Home Non Cigar Related

Gardens

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    CvilleE:
    Just an update on my bucket-o-tomatoes...not going as I hoped, but didn't really expect too much anyhow. We might get a couple off of it, but don't think this is a very good solution to no room for tomatoes...I did manage to squeeze a few into my front flower bed and they are doing well!

On the other hand, we have become overwhelmed with June Apples (yes like the month). We have filled the freezer, made pies, and can't even give enough of them away to keep the yard clean. They are great eaten I have to say despite the hassle.

Dang, that's a shame about the bucket-o-tomatoes - I was hoping they'd work out for you (because i wanted to try it out too). oh well, i guess in-ground/tomato pots are the best way to go.
    And just curious, any idea why you think the big buckets didn't work out?

And holy apples batman! That's awesome - we get some fresh apples from my (soon-to-be) in laws, but nothing close to that amount from 1 tree!
    Do you make applesauce with them too?
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    jgibv:
    CvilleE:
    Just an update on my bucket-o-tomatoes...not going as I hoped, but didn't really expect too much anyhow. We might get a couple off of it, but don't think this is a very good solution to no room for tomatoes...I did manage to squeeze a few into my front flower bed and they are doing well!

On the other hand, we have become overwhelmed with June Apples (yes like the month). We have filled the freezer, made pies, and can't even give enough of them away to keep the yard clean. They are great eaten I have to say despite the hassle.

Dang, that's a shame about the bucket-o-tomatoes - I was hoping they'd work out for you (because i wanted to try it out too). oh well, i guess in-ground/tomato pots are the best way to go.

And holy apples batman! That's awesome - we get some fresh apples from my (soon-to-be) in laws, but nothing close to that amount from 1 tree!
    Not sure why it didn't work but it seems growing something upside down just goes against the laws of gravity. I had miracle grow garden dirt in there, and it was a 4 gallon bucket, 8+ hrs of sunlight, so it seems to be plenty...next time maybe I'll set them on the ground in the bucket right side up and see what the diffence is....probably won't hang them like that anymore.

As for the apples, I think my grandmother is making me some apple sause, but June Apples kind of soften up as you heat them. We froze a bunch and as we warm them up for supper it almost melts into apple sause on its own. If you like sour apples, this is the kind to get.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    So far my pepper crop including:
    Poblano Mulato Island Pepper
    BUTCH "T" TRINIDAD SCORPION
    GHOST PEPPER (OR BHUT JOLOKIA PEPPER)
    PEPPER JOE CAYENNE
    PETER PEPPER
    The last grown as A novelty,
    Is growing fine with A better than average outlook for the harvest.
    CvilleE:
    jgibv:
    CvilleE:

Not sure why it didn't work but it seems growing something upside down just goes against the laws of gravity. I had miracle grow garden dirt in there, and it was a 4 gallon bucket, 8+ hrs of sunlight, so it seems to be plenty...next time maybe I'll set them on the ground in the bucket right side up and see what the diffence is....probably won't hang them like that anymore.

As for the apples, I think my grandmother is making me some apple sause, but June Apples kind of soften up as you heat them. We froze a bunch and as we warm them up for supper it almost melts into apple sause on its own. If you like sour apples, this is the kind to get.
    Hmm - yeah certainly sounds like you had the right "ingredients" for the tomatos (soil/lots of sun/water). That's a shame it didn't work.

Not a big fan of sour apples - I'm more of a Red Delicious/Gala/Honeycrisp kind of guy...
    Mcintosh is about as "tart" as I'll go.
    RBeckom:
    PEPPER JOE CAYENNE
    PETER PEPPER
    LOL....
    had no idea that a "peter pepper" was a real thing
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    We have 4 tomato plants of various sizes.

Our strawberries have taken over half the garden. We have picked them about 6 times now and have had hundreds of strawberries.

This year I only planted 1 zucchini plant because they can take over. Good choice because this sucker is huge.

I planted 2 types of peppers but don't remember what they are. Last year I had Asian Peppers that were amazing. I picked that 1 plant over 20 times during the summer and fall. It reproduced pepper like you wouldn't believe. I couldn't find one for this years garden.
    jgibv:
    RBeckom:
    PEPPER JOE CAYENNE
    PETER PEPPER
    LOL....

I plan on having plenty of fun with these as A conversation piece.
    RBeckom:
    jgibv:
    RBeckom:
    PEPPER JOE CAYENNE
    PETER PEPPER
    LOL....

I plan on having plenty of fun with these as A conversation piece.
    haha - i imagine they will be quite the conversation piece
    I have more green beans on my hoops than I know what to do with.
    Squash are winding down now. Time to plant more.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 84
    CvilleE:
    jgibv:
    CvilleE:

I'm also not sure why the tomatoes didn't work for you. Sounds like you did things right. I have been able to grow them upside down in the past. They took longer than growing them regular and they didn't seem to get as large but other than that it does work.
  • *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    Finally some Pics. Sorry for them being so close up. Its gardening california style, meaning we don't have a lot of room. hahaha. So I had a hard time taking pictures. So Ironically enough its been pretty lame weather here for most of May and the early part of June. Its only just started warming up so I think we're gonna have a late harvest on the tomatoes. Even the Early Girls aren't even close to being ready yet. But The Cucumbers are coming in, and we've picked the green beans once already. So its not so bad.
    boydmcgowan:
    RBeckom:
    boydmcgowan:
    Been meaning to post here for quite some time. My wife and I have been in our hosue for about 5 years we have a few fruit trees and have done a summer garden each year and threw in a few winter gardens too before the little one was born when we had more time. I'll post a longer description and some pictures up later on this weekend.

Welcome to our little farming community.
    Allright so its been a week or so . . . . still no pics. Seriously those will come soon

So What we planted this year . . . . .

First. 5 Tomato plants, 3 are heirloom varieties and I know one of hte standards is an early girl, i forget all the names though. And aside from the early girls which we planyt ever year, we just sort of wing it with the rest every year. Tomatoes love our climate here, although everything is off to a late start . . . its still kind of cold every morning and the days haven't heated up yet. So I'm guessing it'll be a late year for the garden.

Second. We also have a dozen Pole Beans which we've also found also do really well once the sumer heats up. Their about 3-4 feet tall right now and usually get to 6 feet and then double back down the poles we have them climbing up. Big fans of Green beens and these put out a ton and we usually get to pick em 3 or 4 times before it dies back. These and the Tomatoes taste great and it saves us a ton of throughout the year.

Third. We also only have one jalepeno pant this year. A few years ago we did 2 of those a habanero and thair chilis and we still have hot sauce left over from that so the lone pepper this year is a jalapeno which we like to use fresh when we need em.

You can see this little guy in the bottem left of the tomato picture.

Fourth. And this year we're tryin Cucumbers again. A few years ago we planted a bunch of them, but they we're all bitter, so we're trying again. I think we picked up some sort of climbing Cucumber. We'll see. I'm the food taster and I still can't ge tthe taste of those bitter a$$ cucumbers out of my head from a few years ago, so I'm never excited for these.

Fifth, from seed we planted 4 rows of lettuce. I forget what they are, but their some sort of fancy lettuce from seed. My wife's hobby is cooking and she's real good at it, so she is very picky about her ingredients. We'll see how they do. I left the seed packet outside about half full after planting our rows and soaked that too. whoops. that might get ugly.

Their around the raspberries.image

And we have a few permanent things as well. We seem to always to chives, even though I think the last time we planted them was about 3 years ago. Our Rasberries came back en force this year so that'll be fun (last year we didn't get any fruit so hopefully this year) and our fruit trees are getting old enough that the Oranges are sweet for the first time the lemons are nice and big and the persimmons are going to fruit for the first time.

And thankfully I convinced my wife to give up on the strawberry thing. they take up so much room and we just can't grow anything worth the space.

I am blessed with an awesome climate so all it takes was a lot of work with the soil the first year we put them in and then we just turn in some bumper crop each year before planting and then its just a matter of watering and waiting. Pics to follow. . . . at some point, my wife is out of town and I'm a technophobe, soooo, I'll see what I can do.
    Nice looking garden.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Not much to post here, the only thing I'm growing is millet for my cockatiel. But today I discovered that the seed sprays are starting to come in, which I found really cool.

• jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    so. I am left with the duty of watering my mom's plants and flowers while she is away. Can you guys tell me when is the best time to do so? Is there a best time? I hear it's no bueno to do it when it's dab right in the middle of the hot day.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    No clue how you guys do that stuff. I am the original black thumb. I suppose that in all my past lives combined I have never been a farmer -- always a hunter.

Make meat not gourds
    jliu:
    so. I am left with the duty of watering my mom's plants and flowers while she is away. Can you guys tell me when is the best time to do so? Is there a best time? I hear it's no bueno to do it when it's dab right in the middle of the hot day.
    you've heard correctly - you do not want to water during the "heat of the day" because the water will quickly evaporate and the plants won't have a chance to absorb it.

Either early morning or late in the evening is your best bet. Water slowly, especially if they're in pots because if you go too fast, all the water will flow right through and go out the holes at the bottom.
    jgibv:
    jliu:
    you've heard correctly - you do not want to water during the "heat of the day" because the water will quickly evaporate and the plants won't have a chance to absorb it.

Either early morning or late in the evening is your best bet. Water slowly, especially if they're in pots because if you go too fast, all the water will flow right through and go out the holes at the bottom.
    cool. great way to have a yardgar and water some plants. might as well crack open a can of coors while i'm at it
    The heat wave is slowly destroying my garden.
    Even with sprinklers I am having trouble keeping it hydrated.
    Hows everyone Else's doing?
    RBeckom:
    I live in the Bay Area. I don't have that problem. You want to tell me to f off don't you? Go ahead. I am ready
    jliu:
    RBeckom:
    I live in the Bay Area. I don't have that problem. You want to tell me to f off don't you? Go ahead. I am ready

That would not be neighborly of me would it?
    I am glad to here someone is fairing better with the weather than I am.

:-)
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Oh wow, how did I miss this thread? I'll have to snap some pics.

Yeah, the heat is brutal right now.
    Russ55:
    Oh wow, how did I miss this thread? I'll have to snap some pics.

Yeah, the heat is brutal right now.

Welcome to our little farming community.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    luckily we have a very small garden set up here at the house, just a couple of tomato plants beside a couple of squash plants. Unfortunately the heat is hurting our blueberry bush, along with our young apple tree (its too far out to water enough) our figs are fine so far... today my aunt brought over a box of peppers and tomatoes they picked this morning and they are great, but even right beside their house the heat is hurting.
    RBeckom:
    jliu:
    RBeckom:

oh. you a nice folk. i like you
    jliu:
    RBeckom:
    jliu:
    RBeckom:

oh. you a nice folk. i like you

Thank you.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    taythegibs:
    luckily we have a very small garden set up here at the house, just a couple of tomato plants beside a couple of squash plants. Unfortunately the heat is hurting our blueberry bush, along with our young apple tree (its too far out to water enough) our figs are fine so far... today my aunt brought over a box of peppers and tomatoes they picked this morning and they are great, but even right beside their house the heat is hurting.
    one of the tomatoes we got from my aunt today-

taythegibs:
    taythegibs:
    one of the tomatoes we got from my aunt today-

That tomato begs to be made fun of but I digress.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Just pulled a few cherry tomatoes out of the garden, our first this year, and man, what a difference in flavor between the stuff you get at the grocery store. It always surprises me.
    Russ55:
    Just pulled a few cherry tomatoes out of the garden, our first this year, and man, what a difference in flavor between the stuff you get at the grocery store. It always surprises me.
    He11s yes, I hear you bro!
    We just picked our first batch last week; had about 20 all turn ripe at once and mmm, mmm, mmm delicious. And you're so right, the home-grown ones don't even compare to the store-bought, hydroponic little red turds they try to pass off as tomatoes.

But I'm worried about our Better Boy Tomatoes; we got 4 coming in, they're getting big but still green and we haven't seen any new fruits in a few weeks. The weather's been weird though and it's our first year with this variety so I don't know how good of a yield we'll end up getting.

And our serrano peppers are looking good, we have about 10-15 that will be picked this weekend and another 10-ish that are under an inch long with some buds still popping up. The plant has been dropping leaves though so not too sure what's going on.

And the herbs are still truckin' along, we did a big harvest a few weeks ago and cut them all way back but all the plants are quickly approaching their "pre-cut" sizes. (The dill and cilantro flowered and are done for the season though)
    The dry spell finally broke here but my garden suffered greatly.
    Hopefully it will rally somewhat.
    The hardest hit was my tobacco crop.