Home Non Cigar Related

Gardens

Comments

• RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Today I got to harvest the first of my potato crop. Both the Yukon Gold and the Pontiac Red did very well. Were having wild turkey wrapped in bacon, fresh potatoes and dressing with cranberry sauce tonight. I'm going to burst before this day is through.
    We finally got An appreciable amount of beneficial rain yesterday.
    Garden update.

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    I forgot how green it is back home, I am surrounded in brown, lol
    marineatbn03:
    I forgot how green it is back home, I am surrounded in brown, lol

Green is good. Hopefully you will see the green soon brother.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    RBeckom:
    boydmcgowan:
    Been meaning to post here for quite some time. My wife and I have been in our hosue for about 5 years we have a few fruit trees and have done a summer garden each year and threw in a few winter gardens too before the little one was born when we had more time. I'll post a longer description and some pictures up later on this weekend.

Welcome to our little farming community.
    Allright so its been a week or so . . . . still no pics. Seriously those will come soon

So What we planted this year . . . . .

First. 5 Tomato plants, 3 are heirloom varieties and I know one of hte standards is an early girl, i forget all the names though. And aside from the early girls which we planyt ever year, we just sort of wing it with the rest every year. Tomatoes love our climate here, although everything is off to a late start . . . its still kind of cold every morning and the days haven't heated up yet. So I'm guessing it'll be a late year for the garden.

Second. We also have a dozen Pole Beans which we've also found also do really well once the sumer heats up. Their about 3-4 feet tall right now and usually get to 6 feet and then double back down the poles we have them climbing up. Big fans of Green beens and these put out a ton and we usually get to pick em 3 or 4 times before it dies back. These and the Tomatoes taste great and it saves us a ton of throughout the year.

Third. We also only have one jalepeno pant this year. A few years ago we did 2 of those a habanero and thair chilis and we still have hot sauce left over from that so the lone pepper this year is a jalapeno which we like to use fresh when we need em.

Fourth. And this year we're tryin Cucumbers again. A few years ago we planted a bunch of them, but they we're all bitter, so we're trying again. I think we picked up some sort of climbing Cucumber. We'll see. I'm the food taster and I still can't ge tthe taste of those bitter a$$ cucumbers out of my head from a few years ago, so I'm never excited for these.

Fifth, from seed we planted 4 rows of lettuce. I forget what they are, but their some sort of fancy lettuce from seed. My wife's hobby is cooking and she's real good at it, so she is very picky about her ingredients. We'll see how they do. I left the seed packet outside about half full after planting our rows and soaked that too. whoops. that might get ugly.

And we have a few permanent things as well. We seem to always to chives, even though I think the last time we planted them was about 3 years ago. Our Rasberries came back en force this year so that'll be fun (last year we didn't get any fruit so hopefully this year) and our fruit trees are getting old enough that the Oranges are sweet for the first time the lemons are nice and big and the persimmons are going to fruit for the first time.

And thankfully I convinced my wife to give up on the strawberry thing. they take up so much room and we just can't grow anything worth the space.

I am blessed with an awesome climate so all it takes was a lot of work with the soil the first year we put them in and then we just turn in some bumper crop each year before planting and then its just a matter of watering and waiting. Pics to follow. . . . at some point, my wife is out of town and I'm a technophobe, soooo, I'll see what I can do.
    We await your photos good sir.
  • StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    I had a garden in college. My closet was 6x4... Wait. Maybe i shouldn't be discussing this here. Nevermind... Carry on...

Streater:
    I had a garden in college. My closet was 6x4... Wait. Maybe i shouldn't be discussing this here. Nevermind... Carry on...

I prefer the regular tobacco, not the wacky-tobacky kind.
    Garden update.
    Time to start enjoying the fruits of my labor.

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Very nice. I don't think I've grown anything that produced quite like zucchini.
    j0z3r:

This is the first year I've grown Black Beauty's. They grow astoundedly fast. I hope they taste as good as they look.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Zuchs are the gift you keep on giving. And if no one wants them you just leave them onthe doorstep and run
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    RBeckom:
    j0z3r:

This is the first year I've grown Black Beauty's. They grow astoundedly fast. I hope they taste as good as they look.
    If so you will be in for a treat because they look delicious.

Update on ours - everything is taking off like crazy.
    All of the herbs have nearly doubled in size since we planted them 3 weeks ago.
    The pepper and tomato plants are getting big too - tomatoes are about 1 foot tall and have a few blossoms on each plant, and the peppers are probably 8-10 inches tall now too.

And the lime tree is doing well - each branch has new shoots, with the "longest new growth" being about 8 inches tall....
    I know it will be a few seasons before the tree produces fruit, but I can't wait to have fresh, home-grown limes for my mojitos and limeade .... yum
  • cmartincmartin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 130
    Cucumber

Zucchinni at 5 weeks

• IrishAJIrishAJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 135
    I've got sunflowers, hot and sweet peppers, violas and sweet peas at the moment. The veggies won't come till June.
    Pontiac Red Potatoes

Pontiac Red Potatoes

• armaes8armaes8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 279
    Fellas, Below are some links to a buddy of mines business here in Colorado. If you are really into gardening and plants he has created a one of a kind soil. There is nothing like it on the market and its taking Colorado by storm. I use it for all my plants, veggies and the results are unreal. My Veggies are huge and flavorful and plants are super healthy. His business was named Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce named Waste Farmers the "2010 Green Business of the Year" The website and contact information is the last link. He would be glad to help.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Making-a-difference/Change-Agent/2012/0130/John-Paul-Maxfield-aims-to-put-nutrients-from-food-waste-back-into-the-soil
    http://seedstock.com/2012/01/27/denver-waste-farmers-bring-soil-back-to-life
    "http://www.wastefarmers.com"
    Cabbage and green beans are in now. Good eating.
    Fine eating this time of the year. All kind of fresh vegetables are coming in now.

Cucumber from seeds to this in 7 weeks
    cmartin:

Cucumber from seeds to this in 7 weeks

Nice. What brand is it?
    Package says Marketmore cucumber from AmericanMeadows.com. Basically they are a non genetically modified, heat tolerant, easy to grow cucumber. The nice thing about it is that you only need 1 seed and it's guaranteed to grow. So that one pack will last us a while. I got 4 cucumbers that size out of it.
    cmartin:
    Package says Marketmore cucumber from AmericanMeadows.com. Basically they are a non genetically modified, heat tolerant, easy to grow cucumber. The nice thing about it is that you only need 1 seed and it's guaranteed to grow. So that one pack will last us a while. I got 4 cucumbers that size out of it.

Marketmore is A great choice for A true all around cuke. They never disappoint.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    very impressive Rodney. Fresh vegetable....ah
    Ya so far so good. It started out to be my wife's thing and turned into me doing all the work. Not that it's much. She bought a couple other veggies that are still growing. With all the rain we've been getting anything will grow at this point. Lol
    I will try to post A few photos of my garden tomorrow. It is looking great. It may be the best yet.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Just an update on my bucket-o-tomatoes...not going as I hoped, but didn't really expect too much anyhow. We might get a couple off of it, but don't think this is a very good solution to no room for tomatoes...I did manage to squeeze a few into my front flower bed and they are doing well!

On the other hand, we have become overwhelmed with June Apples (yes like the month). We have filled the freezer, made pies, and can't even give enough of them away to keep the yard clean. They are great eaten I have to say despite the hassle.

CvilleE:
    Just an update on my bucket-o-tomatoes...not going as I hoped, but didn't really expect too much anyhow. We might get a couple off of it, but don't think this is a very good solution to no room for tomatoes...I did manage to squeeze a few into my front flower bed and they are doing well!

On the other hand, we have become overwhelmed with June Apples (yes like the month). We have filled the freezer, made pies, and can't even give enough of them away to keep the yard clean. They are great eaten I have to say despite the hassle.

Wish I had your apple tree.