though I have 2 of these hanging and have since started blooming this week. Got 2 more on the side of the house (in the ground), that I put in a couple of weeks ago....I love me some tomatos, so I'm gonna try what I can....

I'd like to see photos as they mature.
    CvilleE:

That's probably better than the Topsy Turvy, if you get any kind of direct sun on the TT, they get sun rot and fall apart. And it's not like they do anything that special either, your bucket will do the trick just as well.
    Will do...give me a bit and I'll go out and snap a shot of them now...this one is a BigBoy and is already gotten bigger than I thought it would...
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    CvilleE:
    Will do...give me a bit and I'll go out and snap a shot of them now...this one is a BigBoy and is already gotten bigger than I thought it would...
    I too will be curious to know how this works out. We've never tried the upside-down, topsy turvy, method - but our old neighbor had one and said it only worked well with cherry tomatos.

She told us that the bigger tomatos were too heavy and would cause the branches/stalk to bend and then snap & break. Have you ever had that problem when planting them this way?
    jgibv:
    CvilleE:
    I too will be curious to know how this works out. We've never tried the upside-down, topsy turvy, method - but our old neighbor had one and said it only worked well with cherry tomatos.

She told us that the bigger tomatos were too heavy and would cause the branches/stalk to bend and then snap & break. Have you ever had that problem when planting them this way?
    We had the topsy last year and had a few tomatos..nothing broke, it was just that we had to water it 2 times a day or it would dry out..no big tomatos developed...I done this just to try getting close to a 5 gallon bucket of fresh fertilized garden dirt...these took off faster this year than the couple I put in the ground so we'll see....the concept is good, but I figured from last year, you have to be able to add fresh dirt (or have a lot more) as the plant matures. Couldn't do that with the topsy...for tommy toes (as I call them, it worked ok) but to have big ones, they need more dirt...
    Tomatoes are near the three foot mark now. I can't wait for that first fried tomato biscuit.
    Zucchini and cucumbers are starting to produce now. Fresh salads aren't far off now.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Been meaning to post here for quite some time. My wife and I have been in our hosue for about 5 years we have a few fruit trees and have done a summer garden each year and threw in a few winter gardens too before the little one was born when we had more time. I'll post a longer description and some pictures up later on this weekend.
    boydmcgowan:
    Been meaning to post here for quite some time. My wife and I have been in our hosue for about 5 years we have a few fruit trees and have done a summer garden each year and threw in a few winter gardens too before the little one was born when we had more time. I'll post a longer description and some pictures up later on this weekend.

Welcome to our little farming community.