Home Ratings & Reviews

Diesel Unholy Cocktail...

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    clearlysuspect:
    Krieg:
    I have 6 of these in my humi right now...haven't tried one yet though. I think next time I go to the cigar bar, I will smoke one of these, I really don't wanna be freezing my ass off the first time I smoke it.
    Two words......

ELECTRIC BLANKET

I love going out on my patio, wrapping up in mine and enjoying a good cigar in the winter.
    Electric Blanket?? I thought you said you used a Snuggie?? lol
  • taddowtaddow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    I smoked one of these tonight (its been resting in my humi since they became available) and I found it to be quite enjoyable. It had a good flavor and even though it started with an uneven burn, it evened itself out after a few minutes without having to touch it up. I think I'll put it in my list of top ten.
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    taddow:
    I smoked one of these tonight (its been resting in my humi since they became available) and I found it to be quite enjoyable. It had a good flavor and even though it started with an uneven burn, it evened itself out after a few minutes without having to touch it up. I think I'll put it in my list of top ten.

Yeah, I had another on Superbowl Sunday and it was great....
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    I had one earlier in the week with 3+ months of rest and it was fantastic! Much love for the Diesel :^)
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    To me there just wasn't anything to this cigar. I mean it was a powerhouse but lacked any real flavor. I set it down with 2 inches to go. Its sad bc I was pretty excited about it.
    madurofan:
    To me there just wasn't anything to this cigar. I mean it was a powerhouse but lacked any real flavor. I set it down with 2 inches to go. Its sad bc I was pretty excited about it.
    Wow, I've had 6 of these or so now and they have all been awesome. One fell a bit flat for the first 1/2" or so, but the flavors got going after that. Have you tried more than one? I found it to start off meaty and peppery and get into a more sweet and coffee/chocolate kind of profile toward the end. These have been one that I consistently nub every time.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I smoked my third Diesel tonight. I've given the cigar what I feel to be a good objective try, three cigars: one smoked fresh and the other two smoked at intervals of 30-45 days after the previous one. And I'll say this much right off the bat, it is a well made cigar and it is a good cigar. That said, I'm just not sold on it, it is full bodied but something in the flavor department is lacking for me, it doesn't live up to my taste in cigars. Would I smoke one occasionally? You bet I would, I'd enjoy one or two a month, but it's not the kind of cigar I could smoke with any regularity, it's just not there. You Diesel fans can write this off, say I don't have good taste in cigars or whatever, but that's my opinion on the Diesel after giving it a fair shot.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    j0z3r:
    I smoked my third Diesel tonight. I've given the cigar what I feel to be a good objective try, three cigars: one smoked fresh and the other two smoked at intervals of 30-45 days after the previous one. And I'll say this much right off the bat, it is a well made cigar and it is a good cigar. That said, I'm just not sold on it, it is full bodied but something in the flavor department is lacking for me, it doesn't live up to my taste in cigars. Would I smoke one occasionally? You bet I would, I'd enjoy one or two a month, but it's not the kind of cigar I could smoke with any regularity, it's just not there. You Diesel fans can write this off, say I don't have good taste in cigars or whatever, but that's my opinion on the Diesel after giving it a fair shot.
    Hey Jozer, I really hope that I don't have the same experience. I am getting some in a trade from Hays. I am really looking forward to trying them. I know in the past I haven't liked some cigars that others liked, and I absolutely loved some cigars other people didn't like. Taste is totally subjective, which is why we have so many wonderful cigars to choose from. If my father in law had his way, they would make the monte cristo number 2's and that would be all..lol
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    j0z3r:
    I think part of the problem was that there was too much hype on this cigar, I also was waiting for a flavor explosion, it was good, but it didn't blow my socks off or anything.
    Krieg:
    j0z3r:
    I think part of the problem was that there was too much hype on this cigar, I also was waiting for a flavor explosion, it was good, but it didn't blow my socks off or anything.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. Should have listened to Public Enemy when they said "don't beleive the hype". :)
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    Krieg:
    j0z3r:
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. Should have listened to Public Enemy when they said "don't beleive the hype". :)

Yeah they are better with a few months on them, but they don't live up to the hype. I still have a half dozen of them, and because of the let down with them, they stand a good chance at seeing some serious aging now :)
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    j0z3r:
    I don't think anybody has the right to tell you that you have a poor taste in cigars; it's subjective, and you've got one of the best palate I've seen on the forums. In fact, we have very similar tastes, from what I recall. However, the diesel, at it's price point, is fantastic in my opinion; I really dig the flavors, and the fact that they're all really well made. It's a cigar thats cheap enough for me to enjoy whenever, and I noticed that when I had my half a box (now since gone) I found myself almost always reaching for one.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I'm about 1/3 through my second box. I like them a lot. Are they a complex smoke? No. Are theya good value for the price? Yes, I'd say so. They have good flavors, not great, and are reasonably priced. Not a special occasion smoke, but a good after lunch making sawdust in the shop smoke.
    Duder2:
    madurofan:
    Wow, I've had 6 of these or so now and they have all been awesome. One fell a bit flat for the first 1/2" or so, but the flavors got going after that. Have you tried more than one? I found it to start off meaty and peppery and get into a more sweet and coffee/chocolate kind of profile toward the end. These have been one that I consistently nub every time.
    Nope just had one so far. I have another one resting, going to give it another month. I'm right here with Joe and Krieg. Its good and quality but just not spectacular. Its just another average cigar, IMO. That doesn't mean its average to you.
    madurofan:
    Duder2:
    madurofan:
    Nope just had one so far. I have another one resting, going to give it another month. I'm right here with Joe and Krieg. Its good and quality but just not spectacular. Its just another average cigar, IMO. That doesn't mean its average to you.
    I hear ya, I hope my reply wasn't taken the wrong way, taste is very subjective. I also like a lot (definitely not all) of Gurkha's, so my opinion probably means nothing to all the Gurkha haters out there :^)
    Duder2:
    madurofan:
    Duder2:
    madurofan:
    I hear ya, I hope my reply wasn't taken the wrong way, taste is very subjective. I also like a lot (definitely not all) of Gurkha's, so my opinion probably means nothing to all the Gurkha haters out there :^)
    No, I didn't take it the wrong way at all. I respect your opinion and enjoyed reading what flavors you pulled from it. It will give me a reference for the next time I smoke it.

As far as Gurkha goes, I imagine if I went through and tried all of them I'd find quite a few I liked but thats the problem to me. I enjoyed the Turk and remember enjoying the Park Avenue as a morning cigar. Its more the company and the pricing that irritate me and the fact that none of their cigars have made me go "Damn I see why this retails for $25".
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Joe,
    do you like the MoW Ruination? I hear the filler is the same but the wrapper is the difference. Just curious as to what your feelings are on this. I like the Diesel and even though it's one dimensional, I can appreciate that with this stick. It's powerful but not rancid or overbearing like some powerful sticks are. If it had a little more spice to it, it would be awesome. Wondering if the Ruination gets that spice
    I do like the Ruination...I don't know if that is true, but I didn't really see a lot of similarities from one to the other. Of course i'd have to smoke two pretty close together to be at all accurate.
    i don't remember where I read that but if it is indeed true, i need to smoke a ruination and the new MoW limited or whatever it's called
    Are you talking about the MoW Limted Edition Salamon? If that's the one, then I'd say yes, you do need to try one, they are great. In my opinion it's the best of the Man o War line.
    The MoW Ruination definetly has quite a but more spice than the diesel.
    I'm a big MoW fan and have been looking forward to trying these. I just recieved my order in the mail for the Limited edition and can't wait to smoke one.
    j0z3r:
    Are you talking about the MoW Limted Edition Salamon? If that's the one, then I'd say yes, you do need to try one, they are great. In my opinion it's the best of the Man o War line.
    that's the one. I think this may be my first box purchase, even though I haven't tried one yet. How can you go wrong. The best qualities of really great sticks all rolled into one. It's like a Ferrari filled with gold and double D strippers
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    dennisking:
    j0z3r:
    that's the one. I think this may be my first box purchase, even though I haven't tried one yet. How can you go wrong. The best qualities of really great sticks all rolled into one. It's like a Ferrari filled with gold and double D strippers
    Wow, lol. Sounds like an awesome car!
    hell yeah it is, i love my gold plated ferrari with strippers in it

• 24footjet24footjet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 132
    Dennis. I absolutely love the MOW...so I ordered a box of ruinations thinking "hey it'll be better" without tasting one...right off the truck it was awful and I'm hoping that it was an anomaly, otherwise I have a box of ruinations to get rid of or let sit for awhile. Smoked great, tons of smoke, beautiful cigar but the taste was acrid and bitter and nothing like the regular MOW. I'm sure hoping it's just a one time deal. Get a 5 pack first. But the MOW is in my top 3 for sure.
    I finally tried one of these tonight and it was great! I'm not sure if I like this one better the MoW or the Ruination but it is a toss up. I'll have to do a comparison sometime and see. I still think people should give it a shot if the like MoW.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    24footjet:
    Dennis. I absolutely love the MOW...so I ordered a box of ruinations thinking "hey it'll be better" without tasting one...right off the truck it was awful and I'm hoping that it was an anomaly, otherwise I have a box of ruinations to get rid of or let sit for awhile. Smoked great, tons of smoke, beautiful cigar but the taste was acrid and bitter and nothing like the regular MOW. I'm sure hoping it's just a one time deal. Get a 5 pack first. But the MOW is in my top 3 for sure.
    I think you'll like em a lot better with some rest but if not, please lemme know and we can work a trade of some sort out!
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Alex Williams:
    24footjet:
    I think you'll like em a lot better with some rest but if not, please lemme know and we can work a trade of some sort out!
    The Ruinations are awesome. If you decide to unload the rest of that box, I would trade for them. Only have 5 left in my box.
  • 24footjet24footjet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 132
    I'll let them rest for awhile and give it another try hoping it was a bad one... but if not, I will definitely get in contact with you guys for a trade.