Home General Discussion

Building My BFH (warning - many pictures)

13»

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    WaltBasil:
    jsnake:
    Walt, that is beautiful and you have some serious talent. Thanks for sharing start to finish. I am glad someone revived this so I could see it. I took on basement finishing with zero experience and it was some trial and error but it turned out great. Going to post the almost finished pics in my original thread in off topic section later. Carpet finally goes in end of this month and it is done. Only took me 2 years - time and money. I have two basements so the next one is going to be pre-wired for surround sound and entertainment center. Now I want to do something like this but it seems really intimidating. I would love to do something like this on a smaller scale. That is just such an impressive piece. You should be really proud of that.
    Thanks jsnake. It's not as intimidating as it looks. Just a bunch of "little" projects arranged head to toe. Take your time, do some here and there, like you've done on the basements. It all comes together in the end.
    Great advice. On the basement I couldn't see the big picture while in progress. I am a perfectionist and worried about each step even though I knew in the end you wouldn't see the framing and guts of it all. Learned watching youtube and advice from cigar buddies. I think I may add something similar to my plans. If I do I will post pics and if you don't mind I may ask for some suggestions.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    Wow, great job. I noticed it in your profile pic, but never saw the full size pictures in the thread until now. Wow again.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    jsnake:
    Great advice. On the basement I couldn't see the big picture while in progress. I am a perfectionist and worried about each step even though I knew in the end you wouldn't see the framing and guts of it all. Learned watching youtube and advice from cigar buddies. I think I may add something similar to my plans. If I do I will post pics and if you don't mind I may ask for some suggestions.
    absolutely. Pm or or a regular thread. Whichever you prefer.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I had to look this up to see what you were adding LED's to. Wow!! Beautiful piece. I'd love to build something like that (although I've never really built anything!). Can't wait to see what the additional lights look like. Too cool, Walt. Maybe I'll try a smaller piece first, and go from there. We rent now so I wouldn't be able to do a built in custom job like that. Looks like you nailed every detail. Many shops would be jealous, I'm sure.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    1. Beautiful work man!!! 2. I could be wrong, but it KINDA sounds like you just invited the forum to your brand spankin new cigar lounge!! (I'll take a Modelo on tap please good sir!)
    Thanks, and yes, everyone here is more than welcome to a drink and smoke on me if ever in the area. I cook rather well too, so dinner would be served too. So far, just AJ has taken me up on this.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Rain:
    AJF?!
    No silly! Dr. Frankenstein. Although that OTHER AJ would be welcome too.
    "Other"? This means war.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    WaltBasil:
    Thanks, and yes, everyone here is more than welcome to a drink and smoke on me if ever in the area. I cook rather well too, so dinner would be served too. So far, just AJ has taken me up on this.
    we are currently planning our vacation for 2015 soooo....
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    Absolutely Bad Ass. Have seen you post pics of it but didn;t realize you had actually built it yourself. Fantastic job and came out absolutely killer.
    twistedstem:
    WaltBasil:
    we are currently planning our vacation for 2015 soooo....
    Bring it Vance! We can have a bookmarking 101 seminar!
  • Edna20Edna20 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 395
    OMG, I love it. My husband isn't your biggest fan right now though. He asked me why I was measuring the walls in the someday-to-be bar room (once the little guy stops using it as a playroom). I showed him these pictures :)
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Edna20:
    OMG, I love it. My husband isn't your biggest fan right now though. He asked me why I was measuring the walls in the someday-to-be bar room (once the little guy stops using it as a playroom). I showed him these pictures :)
    Hahahaha, yeah Walt has some serious skills to say the least. He is also one of the single most selfless people I've met. Truly an all around great guy and remarkable brother :)
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Man, guess this got posted up while I was away; glad it got bumped! Some seriously incredible work here man, no joke! I'm curious though, why the big base that seems to be completely empty? When I saw the original frame I thought maybe that was gonna be like open cabinet box storage, and then display storage up top... any reason you didn't utilize that space? Obviously it works for you (and is WAY nicer than anything I got!), just curious.
    Hays:
    Man, guess this got posted up while I was away; glad it got bumped! Some seriously incredible work here man, no joke! I'm curious though, why the big base that seems to be completely empty? When I saw the original frame I thought maybe that was gonna be like open cabinet box storage, and then display storage up top... any reason you didn't utilize that space? Obviously it works for you (and is WAY nicer than anything I got!), just curious.
    I love questions and discussions like this, one of my fav things about this place is the stuff like this :) The discussions and back and forth about stuff like this is just fascinating to me. Great question Hays!
    Hays:
    Yeah, fair question... I built it as I went along. I planned to do something like cabinets at the beginning. I knew I wanted no more than 20 cubic feet, which would then require way more horsepower for humidification than what I was walling to get into. I also wanted the majority of the shelving to be at chest level like at a BnM. In fact, I made several trips to my Tobacco Tin here just to get ideas. I thought about that space below. It contains supports (i.e. the off-kilter middle 2x4 that offers a lip for the bottom shelf to rest upon). I also wanted plenty of space down there to have electrical wiring that ran through the open space rather than attached to wood, just in case something went wrong and they overheat. I considered putting cabinet doors there for storage of whatever (non-humidified). In the end, my laziness won out and no cabinet doors were made. I could say that in a past life I was a master electrician who always had to work in enclosed enivironments/spaces. I made sure any electrical work would be very easy to with lots of space. But in the end, pure laziness. I was ready for this thing to be done. My chest humidor and coolerdor were filling up.
    WaltBasil:
    Hays:
    Yeah, fair question... I built it as I went along. I planned to do something like cabinets at the beginning. I knew I wanted no more than 20 cubic feet, which would then require way more horsepower for humidification than what I was walling to get into. I also wanted the majority of the shelving to be at chest level like at a BnM. In fact, I made several trips to my Tobacco Tin here just to get ideas. I thought about that space below. It contains supports (i.e. the off-kilter middle 2x4 that offers a lip for the bottom shelf to rest upon). I also wanted plenty of space down there to have electrical wiring that ran through the open space rather than attached to wood, just in case something went wrong and they overheat. I considered putting cabinet doors there for storage of whatever (non-humidified). In the end, my laziness won out and no cabinet doors were made. I could say that in a past life I was a master electrician who always had to work in enclosed enivironments/spaces. I made sure any electrical work would be very easy to with lots of space. But in the end, pure laziness. I was ready for this thing to be done. My chest humidor and coolerdor were filling up.
    Makes sense to me, and is certainly as good of an explanation as any! I can understand wanting the open space for the electrical... few years back had to climb into some VERY cramped spaces to rewire the electrical system on my sailboat, and...well, yeah it wasn´t pretty. Anyway, like I said man, looks awesome!
    Hays:
    WaltBasil:
    Hays:
    Makes sense to me, and is certainly as good of an explanation as any! I can understand wanting the open space for the electrical... few years back had to climb into some VERY cramped spaces to rewire the electrical system on my sailboat, and...well, yeah it wasn´t pretty. Anyway, like I said man, looks awesome!
    When you bring into play the looking downstream for what would I do if I had to get into this place to make a repair then that does make tons more sense and is really intelligent. Can't tell you how many hours I've soent crammed into nasty places fixing electrical issues in cars or houses with me swearing left and right about how stupid it was to put X here since there is zero space. Smart thinking Walt, really.
    OK.. so the lights came in and they are absolutely perfect. I'll be ordering a few more expansion kits and daisy chain them off this one. I set it up on the bottom of the top shelf, illuminating the 2nd shelf.

Untitled
    Stunning bro. Looks top notch.
  • matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    That does look good. I would Almost even replace the top bar light with the tape light so you have the same colors throughout. Looking good
    matkn293:
    That does look good. I would Almost even replace the top bar light with the tape light so you have the same colors throughout. Looking good
    Nice man, yeah I was thinking the same thing. The big lights really take some attention away from the beauty that is the tobacco goodness in there!