Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    dammmit!!! frigga fraggin....... 0/3 EPIC FAIL :D Tat, i am waitin on your review!
    Heading up to northern michigan for a vaca - I'll hopefully be able to get to cigar A tuesday afternoon!
    Awesome!!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    dammmit!!! frigga fraggin....... 0/3 EPIC FAIL :D Tat, i am waitin on your review!
    Heading up to northern michigan for a vaca - I'll hopefully be able to get to cigar A tuesday afternoon!
    Awesome!!
    No, Alex. YOU are awesome! I still cannot believe the epic bomb you sent me along with these mystery sticks.
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    Awesome!!
    No, Alex. YOU are awesome! I still cannot believe the epic bomb you sent me along with these mystery sticks.
    I told you that you're last bomb wouldn't go unanswered :D you deserve em brother!!
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    Awesome!!
    I told you that you're last bomb wouldn't go unanswered :D you deserve em brother!!
    heh, I suppose I did send you a couple nice ones in there. :) You ever get to that 1964 maduro?
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    Awesome!!
    heh, I suppose I did send you a couple nice ones in there. :) You ever get to that 1964 maduro?
    Not yet. I plan on smoking it in the next couple of weeks!! Can't wait at all!
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    Awesome!!
    And btw, that means I won :)
    Alex Williams:
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    Awesome!!
    And btw, that means I won :)
    Oh you think so? That is a bold statement, my friend!
    Cigar A:

So I enjoyed this one last night on the parents deck overlooking Lake Michigan. Fabulous setting for it.

Size: looks like a robusto appr. 5x50. Wrapper is neither dark nor light, so I would guess a Habano of some sort. Nice looking construction - triple cap and nicely rolled.

This one didn't change much, so I'll forgo the typical "thirds" sections. The flavors were leather, earth and cedar. Very little spice out the nose, but it wasn't "smooth" through the nose if that makes any sense. At some point, there was some other type of woody flavor, maybe hickory that came into play. It was enjoyable from start to finish, though of course, I'm always looking for a couple flavor changes or something of the sort.

Construction and burn were solid - a few corrections here and there but nothing serious.

Country of origin - I'd have to guess Nicaraguan for this guy.
    Brand: it had a Don Pepin core to it.
    My official guess is either a My Father or a DPG Series JJ.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 474
    I don't know if this is a faux pas or not, but from the description it reminds me of a CAO Black...
    TatuajeVI:
    Cigar A:

So I enjoyed this one last night on the parents deck overlooking Lake Michigan. Fabulous setting for it.

Size: looks like a robusto appr. 5x50. Wrapper is neither dark nor light, so I would guess a Habano of some sort. Nice looking construction - triple cap and nicely rolled.

This one didn't change much, so I'll forgo the typical "thirds" sections. The flavors were leather, earth and cedar. Very little spice out the nose, but it wasn't "smooth" through the nose if that makes any sense. At some point, there was some other type of woody flavor, maybe hickory that came into play. It was enjoyable from start to finish, though of course, I'm always looking for a couple flavor changes or something of the sort.

Construction and burn were solid - a few corrections here and there but nothing serious.

It was a corojo wrapper actually. Honduran country of origin. It was a Gran Habano Vintage 2002. Very good value and VERY good with an ice cold yoohoo
    Wow, I was not anywhere even close, rofl.

I couldn't get to stick B tonight - thunderstorms rolled in after dinner. Boo!
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Cigar A:

It was a corojo wrapper actually. Honduran country of origin. It was a Gran Habano Vintage 2002. Very good value and VERY good with an ice cold yoohoo
    Yoohoo? I didn't know that stuff was still around! Might have to revisit that sweet tasty concoction of sugary goodness.
    Jdorais:
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Cigar A:

Yoohoo? I didn't know that stuff was still around! Might have to revisit that sweet tasty concoction of sugary goodness.
    Oh ya!! It is sooo good. You just have to make sure to shake it.
    Cigar B:

Approximately a robusto size, nice lookin construction. Had a "spongey" feel to it, meaning it wasn't packed tightly, but not in a bad way. Wrapper was again a "natural" wrapper, maybe a habano or cameroon or something of the like. Definitely not a conny, and it was a thinner wrapper. It was "toothy" for sure! I haven't smoked a "toothy" cigar in a while. More on this later.

Right off the bat, I knew I was going to like this one. Smooth and creamy! Out the nose it was wonderful - very little spice at all, and just a really enjoyable cigar in general.

Flavors were a creamy sweetness - almost like marshmellow kinda. Gram cracker for sure. And a really light cedar, but very light. It had a "freshness" to it, a crisp and clean taste. Um... kind of the way I describe the "freshness" to the 262 Paradigm, but the flavors were nothing like the 262 obviously.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. Burn was great, I never had to even touch it up. It was consistent, but not boring.

Funny thing about the "toothy" wrapper: I smoked this at night so watching the wrapper burn was awesome. The burn would sparkle a bit every time one of the "teeth" got hit by the burn line. Coolest thing ever.

I am so completely at a loss for where this one came from or who makes it. Throwing it out there: something by Gurkha? Only reason I would guess that is because the cigar wasn't rolled very tightly, and many Gurkhas tend to be on the looser side.
    TatuajeVI:
    Cigar B:

Approximately a robusto size, nice lookin construction. Had a "spongey" feel to it, meaning it wasn't packed tightly, but not in a bad way. Wrapper was again a "natural" wrapper, maybe a habano or cameroon or something of the like. Definitely not a conny, and it was a thinner wrapper. It was "toothy" for sure! I haven't smoked a "toothy" cigar in a while. More on this later.

Right off the bat, I knew I was going to like this one. Smooth and creamy! Out the nose it was wonderful - very little spice at all, and just a really enjoyable cigar in general.

Flavors were a creamy sweetness - almost like marshmellow kinda. Gram cracker for sure. And a really light cedar, but very light. It had a "freshness" to it, a crisp and clean taste. Um... kind of the way I describe the "freshness" to the 262 Paradigm, but the flavors were nothing like the 262 obviously.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. Burn was great, I never had to even touch it up. It was consistent, but not boring.

Funny thing about the "toothy" wrapper: I smoked this at night so watching the wrapper burn was awesome. The burn would sparkle a bit every time one of the "teeth" got hit by the burn line. Coolest thing ever.

I am so completely at a loss for where this one came from or who makes it. Throwing it out there: something by Gurkha? Only reason I would guess that is because the cigar wasn't rolled very tightly, and many Gurkhas tend to be on the looser side.
    I have a feeling you might kick yourself for this one. It was actually a 5 Vegas Classic!! I completely agree about the crispness like the paradigm almost like iceburg lettuce. I really like the torp of this cigar but the robusto is a great quick cigar that tastes good and I don't feel bad if I have to ditch it. Great stick. Really interested to see what you think of C
    Wow, 5 Vegas Classic? lol. I would have never guessed - even though I've had a ton of them.

I'll see if I can get to C tonight - if not tonight, definitely tomorrow.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 474
    Bumpity bumpity - Smokem some seegars!
    Sorry man. Got crazy this weekend. Getting to cigar C in the next 24 hours.
    Got to Cigar C:

Construction: well made, dark chocolate wrapper. A bit bigger than a robusto. Maybe 5.5x54? Somewhere around there. Thick, but not a really "hefty" cigar. Nicely packed, but not too tight.Smelled nice, cut and toasted nicely with an a perfect draw. Burned well, a few touch ups here and there like normal.

First impressions: Nice earthy flavors. Not too heavy, but certainly not a light cigar. A hint of either dark chocolate or something in that area - not a sweet flavor but just a hint of it. Sooth out the nose with a bit of spice. Just a tiny hint of harshness occasionally through the nose, but nothing at the back of the throat. Enjoying this one very much.

30 minutes in I'm picking up another flavor. Can't put my finger on it, though. Almost like honey - but very light. It adds just a tiny sweetness, but the cigar maintains it's very earthy core.

45 minutes in the flavor is still similar, but it has picked up in body and richness. Really enjoying this, and I think I've had this one before.

There was a point at about the hour mark where the richness died a bit, and it lost some of the flavors, but it actually picked back up and I enjoyed the last 15 minutes of it even more than the first 45. Total burn time was about 1:30.

So I have several guesses (lol). At times this really reminded me of the LFD Double Ligero Maduro, but it didn't have the typical maduro sweetness I get from that one. But the core of it really reminded me of the LFD. I also wrote down DE Liga Privada T52 at one point. But my real guess is one I had a few weeks ago and this mystery cigar really reminded me of it:

Joya de Nicaragua Dark Corojo.
    great review. Stick C was a 5 Vegas AAA. GREAT cigar and if i didnt have a box, i would have bought a lot on the DD.
    Alex Williams:
    great review. Stick C was a 5 Vegas AAA. GREAT cigar and if i didnt have a box, i would have bought a lot on the DD.
    Nice! Glad I liked this one. The first one I had was a bit boring as I remember. Nice grouping of cigars, I enjoyed all three!

Who's going to be my mystery mooch?

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    Nice! Glad I liked this one. The first one I had was a bit boring as I remember. Nice grouping of cigars, I enjoyed all three!

I'm down. You can get me back for that "Original Cubans" I threw in last time.
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:

rofl. stick a: backwoods. b: white owl. c: black & mild
    TatuajeVI:
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:

rofl. stick a: backwoods. b: white owl. c: black & mild
    Stick A was beautifully constructed and was finished with a plastic tip......

.......what?
    Sorry for the delay, Tony. Package went out today, Priority Mail. I have a tracking # somewhere... There is definitely no stick in there worth more than 35 cents.
    Get there yet, Tony? I wouldn't want those pineapple white owls to dry out!
    TatuajeVI:
    Hey, Phil. Sorry for the delay. I was out of town since last Wednesday and didn't get back until today. Thankfully the weather has been mild here so the White Owls and Black n Milds look great. I will let them sit for a day or so and then I'll review Stick A.
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    Hey, Phil. Sorry for the delay. I was out of town since last Wednesday and didn't get back until today. Thankfully the weather has been mild here so the White Owls and Black n Milds look great. I will let them sit for a day or so and then I'll review Stick A.
    Well, for the Black n Milds, I'd give them at least a couple days. They are pretty high end!
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    I do hope you really didn't send him a pineapple White Owl... altho that does sound better than some ACID's I have tried...
    Alright, I smoked Stick A last night and here is a quick and dirty review:

The stick was approximately 6x50 in size (toro) and was wrapped in a dark chocolate wrapper. The wrapper was a bit mottled and gave off a faint smell of barnyard. I am guessing maduro wrapper at this point. A whiff of the foot gave off very little aroma, though I did catch something that smelled like black licorice.

The cigar was firmly packed throughout with no soft spots and was finished with a double cap. The cap cut easily and the medium-firm draw gave off flavors of musty earth.

The cigar started off with a bit of sweetness and earthy/leathery flavors. After about an inch, the sweetness disappears and the earthy/leathery flavors dominate. At about 1.25", the ash fell and the burn continued to be straight.

There was no change in the cigar as the earthy/leathery flavors continued to dominate with the mustiness sort of hanging around. At around the halfway point, a bit of bitterness developed. It wasn't a harsh bitterness that ruins a cigar, but more of a subtle bitterness, kind of like really dark coffee.

I got kind of bored with it by the end of the second third so I stopped the smoke. In my opinion it was an ok smoke, but I don't see myself buying a lot of them. My guess is that it was a Graycliff 1666.

Thanks for the smoke, Phil. Stick B will be smoked in the next couple of days.