Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Nice review, and solid choice for a guess. You were smoking a 5 Vegas Series A. Had about a year in the humidor, so I'm glad you didn't get any harshness with that one. Sorry it was a bit boring.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    TatuajeVI:
    Nice review, and solid choice for a guess. You were smoking a 5 Vegas Series A. Had about a year in the humidor, so I'm glad you didn't get any harshness with that one. Sorry it was a bit boring.
    That's funny, because that was the other guess that was in my head, but the wrapper looked so much like a 1666 that it convinced me. Boring or not, it was a good smoke nonetheless so thanks again.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    So this is basically the only pass going on here that I am not a part of... how can I get into the Mystery Stick loop... I'm sure I'll provide some laughs with my lack of cigar savvy...
    robbyras:
    So this is basically the only pass going on here that I am not a part of... how can I get into the Mystery Stick loop... I'm sure I'll provide some laughs with my lack of cigar savvy...
    Want to try it after I'm done? PM me your info and I'll get the sticks out.
    i'm in... PM coming
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    That's funny, because that was the other guess that was in my head, but the wrapper looked so much like a 1666 that it convinced me. Boring or not, it was a good smoke nonetheless so thanks again.
    It's a solid maduro - much more consistent (in my humble opinion) than the 1666. Excited to see what you think of Stick B. It's not anywhere near as expensive or high-class as the "Original Cuban."
    TatuajeVI:
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    It's a solid maduro - much more consistent (in my humble opinion) than the 1666. Excited to see what you think of Stick B. It's not anywhere near as expensive or high-class as the "Original Cuban."
    For sure. I think the 1666 is the Daewoo of cigars. As for Stick B...it doesn't get classier than an "Original Cuban." FYI, I donated the rest of those sticks to the troops.
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    For sure. I think the 1666 is the Daewoo of cigars. As for Stick B...it doesn't get classier than an "Original Cuban." FYI, I donated the rest of those sticks to the troops.
    Those poor, poor soldiers!
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Alright, I managed to burn Stick B over the weekend.

Stick B was wrapped in a smooth tan wrapper that showed little veins. It looked like a toro with approximate dimensions of 6.5x54. The stick felt solidly constructed, with a firm/spongy feel and no soft spots. The stick ended in a neat double-cap.

The aroma off the wrapper was a pleasant cedar and the aroma off the foot was tobacco with enough spice to make my nose tingle. A lick of the cap revealed a spiciness. At this point I'm guessing it's some sort of a Habano wrapper.

The cigar cut easily and neatly and the loose draw gave me tobacco flavors. Lighting it up, the cigar opened up with a woodiness and was complemented by a slight sweetness in the background. This continued until past the halfway point, when a more leathery character appears on the draw and remains in the finish. I was surprised that the spiciness I had tasted on the cap did not translate into the smoke.

Construction was good, with straight burns and a 1.50" ash before falling on me. The stick did not burn hot as I approached the end. It did, however, develop a bit of bitterness.

Overall, I enjoyed the smoke and it paired quite well with the warm and sunny afternoon in the Northwest. My guess for Stick B is the Padilla Achilles. As before, thanks to Tat for hooking me up with the smoke.
    You're right on the Habano wrapper! That one was the A Fernandez signature. It's had close to a year in the humidor - good smoke!
    TatuajeVI:
    You're right on the Habano wrapper! That one was the A Fernandez signature. It's had close to a year in the humidor - good smoke!
    Rats, at least I got the wrapper right. And you are correct, it was a good smoke. I have two of the A. Fernandez Sumatra Hybrids chilling in my humi right now. Going to have to revisit to see how it compares to the Habano.
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    Rats, at least I got the wrapper right. And you are correct, it was a good smoke. I have two of the A. Fernandez Sumatra Hybrids chilling in my humi right now. Going to have to revisit to see how it compares to the Habano.
    Sumatra Hybrid? never heard of it. I wish I would have bought some of the maduros when they were available - I hear they are pretty awesome.
    TatuajeVI:
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    Sumatra Hybrid? never heard of it. I wish I would have bought some of the maduros when they were available - I hear they are pretty awesome.
    Yea, Tim hooked me up with a few. The wrapper is a Habano/Sumatra hybrid. It didn't taste too good OTT but they've had a couple of months rest now so I shall revisit them soon. I am also bummed I missed out on the maduros. Hopefully they make some more soon.
    Alright, I smoked Stick C last night after a nice session of grilling. Unfortunately, I did not take notes while smoking this stick so my review may be a bit lacking.

The cigar had an oily colorado wrapper that had a rich spicy aroma and showed little veins. Eyeing it, the stick was a toro, with approximate dimensions of 6x52. Feeling the stick, it had a spongy texture throughout, but no soft spots. A nice double cap finished off the construction.

The pre-light draw was fairly loose and I tasted spice and a bit of fruitiness. Lighting it up, the cigar opened up with a wave of spice that warmed my palate, which faded to flavors of leather. Right away I knew this was going to build up to a full-bodied smoke.

The spice and leather flavors continued to present itself as I smoked and a slight sweetness showed up. After the second half, I got flavors of unsweetened cocoa, which kind of offset the sweetness and was a welcomed change. The cigar built in strength towards the end and I was quietly thanking myself for eating dinner beforehand. Even so, I felt slightly woozy afterwards.

Construction had some problems and I experienced some burn problems. The wrapper went out several times (probably due to the oiliness) and I had to constantly relight the cigar.

Construction problems aside, this was an enjoyable smoke that probably could of used some dryboxing. My first impression was that it might be a Man O War but I recall that MOWs were not that loosely packed. So for my guess I'm going to go with a Cu-Avana Intenso.

Thanks to Tat for a great run of Mystery Sticks (and of course the extras). This is possibly my favorite game on the forums.
    Great review - I also had a few burn problems with the one I've smoked of these, they are quite fresh off the truck, but I had to share one with you. This was the Joya de Nicaragua Dark Corojo. I think with a bit more rest these are going to be really fabulous.
    TatuajeVI:
    Great review - I also had a few burn problems with the one I've smoked of these, they are quite fresh off the truck, but I had to share one with you. This was the Joya de Nicaragua Dark Corojo. I think with a bit more rest these are going to be really fabulous.
    Thanks. Wow, I never would have guessed JdN Dark Corojo, probably because that was my first one! I actually went to the B&M and picked up their short robusto, but haven't smoke it yet. Like you, I think I'm going to give it some rest before I light it up. Thanks again for sharing.
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    Thanks. Wow, I never would have guessed JdN Dark Corojo, probably because that was my first one! I actually went to the B&M and picked up their short robusto, but haven't smoke it yet. Like you, I think I'm going to give it some rest before I light it up. Thanks again for sharing.
    Your very welcome, Tony. I love this game.
    I think I'm up now... sightunseen sent me three sticks to review and guess... this is my first time and there is NO WAY my reviews will be as insightful as his, but I will give it a shot... I'll review Stick A later today
    ok... lets give this a shot!

I smoked Stick A on Tuesday. It was Torpedo in the 6x52/54 range. The wrapper appeared to be a Connecticut and was really smooth. No veins or blemishes that I could see.

I clipped it and fired it up. It burned slow and clean. I had a few burn issues with it and had to relight a few times and the draw was pretty tight. But the smoke itself was pretty nice. It was very mild with slightly creamy smoke. The initial ash held for about an inch or so.

The flavors were very mild to start. A little leather and woody/cedarflavors hit me first. They hung on for the first inch or so and then it got slightly more complex. The smoke seemed to get thicker and the flavors stronger, but never got overpowering. I got much more of a nutty flavor from this point on.

As I was smoking it, I was thinking about 3 possibilities: 1. So Cubano Connecticut 2. 5 Vegas Gold and 3. RP Connecticut...

Oddly enough I had just done a little taste test for myself last week, comparing the 5V Gold and the RP Connie. So I was in a Connie mindset I guess.

So I enjoyed this stick too much for it to be the Sol Cubano. I've had 3 of them and I didn't like them at all. The flavors seemed too light to be the RP Connie as I remembered it have slightly more flavor than the 5V. Not better flavor, but more pronounced flavors.

So, after all the rambling, I am going to guess that Stick A was a 5 Vegas Gold Torpedo.
    Great review, Rob and congrats on 666 posts. I'm glad you enjoyed the stick, which was a Verdadero Organic. Looking forward to the next guess.
    HA! that never ever crossed my mind... i've had a few of those and remember enjoying them... never had the torp though...dammit
    robbyras:
    HA! that never ever crossed my mind... i've had a few of those and remember enjoying them... never had the torp though...dammit
    All the reason to smoke more. It's an education, really. And ignorance is not bliss, at least not when it comes to cigars.
    too true... I'll post my sing and miss on Stick B tomorrow or Saturday
    sightunseen:
    Great review, Rob and congrats on 666 posts. I'm glad you enjoyed the stick, which was a Verdadero Organic. Looking forward to the next guess.
    Reading his review, I was going to guess Verdadero. Haven't smoked one of those in a long time. Good stick!
    TatuajeVI:
    sightunseen:
    Reading his review, I was going to guess Verdadero. Haven't smoked one of those in a long time. Good stick!
    Yea, I think if the raisin flavors were there he would've guess Verdadero.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    robbyras:
    Didnt you send me two of the VO torps if I recall? I still have em sittin in my humi.
    I think so... I've had a handful of them in the past, but I was so convinced... I had 5V Gold tunnel vision...
    Stick B is just about to get smoked... so the review will be up later today...
    I smoked Stick B this afternoon... It was a Robusto, about 5x50 with a clean, dark wrapper with almost no veins... pre-smoke I decided it was a Habano... It didn't have the depth in color of a Maduro or Sumatra...

I'll start off by saying wow... I really enjoyed this stick...

The first half inch was pretty boring... mild flavors and mild tobacco... But from the half inch point it really got moving... the pepper was the first to kick in... it felt like I was smoking a completely different stick... the smoke got a little thicker and the flavors really got going...

The burn was perfect with no flameouts even though I ignored it a little... I had a few phone calls to deal with but she waited patiently...

as the flavors got going, the first stick I thought of was CAO Italia... I know this is not the stick, but the flavor pattern is similar to me... the flavors really linger, in a good way... lots of wood, nut and leather flavors... i may be nuts but I even got a little chocolate and coffee flavor too... kinda crazy, but when I don't know what I'm smoking, I pay much more attention to the subtleties... or I make a bunch of crap up in my head, I'm not sure which is true...

So as we went on, the pepper became more pronounced and the tobacco got stronger... I could feel it... maybe it was a little early in the day and I had a slightly empty stomach, but this stick has come kick...

Based on appearance, I thought Padilla Habano, maybe 5 vegas Miami... but here is my guess... I'm gonna say its AJ Fernandez Signature Series Robusto... I haven't had one in a while, but I love them and to be honest, I loved this stick... The flavor patterns are the same as far as I can tell... so yeah, that's my guess... Either way, this was a grand smoke and I'll be getting some of these for sure, if I don't already have any
    I take it back... I am changing my guess... Stick B is a Padilla Miami... that extra kick was not present in the AJ Sig... it's gotta be the Padilla Miami...