Home Cigar 101

Biggest Letdown

13»

Comments

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Bobbo2009:
    For me it would have to be a AF Hemingway Short Story. I had a Hemingway of a different size a couple of years ago at a B&M that I sat down at. I really like smaller ring or gauge sticks and I loved reading about the short story. All of the great reviews it got. I just had to try one. I finally got one from one of the great BOTL's here and lite it up a month or so ago. Boy was I bummed. I lost my notes on it but it was nowhere as good as I thought it would be. Actually it wasn't good at all. I might go out and get another one one of these days, but I got plenty to keep me busy from my secret santa (thanks kuzi) for now.

If you can get your hands on one, try the Maduro. Thats one of my favorite little cigars. Like all Fuente, they're better with age.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    KCW:
    Bobbo2009:
    For me it would have to be a AF Hemingway Short Story. I had a Hemingway of a different size a couple of years ago at a B&M that I sat down at. I really like smaller ring or gauge sticks and I loved reading about the short story. All of the great reviews it got. I just had to try one. I finally got one from one of the great BOTL's here and lite it up a month or so ago. Boy was I bummed. I lost my notes on it but it was nowhere as good as I thought it would be. Actually it wasn't good at all. I might go out and get another one one of these days, but I got plenty to keep me busy from my secret santa (thanks kuzi) for now.

If you can get your hands on one, try the Maduro. Thats one of my favorite little cigars. Like all Fuente, they're better with age.
    I agree completely and so far everything that I've ever smoked I can truthfully say it will be better with age!!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    KCW:
    Cuban Cigars. I really don't know what I expected but, when I had my first real cuban I was "Let Down". Not that it was bad or anything. I think I just expected it to blow me away. I guess I expected it to be the best cigar I ever had (the forbidden fruit thing). It wasn't.
    What did you have? Do you know the date? I'm curious because Cubans have a special place in my heart.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    bigharpoon:
    KCW:
    Cuban Cigars. I really don't know what I expected but, when I had my first real cuban I was "Let Down". Not that it was bad or anything. I think I just expected it to blow me away. I guess I expected it to be the best cigar I ever had (the forbidden fruit thing). It wasn't.
    What did you have? Do you know the date? I'm curious because Cubans have a special place in my heart.

I can understand that. I was let down on my first CC, it was a 4 year old boli whatever the robusto is, royal corona or something. Its definitely the forbidden fruit syndrome. You think it will blow you away in amazement. But stick around and try more and get some well aged ones. Its definitely is own experience, and that's what different cigars is all about, enjoying different taste profiles and different experiences.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    KCW:
    Bobbo2009:

There are so many but for sure the AF Hemingway was right up there for the biggest letdown. I've had one other one sitting for about 2 years now, can't convince myself to light it up. I do agree with KCW too. I did get a 5pk of "work of art" maduros and really enjoyed them
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    bigharpoon:
    KCW:
    I'm not sure of the date. But I had a Cohiba Esplendido, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2 and Petit Robusto & a Partagas (#4 I beleive). It is worth mentioning I have 9 "Vintage" Cubans that I still have yet to smoke (Oldest I beleive is from 1998).
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I think most of the Room 101's are letdowns. The only exception is the San Andreas. The Alec Bradley Black Market was a letdown to me as well.
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I would also like to add...and believe or not...the Opus X...I've had a few of these and I'm not impressed one bit. They are ok don't get me wrong. But I don't see why they are so sought after. They aren't even worth half the price they charge for them. I'd rather be handed an El Baton than an Opus X.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    never walk into a cigar expecting things.

the biggest letdown for me has been Padron 1926. there is so much hype, and so many people that swear by them and then once lit up there wasnt anything special about the initial flavor and the aftertaste was longer and spicier and not as well refined as i had hoped. a cigar with such a reputation should be at least a good version of not my taste. i have smoked plenty of cigars that were not my taste but i can see why others love them (Davidoff Gran Cru, Tatuaje Cojonu 2009, 5 vegas Miami) but i dont get why this line gets the praise it does.
    "Wounds my heart with a monotonous languor."

Allied code used to signal the Normandy Invasion to French Resistance

“Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.”

Sigmund Freud