Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Well, I'm a huge Padron '26 Aniversary fan, and if you rate this one that high, I'll just have to get some of them. Problem is, they'll just sit in my humidor and stare back at me, 'cause I'll have to have a special occasion to light one up!. Thanks for another great review, Rip.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Thanks David. I also regret not having this cigar more and now I cannot buy anywhere with 2-3 years of age. Aging makes a huge different with Padron. It is not a everyday cigar but I do highly recommend it. I believe this is a very special wrapper and that makes the difference. The smoke is very light compares to any other Padron natural. In fact, it is completely a different Padron Natural wrapper. I will do some research about it. Sometime cigar maskers do not tell us the true source of tobaccos.
    JDH:
    Well, I'm a huge Padron '26 Aniversary fan, and if you rate this one that high, I'll just have to get some of them. Problem is, they'll just sit in my humidor and stare back at me, 'cause I'll have to have a special occasion to light one up!. Thanks for another great review, Rip.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    rzaman:
    Hi Lee, how old is that? is it Natural or Maduro?
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Good to know rip!! I have one from tony I put in the aging humi... I was gonna light it up soon but if you say rest it I'll rest it. And to rain the 64 and 26 are different... Not 10% different until you get in the family reserve and the other special batches. The 64 is milder than the 26 but I haven't had a padron I wouldn't buy again and again!!
    It's a natural and I'm not sure the age but I got it a few weeks ago...I sealed it up with some 80th's and fr45's I figure ill sit on them for a while if I can hold off lol
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Lee.mcglynn:
    rzaman:
    Hi Lee, how old is that? is it Natural or Maduro?
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Good to know rip!! I have one from tony I put in the aging humi... I was gonna light it up soon but if you say rest it I'll rest it. And to rain the 64 and 26 are different... Not 10% different until you get in the family reserve and the other special batches. The 64 is milder than the 26 but I haven't had a padron I wouldn't buy again and again!!
    It's a natural and I'm not sure the age but I got it a few weeks ago...I sealed it up with some 80th's and fr45's I figure ill sit on them for a while if I can hold off lol
    Hey Lee, I don't know the age on that stick either. I received it in a sampler of high-end Padrons from a guy on OLH. So chances are it has some age, but I'm not sure.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Usually I purchase the maduro '26. If it were a candy bar, it would be a very dark semi-sweet mocha expresso chocolate, with just a touch of cream. Haven't spent much time with the '26 natural, but if you think the 40th has a "special" wrapper, (which makes perfect sense) I'm going to have to get some of these before they all dissapear.
    rzaman:
    Thanks David. I also regret not having this cigar more and now I cannot buy anywhere with 2-3 years of age. Aging makes a huge different with Padron. It is not a everyday cigar but I do highly recommend it. I believe this is a very special wrapper and that makes the difference. The smoke is very light compares to any other Padron natural. In fact, it is completely a different Padron Natural wrapper. I will do some research about it. Sometime cigar maskers do not tell us the true source of tobaccos.
    JDH:
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I smoked an osok today, I felt like the pepper was little much in the first third and maybe another couple months would mellow it out a bit. Otherwise, it performed wonderfully and I love the subtle changes from the vitola and the quality of the finish. Damn thing lasted 2.5 hours.... Definately and excellent smoke as I remembered, but I think this was a fresh one I just got from Steve. Thanks big buddy or hooking a brother up. I might add that the tobacco is very strong and will give you a nice head change lol. I was to busy enjoying it and it crept up on me.
    Interesting thought...indeed you feel the tobacco. The beauty of this smoke is the spice and aromatic aroma at the back. Thanks for sharing your experience Dustin.
    catfishbluezz:
    I smoked an osok today, I felt like the pepper was little much in the first third and maybe another couple months would mellow it out a bit. Otherwise, it performed wonderfully and I love the subtle changes from the vitola and the quality of the finish. Damn thing lasted 2.5 hours.... Definately and excellent smoke as I remembered, but I think this was a fresh one I just got from Steve. Thanks big buddy or hooking a brother up. I might add that the tobacco is very strong and will give you a nice head change lol. I was to busy enjoying it and it crept up on me.
    Let me know know if you can find some 2-3 years aged. I am still searching but no luck so far. One collector is offering a full box from 2004 realese and I am still in the negotiation process.
    JDH:
    Usually I purchase the maduro '26. If it were a candy bar, it would be a very dark semi-sweet mocha expresso chocolate, with just a touch of cream. Haven't spent much time with the '26 natural, but if you think the 40th has a "special" wrapper, (which makes perfect sense) I'm going to have to get some of these before they all dissapear.
    rzaman:
    JDH:
    rzaman:
    Interesting thought...indeed you feel the tobacco. The beauty of this smoke is the spice and aromatic aroma at the back. Thanks for sharing your experience Dustin.
    catfishbluezz:
    I really did not want to pay attention, just enjoy really. I did not remember the spice being a bit too much for me the last time, but i know I had 6 and two were just sent to me so it might have been one of them. Either way, it is an amazing smoke and your review is spot on. The finish is excellent IMO, and an hour later my palette is ready for some tilapia in a rum, peppercorn, madarin orange sauce for dinner =]
    It may also be from not really smoking much habano as of late too Rip now that I think about it. I've been all over colorado and conny as of late.

I have a special bond and fondness with Zino Davidoff Crown Series regular and Emperor Edition cigars. The blender Henke Kelner blended this cigar with at least 2-5 years aged tobaccos. Obviously, this cigar has been launched for a specific niche market but Henke put his heart and soul to develop this blend. Initially, he used a Nicaraguan wrapper in 2007 release and quickly replaced it with an Ecuadorian sun-grown Connecticut seed wrapper next year in 2008. Nicaraguan tobacco does not have the subtleness as some other tobaccos. Henke always believe in balanced power with more flavor and aroma. A good cigar is not about strength and the power; it is about the balanced strength with full flavors and aroma. I have mentioned it numerous times in my different reviews. It is not an easy task but Henke was born with the special skills who has a vast knowledge about different tobaccos. He uses very little Nicaraguan tobacco to avoid the strength in his blend. This is one of my all time favorite smoke and one of the top non-Cuban in the market IMPO. In fact, this can compete with any top Cuban side by side as well. Maybe it is not even fair to compare this beauty with any other Cuban or Non-Cuban cigar because it is so unique with distinctive character. If you are looking for a medium bodied, well balanced, full flavored aroma with long finish then this is for you. It is very relaxing smoke for a special moment which will give you the tour to the cigar nirvana.
    Photobucket
    It is a very beautiful and stylish looking cigar. The milk chocolate smooth wrapper has some reddish hue and little visible veins. This blend contains 75% Ligero tobbaco but still very smooth and medium to full bodied. It has a dry wood scents with a slight vanilla sweetness to the foot. So much ligero but still it does not undermine the taste, favor and aroma or even feel overpowering. I don't know how Davidoff balanced this great cigar so well with so much ligero in it. Indeed, only Davidoff is capable to make a magical and smooth blend like this. I love a well balanced, flavorful and complex perfecto shape cigar because it allows me to enjoy the intensity of a cigar with smaller ring gauge and then slowly opens up its full flavor and aroma with each puff. The cigar is extremely complex with the combination of musty earth, wet woody, vanilla, white pepper, milk chocolate, mocha, aromatic cardamom spice with hints of nutmeg flavors and toasty nutty and slight flowery aroma at the back. It has an amazing flavor and aroma profile and perfect balance and long finish. Even in the entire Davidoff cigar profile, few cigars perform at this level. I would recommend this cigar to smoke in the morning with clean palate. This way you can enjoy the full flavor and the aroma. It has perfect construction and burn all the way from the head to foot. While smoking you do not realize that this is a power smoke but it starts with medium strength and then end with medium-full bodied finish.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Two years aged Sun-grown Ecuadorian Connecticut

Binder: Four years aged USA Connecticut

Filler: Five years Dominican Republic Piloto and two San Vincente and Peruvian Habano
    Photobucket
    1/3: First puff open up with clean smoke with signature Kelner musty earth, wet wood, mild white pepper flavors and toasted nutty aroma at the back. It is so smooth that reminds me of a creamy chicken with a pinch of white pepper on it. I can retrohale to enjoy the flavor because it is so smooth. The top of my tongue can feel the white pepper and my middle of tongue is full of toasty, nutty flavors with long, round finish. There is no aftertaste or harshness at all. I am retrohaling from the first puff and the subtle and delicate white peppery spiciness through the nose is amazing and very enjoyable. It is completely smooth, creamy and balanced.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage the cigar start take off from medium to full body with strength but again still smooth and creamy. The flavor profile taken over by distinctive wet cedar, milk chocolate, vanilla, subtle aromatic cardamom spice with a hint of nutmeg flavors. There is also a nice toasted nutty and super mild flowery note at the back. This is extremely complex with long dry finish. The top my tongue can feel robust white pepper spiciness and middle of my tongue is enjoying round and mouthful creamy vanilla, toasted walnut, milk chocolate and slight flowery aroma. Still there is no aftertaste or a tiny sign of any bitterness. I can still retrohale and enjoy the smooth flavors, aromas and creamy complex body. We can always find the sign of a true good cigar at the 2/3 stage. The smoke is simply stylish and classical at this stage. I am still enjoying the subtle and delicate white peppery spiciness kick through the nose. It really keeps me busy and giving me a crispy, tingly feeling to my palate.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: I am completely lost and floating on a smooth flavorful world. The power is constantly coming and going in-between medium to full body with all the above balanced and subtle flavors and aroma. At this stage - the cigar is fuller and rounder with complex combinations of flavors and aroma, sweeter, creamier. I can feel the mocha flavors with a tiny touch of butterscotch at the back. The complexity of this cigar crap my head off with a supernatural happiness. The Managua sky is clear, bright with plenty of tropical breeze. I am sitting in my backyard surrounded by the tropical garden with colorful flowers and orchids. I am still retrohaling it and enjoying the full flavor profile because it is so smooth. Overall, a perfect smoking experience. Somehow I am thinking of Neil Armstrong as the first man on the moon- "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth”. I am listening to Mike Oldfield's musical album "The songs of distant Earth" track which has Neil Armstrong's above statement at the background of the spiritual music. I found a teardrop in my eyes. It is for happiness to be alive and have the privilege to smoke a perfect cigar in a perfect day.

Dear friends, no final thought today because this is my time to enjoy the moment with a great cigar and the nature. I am simply happy to be alive and enjoying the personal heavenly moment. Whatever differences we have on earth between countries, religions and other- we are one human being created by a powerful force to respect each other, live side by side to enjoy and share this beautiful world. Peace on Earth.
    Photobucket
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Wow, Rip, I can tell you really enjoyed it! Thank you for the great review.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    That's a beautiful looking stick.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Who would haved known that a Chubby could bring such happines.... Ummm, you know what I meant. Nice review. (once again).
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Looks like I'll have to grab some!! I have been staring at these wondering if they are worth the price at my b&m...with such a good review well how can I say no lol thanks for the review rip!!
    Thanks Randy. I really enjoyed it a lot.
    Rain:
    Wow, Rip, I can tell you really enjoyed it! Thank you for the great review.
    It was truly very heavenly. It was from 2008 and little age just made it better. It was not only a smoke also a meditative journey. I appreciate your kind word. Thanks Kasper.
    kaspera79:
    Who would haved known that a Chubby could bring such happines.... Ummm, you know what I meant. Nice review. (once again).
    Price and taste are subjective. However, I have been smoking Crown Series for a while and they are simply exceptional smoke. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for your kind words.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Looks like I'll have to grab some!! I have been staring at these wondering if they are worth the price at my b&m...with such a good review well how can I say no lol thanks for the review rip!!
    Daniel, not only the look but also the construction and performance are exceptional. It is a phenomenal cigar.
    danielzreyes:
    That's a beautiful looking stick.

Frank Llaneza was a cigar icon who came from Cuba and re-created many Cuban brands. Wall Street Journal once described him as "the last grand old man of the cigar business carried over from Cuba. He was the president of Villazon & Co. cigar which was started by his father in Tampa. He was trained by Angel Oliva how to select wrapper. He along with Angel Oliva who first came down to Central America growing Cuban seeds in Honduras. He started working with General cigar when they purchased Villazon, later with Altadis USA and retired. All of those brands are owned by Scandinavians tobacco group who also own cigar International Inc. and some other famous online stores. Besides 1961, another popular brand is El Rey del Mundo. He also blended non-Cuban Hoyo, Punch, excalibur and many other blends. He devoted his entire life for the cigar industry. He took long time to create a cigar in his name. Finally, again the Oliva family provided him this extraordinary wrapper to create Frank Llaneza 1961. One prominent cigar maker told me that the original seeds came from Costa Rica and cloned with a Ecuadorian Criollo 98 seeds and grown in Ecuador with lifted sun light. After the embargo when US cigar makers were looking for a new tobacco source, Frank Llaneza went to Honduras and started the tobacco plantation with Cuban seeds. His devotion and work for the Non-Cuban cigar will always inspire the new generation. Sadly, this cigar legend passed away in 2010 with a huge void in the entire cigar industry.
    Photobucket
    The fermentation of this wrapper has been secret but the wrapper went through triple fermentation process. I have learned something new about triple fermentation recently. Triple fermentation is a marketing terms. In reality, after plucking a leaf from the tobacco plant the leaf starts the fermentation process. The term simply means longer fermentation then as usual. In a nutshell, after curing the tobacco leaves have all their potential locked inside then the tobacco leaves are placed into a groups of 20-30 leaves called MANOS. The MANOS are stacked in large piles called PILONES. Inside the PILONES the temperature reached up to 120-125 degrees. This way, the inner leaves in PILONES generates most of the heat. They move them around to distribute the heat equally. These are all handmade process and the master blenders use his judgments with instinct. Basically, triple fermentation means rotates certain temperature three different times. I saw the process in Nicaragua. A minor miscalculation or lack of judgment can kill the entire process.
    Photobucket
    The wrapper is very dark brown (almost Maduro color) with some veins on it. It has a sweet woody and earthy scent on the foot. The Pre-draw is effortless and perfect. The draw and burn is perfect. It is a medium to full bodied smoke. The flavor profile is a combination of earth, cedar, leather, black peppery, cloves spice, sweet caramel, dark chocolate, creamy espresso with hazelnut aroma at the back. It has medium complexity but the finish is long. It become full bodied at the end but overall a medium to full bodied cigar but not bold.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper - Ecuadorian Ciriollo

Binder – Nicaraguan

Fillers - Dominican and Nicaraguan
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with a blast of black peppery spice with earth, cedar, leathery flavors with caramel sweet at the back. I am also feeling some harshness at the back but within few puffs the harshness go away and become smooth and dense. The top of my tongue can feel the black peppery spice, the middle of my tongue feel the smooth, thick texture with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue has a mild tobacco bitterness. I am retrohaling the smoke but the spiciness is little bit too strong. As a result I stop retrohaling. It is a decent start.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The cigar change dramatically at this stage. The flavor profile is completely different than 1/3. It has the leathery element but the flavor profile is more in to dark chocolate, creamy roasted espresso with distinctive caramel sweetness at the back. There is also an aromatic hazelnut nuttiness and clove kind of spiciness at the back. The sudden change strikes my palate like a thunder. Suddenly it appeared as a different cigar than 1/3 mark. The smoke is completely smooth, lush, creamy, round and mouthful. The aromatic clove spiciness through the nose is very enjoyable. I have started retrohale almost every puff. The complexity at this stage is five stars with long finish. The top of my tongue is enjoying the zing of aromatic clove spiciness; the middle of my tongue is filled with smooth, creamy texture with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue is pretty clean with mild tobacco bitterness. The strength is straight medium. The sweetness is straight caramel with hazelnut aroma at the back. I also have the tingly feeling around my mouth. The smoke is cloudy, lush and rich. I believe the Dominican tobacco in it is Piloto because of the body. The Nicaraguan tobacco is most probably from Condega (flavorful) and Esteli(sweet-spicy). Overall, a wonderful flavor and aroma profile with rich complexity and long finish.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The entire 2/3 flavors and aroma profile is present but with more strength. I am not getting any new flavor at this stage. The cigar loses some points in complexity at this stage. The clove spiciness through the nose is still very enjoyable. The dominant flavor is dark chocolate and roasted espresso with nutty (hazelnut) finish at the back. The finish is still long but without any complexity. It is still a very good smoke but at the same time I would say that the smoke became one dimensional at this stage. I wish it had some complexity of the 2/3 with some new flavors and aroma.

Final thought: I got a full box torpedo almost two years ago as a gift. It mellowed out a lot but still has more aging potential. It is not an extra ordinary smoke but a very good smoke. I don't think I will buy a full box but will not stop myself to buy one or two sticks here and there. However, this cigar will definitely get better with aging. Overall, a very good smoking experience. With MSRP $9 this is a classic smoke and I will smoke it sometime. Except 1/3 mark, this cigar is amazingly smooth, flavorful and tasty. In fact, the only cigar Frank Llaneza put his name on it though he blended many brands in his life. Few online stores offer this cigar. This cigar comes with six shapes but I like the Pyramid shape the best IMPO.
    Photobucket
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    Another great review Rip
    Thanks Jesus, I appreciate your kind words.
    big chunks:
    Another great review Rip
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Wow! Sounds like my kind of smoke. Excellent review as always, Rip!
    Looks like I'll be on the hunt!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Interesting cigar. I've never even heard of this one.
    Thanks Daniel. this is a good smoke. I don't know why there is so little praise about this cigar.
    Toombes:
    Wow! Sounds like my kind of smoke. Excellent review as always, Rip!
    Looks like I'll be on the hunt!
    Hi Daniel, it is a interesting cigar with a nice hazelnut nuttiness at the back. However, the 1/3 performance was poor and that might turned off some smokers. If 1/3 of a cigar performs poorly then It fails to attract majority smokers. This can be a reason why most of us never heard about it.
    danielzreyes:
    Interesting cigar. I've never even heard of this one.

Zino Platinum Crown Series has been around since 2007, but the Emperor was first introduced in 2009. Zino Platinum Crown cigars Series also released a special edition in late 2010 - Emperor Edition, a series already consecrated in 2009 and gained a new interpretation. Incorporating what's most exclusive and luxurious Emperor's Edition cigars combine tobaccos matured so majestic, creating an exceptional experience for the senses. The tobacco filler combines selected Nicaraguan and Dominican leaves, coated with a binder grown in the Dominican Republic, but that has its origins in cross hybrid seeds of Cuban and Dominican tobaccos. This mix offers Latin chords aromatics and flavors unique to the series Emperor Edition cigars. The finish was done with a fancy cover Ecuadorian, who was specially fermented to deliver a rich color, a uniform smoke and the perfect balance between flavor and aroma. The Zino Platinum Emperor Edition is an omnipotent Robusto, exceptional in flavor and overall balance. Masterfully blended fillers from Dominican Republic and Nicaragua are bound by a proprietary hybrid tobacco created from Cuban and Dominican seeds and Dominican grown and finished with a specially fermented Ecuadorian wrapper. It is full-bodied and opulent delivering mouthfuls of rich complex flavor and an intense and inviting aroma.
    Photobucket
    At first glance, the cover has a velvety texture, oily, reddish, with well defined veins of the leaves. Two washers mark cigars Emperor Edition - the traditional silver seal that bears the name of the special edition and refined Zino Platinum badge, and a second ring, dark red and black, with the inscriptions' Crown Series'and 2009 It has a strong caramel, wood, sweet earth scent on the foot. It feels good and heavy in hand. It is a well-constructed cigar without any cosmic glitch. It is extremely complex cigar with perfect balance, flavor and aroma and long finish. The draw is perfect with slight uneven burn. It is a medium to full-bodied cigar. The cold draw has a very nice black coffee, woody, spicy notes. The flavor profile is a combination of wood, sweet musty earth, spicy leather, black pepper, black coffee, cocoa powder, sweet espresso, dark chocolate with a distinctive raisin, nutty aroma and peppery bite at the back. [Source: Davidoff]
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian sun-grown

Binder: Dominican hybrid Corojo/Olor?

Filler: Dominican and Nicaraguan Piloto Ligeros
    Photobucket
    1/3: It start with blasting black peppery spice which practically hurts the throat. Obviously, I am not retrohaling because of the sharp spicy edge- disappointing. However, the flavor profile is thick, creamy and extremely rich with strong black coffee, wood, musty earth, some cocoa powder with spicy leather and nutty notes at the back. It is also giving me a wonderful peppery touch on my lips with creamy and buttery texture in the middle of my tongue. The top of my tongue has a clean and sharp black peppery spicy zing. The back of my tongue has a slight harsh feeling. It is very complex, rich and lush smoking experience. After an inch the harshness is gone and the spiciness settled down. As a result, I am able to retrohale and enjoy the smoke. I know that I was little critical at the beginning. I believe that a $26 cigar should not have that kind of harshness though it mellowed out 80% at this moment. I am also detecting a wonderful caramel, molasses sweetness at the back with each puff and the subtle black peppery spiciness through the nose is enjoyable at this moment. I had to torch up once to make the burn even. The strength is medium. Well, overall a very good start.
    Photobucket
    2/3: Now, the cigar completely mellowed out with creamy, buttery, round, mouthful texture-wow! The flavor profile is more like dark chocolate, sweet espresso, black coffee, cocoa powder, musty earth flavors with clear aromatic cloves, dry raisin, dry wood, nutty (peanut) notes at the back. The smoke is super smooth, creamy, dense and lush. There is a spicy tingly feeling all over my mouth. This is the time when a smoke inspires us to wipe our lips. My lips are coated with a smooth, buttery layer- very yummy feeling. Few cigars can do this. The top of my tongue has a smooth and delicate black peppery zing, the middle of my tongue can feel the creamy-buttery texture with above flavors and aroma, the side of my tongue is enjoying the buttery nuttiness and the back of my tongue has a wonderful aged tobacco sweet-bitterness edge. This is extremely complex with rich, balanced flavors and aroma and long finish. The cigar gets a lot of extra point at this stage. I am definitely enjoying the smoke. I have been retrohaling each puff and enjoying the delicate black peppery and aromatic cloves spiciness through the nose. The draw and burn has been razor sharp at this stage. The cigar doesn't lack anything at this moment rather than performing in excellent manner. The strength is medium to full bodied. This is the reason why people respect Henke Kelner and the Davidoff.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The cigar is very smooth, creamy, round at this stage with toasty and crispiness. The entire flavors and aroma profile is locked in a smooth-buttery shield. It requires some attention to enjoy the layers and layers of flavors and aroma. I am sitting in my backyard with quietness. I am only hearing the noise of the subtle tropical breeze. The sky is full of clouds with little sunlight. It created a quiet meditative ambience around me, not only that but also helping me to concentrate my mind to enjoy the cigar. The flavor profile is heavily dominated with musty earth, sweet woody flavors. The black coffee, sweet espresso, cocoa powder flavors at the back with raisin-prune and nutty notes dominating the aroma profile. The sweetness is very profound with caramel and molasses elements. All the flavors, aroma, notes and elements are locked inside a smooth, buttery shield. My mouth is very busy with the delicate tingly feeling. I keep licking my lips to enjoy the buttery edge. The top of my tongue is frozen with the delicate black peppery spicy zing, the middle of my tongue is enjoying the creamy shield with above flavors and aroma, the side of my tongue has the buttery nuttiness, the back of my tongue has the tobacco bitterness. I am still enjoying the retrohale with a delicate spiciness but more like aromatic cloves spiciness. The strength is full bodied.

Final thought: This cigar is extremely rich, flavorful and complex with long finish. I felt that in each puff. A high-end cigar should perform like this. I know that most probably I will not be able to buy this cigar anymore because they are out of stock except some B&M still have in their aging vault. However, I do not hesitate to say that the 2010 release is more delicate and enjoyable. This cigar needs more rest because the wrapper has a lot of oil. Also the initial harshness bothered me a little. It is not the same blends as 2010. I do not like very oily wrappers because it hampers the burn. Davidoff Puro de Oro Yamasa wrapper has the same issue.

This is a cigar better to smoke after a heavy meal because it is full of nicotine and strength. It not like any as usual medium bodied, flavorful Davidoff cigar. The Emperor Edition cigars are always medium-full bodied which oppose regular Davidoff cigar line. I received five sticks as a gift and will send my tasting notes to the person who works as a senior marketing executive in Davidoff. He thinks I am a very conservative cigar critic and extremely critical. I always tell him that if any cigar maker asks for $15 on a stick then they need to be very careful and better provide the expectation performance. He is also one of those Davidoff employees who oppose stronger cigar along with Henke Kelner. Lately, Davidoff has been releasing more and more full-bodied cigar with fatter ring gauge to full fill the current market trends. Man, I can write a book about Davidoff cigar. I smoke everything from them because I love Henke's blends. It is an expensive cigar and I would say overpriced at the same time. I am looking forward to Davidoff’s response to my review and will share with you. Yes, I have enjoyed the smoke very much but do not support the MSRP. Overall, it is a medium to full bodied smoke with extreme rich flavor profile and complexity. I will smoke it after six months of aging when the oil will be evaporated little more. Davidoff is famous for making almost perfect cigar and they did it again. I cannot wait for the next Emperor line release. Thank you and enjoy the rest of the >weekend!!!

Note: If you are interested about the 2010 release performance please search it in this thread. I reviewed it before smoking the 2009.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Thanks Rip!
    I'm hoping that the Davidoff store in the Venetian Casino at Vegas will have these when I go in December.
    It sounds like one I should at least try once.
    Your welcome Tony. If you can't find one please let me know. You should at least try once.. Life is too short.
    0patience:
    Thanks Rip!
    I'm hoping that the Davidoff store in the Venetian Casino at Vegas will have these when I go in December.
    It sounds like one I should at least try once.

Ezra Zion Cigars is the brainchild of Kyle, Chris, and Don- founders of CigarFederation.Com. Cigar Federation is a Cigar social networking site that brings interviews, reviews, and social networking to the cigar masses. These three guys from California who are cigar maniacs decided to make the best cigars they could. They wanted to take their time blending and not release anything that didn’t classify as the best cigar they ever had. So they blended for 13 months in Nicaragua with some master blenders. Right now they are working with a couple different manufacturers. Same people who make Illusione(Dion), Viaje(Farak), Casa Magna(Manuel Quesada). Their first thought was to make one cigar called Inception.[Source: Izra Zion site and other on-line publications]
    Photobucket
    It is a box pressed double binders cigar with eye catching silver-grey, black color bands. The wrapper is dark brown with some oily sheen; coppery hue and few veins are visible on the surface. It has a triple cap and very well constructed. It feels good in hand but not heavy. The wrapper has dry wood, mild earth, grass and sweet tobacco scent. The cold draw is perfect with aromatic leather note. Overall, the cigar has prefect draw and good burn but not perfect. It is a very rich, complex, well-balanced cigar with medium-long finish. The flavor profile is a combination of earth, sweet-spicy leather, black pepper, cocoa, strong coffee, creamy cappuccino, aromatic cinnamon, cloves with caramel sweetness, toasted nut, mild fruit, prune kind of notes at the back. It is straight a medium to full bodied cigar.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: 1999 Cuban Seed, 2007 Crop, Corojo

Binders:1999 Cuban Seed, 2007 Crop, Corojo &1998 Cuban Seed, 2006 Crop, Criollo

Filler: 1999 Cuban Seed, 2007 Crop, Medio Tiempo, Viso, and Ligero
    Photobucket
    1/3: It opens up with a blast of black peppery spiciness and hit the nose right away- clear sign of Nicaraguan Esteli ligero tobacco. I am unable to retrohale because of the powerful spice. It has a sweet-spicy leather, dry wood, cocoa, creamy cappuccino with aromatic cinnamon aroma and caramel sweetness at the back. There is also a circle of black peppery spicy shield around the flavors and aroma. Interestingly within few puffs the blasting spiciness settle down with more subtleness. Now, I am able to retrohale and enjoy the creamy and round smoke with black peppery spiciness through the nose. It is straight medium bodied with medium finish. The top of my tongue can feel the black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue can feel the creamy and round texture with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue can feel very mild tobacco bitterness. It has an uneven burn and I had to use the lighter to even up the burn twice at this stage but it didn't hamper the taste of the cigar. This is cigar need some rest. Overall, a great start with good complexity, balance and finish.

2/3: As I smoke through this stage, there is a very pleasant aromatic spicy (clove/cinnamon)-fruity (prune) sweetness (caramel/molasses). The full 1/3 flavor and aroma profile continues with more distinctive coffee flavor and toasted nuttiness at the back. Now the cigar is very complex, balanced with long finish. The cigar gets couple extra points at this stage. I am surprised with the quality of this cigar now. There is no sign of over spicy or harshness at all. It is completely an excellent cigar with medium to full body. At the middle of 2/3 the sweet-creamy cappuccino flavor with strong coffee flavor is simply amazing. The top of my tongue has a subtle black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue is full of creamy, buttery, round and mouth texture with above flavors and aroma, the side of my tongue has a nice nuttiness (peanut), the back of my tongue has aged tobacco sweetness without any harsh or bitterness-wow! I love this smoke. The strength is picking up to full-bodied and I am glad to have a full rib eye steak dinner. I can feel the slight nicotine kick. The wonderful sweet-aromatic aroma and note also reminds me of Nicaraguan Condega and Jalapa tobaccos. The buttery, sweet, smoothness are a clear sign of aged tobaccos. There is no burn issue at this stage. It is very rich, flavorful and extremely complex with long finish. This cigar gets 9.5 out of 10 at this stage- very impressive performance!!!
    Photobucket
    Final/3: While approaching to the final third, the cigar is still the continuation of 1/3 and 2/3 flavor and aroma profile but the roasted nuttiness and aromatic sweet-spiciness is at the front with sweet earthiness. I am not detecting any new flavors or aroma except more distinctive molasses sweetness with toasty and crisp bites around it. The cigar looses a point here in complexity but it does not undermine its unique Nicaraguan flavor and aroma profile. The top of my tongue has a subtle and softer black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue is completely covered with smooth, buttery, round and mouthful texture with 1/3 & 2/3 flavors and aroma but again not as complex as 2/3 stage. The back of my tongue can feel slight tobacco bitterness. The delicate spiciness through the nose is very pleasant though it losses some complexity at this stage. I is also picking up more strength but still a full-bodied cigar but not bold. Overall, still a very good smoke.

Final thought: I don't know why this cigar is reminding me a lot of Viaje Oro Reserva no. 5 rather than a top Padron 45th but it does have a lot of elements of a top line Padron cigar. However, I will hesitate to say it is a better than top line Padron 1926 or Family Reserve but warn Padron that they might have a potential competitor knocking on the door. If the blender can add a twist with some new elements at the final/3 then it will catch up with top line Padron. This cigar clearly has the aging potential and I am interested to buy a full box. Overall, it is extremely rich, balanced and complex smoke. I would like to thank my friend Dustin for sending me the cigar. With $20 price tag this cigar definitely challenge a top line Padron that can be from $25-35. I am very excited to see another great cigar came out of Nicaragua. In fact, I enjoyed the 2/3 stages so much that I even forgot to take a picture LOL. All cigar smokers should at least smoke it once, specially the people who love Nicaraguan cigar and its unique flavor and aroma.