Home Cigar 101

Biggest Letdown

RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
What's the one cigar that stands out, that you had high hopes for and it spit on you? Mine is a Padron 26. I had a 64 that was the best cigar I've ever had, and so I expected the world of the 26. It left me crying alone in the bathroom..

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Lol...too many to list man. Emilio, Headlel Grange, anejo, four kicks, tatauje, la palina, viaje. All of these I was stoked to try and don't like any of them really. I like cabaiguan from tatauje, but that's it. Now I dot even smoke them if I get them and just pay it forward.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Not many but the one that stands out was the Tatuaje Fausto. I was so excited and so disappointed when I first tried it. Although with that said that was in Toro. The new Fausto release the FT114 is everything I was hoping I'd get in it the first time and more. Sometimes it's just a vitola thing for your personal tastes
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Rain:
    ... crying alone in the bathroom..
    Rain. Dude. TMI.

MOW Side Project 52C. Had a magnificent meaty MOW before this one, so was looking forward to it. Alas, the dog that shat that terd ate too much asphalt. Pepper stewed in tar.

• ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Gurka Centurian. I was so looking forward to that cigar about a year ago and it let me down hard. Couldn't get the perfecto to burn worth a $h!t. Stopped buying gurka's (besides PA44's, which I buy boxes of on the regular) after that.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    Tons of stuff I had high hopes for and disappointed me. I think I have a very narrow range of "likes," which is limited to very strong, very spicy cigars, as opposed to the more 'creamy' and 'mild kinds. So, cigars some people think are fantastic I just can't get into, such as:
    Guhka Widowmaker: I sure as heck didn't spent more than $3 on this "$100 cigar" but it was, at best run of the mill.
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002: Bought 20 of these on a whim. Quite mediocre. Trying to get rid of 'em.
    Cohiba Red Dot: Tasted like charcoal and burnt newspaper to me. Although I admit I really like the Cohiba XV.
    Cain Daytona: Same reason as the Cohiba.
    Pinolero: I had really high hopes for this. It was pleasant, but not particularly flavorful.
    Ave Maria: Another high hopeser that turned out to be run of the mill.
    My Father Flor de la Antilles: This first MF I didn't love to death. This one is milder, less flavorful, and more 'papery' than the regular MFs. Go figure.
    Ramon Bueso: This isn't a bad cigar; it's much better than average, but for me it didn't deserve the huge amount of hype it's received.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    ^^i too was very let down by the ave maria, i had such high hopes for it! i have a couple more im gonna let sit for awhile and revisit! but i LOVED the flor de las antilles
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    MOW PA maddy, AF curlyhead
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    I see this as "different strokes for different folks" I love the Centuriion, smoked 3 Faustos the night Skyrim was released (n yes I pulled an all nighter playing a videeyah game) my disapointer has been Viaje, I've tried several blends but have yet to see what all the hype is about, I try to curb the ermigerd a new Gurkha blend is out kinda thing nowadays n just smoke what few I like, tho I miss the Micro Batch TBP-17something
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Zoidian... All that hype and it wasn't what it was cracked up to be.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    I haven't smoked many new 2012 blends but Black Crown was a little blah to me, expected it to be a better budget smoke and a new go-to in the rotation
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    PM to you, reggie713.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    Room 101 OSOK... only because I know some day Ill be out and wont be able to replace them.
    Ok ummmmm T52... I expected it to be like big ol DDs all up in my face and it turned out to Bs at best.
    bigfnsteve:
    Room 101 OSOK... only because I know some day Ill be out and wont be able to replace them.
    Ok ummmmm T52... I expected it to be like big ol DDs all up in my face and it turned out to Bs at best.
    Have you had the LP9 Steve?
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    bigfnsteve:
    Yep like 2-3 a week. Love those things. Now those are Double D goodness. Outside of the t52 Im a LP junky.
    bigfnsteve:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    bigfnsteve:
    Yep like 2-3 a week. Love those things. Now those are Double D goodness. Outside of the t52 Im a LP junky.
    Ohh damn!...that's a good habit to have! I am a T52 guy, seems people either really like 1 or the other...I personally don't like the LP9, crazy how different they are but still people always like one of them.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    My first anejo was probably my biggest letdown cigar ever. But I persisted, and my second, which I had held onto for 2 years, was sublime.
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    bigfnsteve:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    bigfnsteve:
    Ohh damn!...that's a good habit to have! I am a T52 guy, seems people either really like 1 or the other...I personally don't like the LP9, crazy how different they are but still people always like one of them.
    Ill probably revisit the t52 soon. I didnt care for the no9 when I first had one either. But as my pallet grows I like to revisit sticks and see if I can taste the hype so to speak.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Biggest disappointment for me was the Casa Magna Colorado. Being CA's number 1 a couple years ago, I expected a decent cigar. It was horrible.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    SleevePlz:
    Biggest disappointment for me was the Casa Magna Colorado. Being CA's number 1 a couple years ago, I expected a decent cigar. It was horrible.
    That surprises me. While I may have the refined palate of a McDonald's eater, I enjoy the Casa Magna. Bum stick, maybe?
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    jthanatos:
    SleevePlz:
    That surprises me. While I may have the refined palate of a McDonald's eater, I enjoy the Casa Magna. Bum stick, maybe?
    I hope so. I plan to give it a second chance, but the first one got tossed half way through.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    My biggest let down has been any ISOM that I have tried. Admittedly I've only had 5 but I always expected more out of them.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Alec Bradly Fine and Rare & Casa Fuente Cameroon
    bigfnsteve:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    bigfnsteve:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    bigfnsteve:
    Ill probably revisit the t52 soon. I didnt care for the no9 when I first had one either. But as my pallet grows I like to revisit sticks and see if I can taste the hype so to speak.
    I couldn't agree more, very well said!
    Rhamlin:
    My biggest let down has been any ISOM that I have tried. Admittedly I've only had 5 but I always expected more out of them.
    Which ones did you have? Are you 100% sure they were authentic?
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 503
    rzaman:
    Alec Bradly Fine and Rare & Casa Fuente Cameroon
    Mine was also the AB Fine and rare (both releases), I had much more fun trying to find them than I did smoking them. Sometimes I find I enjoy the hunt for the rare or hard to find cigars more than burning them. I would not consider myself a collector for the most part, but I like to try to find and at least sample as much of the limited edition stuff I can. For me chasing the limited releases is a bit risky, either I hunt and spend too much only to be disappointed or I find one I really like and then can't get any more of them.....
  • ctschirgictschirgi Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 63
    Ave Maria and the MOW serries. A.J. puts together some really good cigars, but I never could get into these. Sure wanted to like them though....
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    Camacho Havana Petite

(to be fair, it was smoked rott...........will smoke another in 6 months)

• jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    love the ffp. but the n9 was not what i was hoping it would be
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Toombes:
    Zoidian... All that hype and it wasn't what it was cracked up to be.
    What nobody caught this?! Lol but yeah I'd have to say this year has a lot of let downs so here's my top ones... Af anejo rott I've only smoked them with 1+years on them and rott was well sh!t. The AB tempus...if I wanted a bland stick with little depth I'd go rp. And last but not least af best seller between the lines...for the money I can think of much better sticks out there!! In fact I'd take the normal or maduro version any day over it