Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Had a Cu Avana robusto with coffee this am. Nice mild smoke - like it a bunch. This afternoon I took the kids to a local festival (Ribfest) and spent two hours chasing them around smoking an Ashton VSG sorceror - fabulaous smoke. Finished the night w a RP V92 that was just ok - not as much flavor as I typically find with one.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I had my first Hemingway tonight ( thank you urbino ) and it was fabulous. The size was the Classic I believe, and what a classic it was, dead even burn, perfect draw and great flavor. The only part of the experience that was negative was me dropping the cigar part way through and causing the wrapper to split in a couple places... oops. Fortunately it did not impair the smokability of the cigar. I will definitely be looking into the Hemingway line much, much more.

Joe
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Sounds like a good day, all in all, sdip. After last night's misfortunes, I wanted something tonight that I knew I could rely on; something I knew I wouldn't have to smoke quite so tactically to keep it burning. I went with another R&J Reserva Real, and it delivered again. I'm just pleased as can be with these cigars.
    Glad you liked it, Joe! And yes, it was a Classic.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    j0z3r:
    I had my first Hemingway tonight ( thank you urbino ) and it was fabulous. The size was the Classic I believe, and what a classic it was, dead even burn, perfect draw and great flavor. The only part of the experience that was negative was me dropping the cigar part way through and causing the wrapper to split in a couple places... oops. Fortunately it did not impair the smokability of the cigar. I will definitely be looking into the Hemingway line much, much more.

Joe
    The Hemingways are a fine cigar but I find them out of stock often. Get 'em when you can since they only get better with some age on them..Also a cigar I've been touting lately is Bauza by Fuentes.. This reminds me of the Hemingway in several ways..( at half the price) It can become a very nice everyday cigar..
    I've noticed that the Hemingway is constantly in demand, and out of stock, as well kas. I wonder if Fuente only produces a certain amount per time period to keep a certain standard of quality, as opposed to keeping up with demand at the cost of a drop in overall quality. If that is the case, I'm all for it. I will hopefully buy myself a box sooner rather than later, but I've really over extended myself on cigar purchases over the past few weeks, so no more buying for me for at least a couple months ( I say that as if it means anything :D )

Joe
    They do indeed, Joe. Only their best rollers get to make them, and even they are limited to 70 a day. I don't know if this is still true -- actually, I don't know if it was ever true -- but the scuttlebutt used to be that all the Masterpieces were made by one guy; their senior-most roller. True or not, my experience has been that the Masterpiece is aptly named.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Tonight was extra special since I've been on the injured reserve since having dental surgery last week. Healed up enough to light one up and enjoy it (off the meds). I chose a 5 Vegas Miami, which I had not tried before, but expected good things since I enjoy the Classic and Golds. I was not disappointed. I'm not that great yet at describing flavors, but I found it to be in the medium range, with a nice sweetness and a somewhat creamy feel, a nice relaxing smoke. I got off to an uneven starting burn, probably because I couldn't see the flame lighting it, but it evened out nicely and burned without problems for an hour. This one will definitely earn a regular spot in the rotation. With the summer weather really kicking in here I'm having problems with my humi running too high; for now I've removed the moisture pack and moved it to the basement. The beads are on order.
    Tonight was a Cusano P1 torpedo. I was attracted to this line because I had read some good things about it and the price was right for trying something new. Well, quite frankly I'm unimpressed. It was not a particularly bad cigar, it had a pretty even burn and a good draw, though it produced very little smoke. The problem I had was the flavor, or should I say lack thereof, as it was just very bland to me. The cigar started nicely with some flavors of cocoa and a slight earthiness but after a few puffs, any kind of flavor just kind of faded away. I've got some other vitolas of this line, so perhaps I'll have better luck with those, but as it stands right now the torpedo is a no go for me.

Joe
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Joe, I tried the P1 and I don't remember it being lacking in flavor. I think I have another one in the humi to try. I like most Cusanos, I sent you one of their Xclusivos today.

I'm enjoying a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet you sent me for the fun&games (I'm pretty sure it was from your bundle anyway, I need to take notes). I love it, to me this is how a cigar is supposed to taste.
    I had another RP Fusion Double Maduro lancero. Just an extremely pleasant, easy smoke. Well done, RP.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    its strange you didnt like the P1. i love that cigar. that was my go to for almost a year when i first started with cigars.
    Actually kuzi, your review from the old forum was the main reason I purchased a few to try. I wouldn't say I didn't like it necessarily, as of now I'm undecided. As i said, I liked what flavors I got, but the particular cigar I had just had a complete flavor drop off. I'm not writing off the P1 yet, I will give it a couple more tries as I'd like to see what the line has to offer.

Scrambler: I can't recall if I sent you a Cuban Cabinet... perhaps I should take notes as well. Either way, it really is a good cigar, I found it be much to my liking. I'm stoked to hear that you sent me an Xclusivo, I've been looking at these cigars for a little while now and really wanting to get some.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Montecristo Media Noche. its a Montecristo, really, need I say anymore. Impecable burn, cubanesque draw, held the ash for a solid 2 inches. When I set it down it was almost like saying good bye to a good friend.
    seriously i need to try the Media Noche. what is wrong with me? im gunna go get one or two soon. ive liked all the other Montes ive had.
    I think its hard to find a bad Monte!
    Monte Hall was kind of annoying.
    madurofan:
    cubanesque draw
    Explanation, please.
    I was wondering what a "cubanesque" draw was as well.

In any event, tonight I had a Cusano P1 corona. I've decided to make this week my "Cusano P1 week" where I'll have a different vitola from the line each night.

I really enjoyed this cigar, and it was what I had expected from the line. Superb draw, dead even burn and flavors abounding. The flavors I took note of are as follows, but in no particular order: leather, cocoa, grass/sweet hay, coffee and nice tobacco. I had exactly two problems with this cigar, first it ended, second was how to hold 3/4" of cigar without getting third degree burns on my fingers :). Smoking time was 80 minutes or so.

Joe
    Doncha just love it when you get one like that? It's a religious experience.

With all this Gurkha talk, I think I'm gonna have another Sherpa. (Which, looking at the band, I guess technically isn't a Gurkha, but part of Hansotia's signature line. Whatever. I'm gonna set it afire.)
    I'm looking forward to trying the Sherpa.after seeing all the praise from you and kas. Should be getting my bundle tomorrow, so maybe I'll spark one up next week... I stole a box of the Graycliff Legend on auction too, so I've got that to look forward to :) Oh happy days.
    You are well-heeled, indeed, Joe. Tonight's Sherpa was much better than the last one, not as good as the first one. I'd give it an 8.75. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
    urbino:
    Monte Hall was kind of annoying.
    LMAO, a bad Montecristo, Montecristo man!
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    cubanesque draw
    Explanation, please.
    A cubanesque draw is a semi tight draw. A true cuban roller will tell you the goal is to get the draw tight enough where you have to pull on the cigar to produce smoke but not so tight that you have to suck tobacco into your mouth to get any smoke.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406

Kuz:

I got some of the edmundos on auction for $3 and $5. If you are lucky, they are usually available for $3 - $5

ill keep that in mind. but right now im smoking down my humi a bit to make room for some sticks ive had my eye on and hve been putting off for quite some time. the SHORT list includes CAO italia, Partagas Black, and Gurkha triple ligero.
    kuzi16:
    ill keep that in mind. but right now im smoking down my humi a bit to make room for some sticks ive had my eye on and hve been putting off for quite some time. the SHORT list includes CAO italia, Partagas Black, and Gurkha triple ligero.
    and the Montecristo Media Noche.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Haven't decided on one for tonight yet... the brown truck was just here bringing more goodies. Today's arrivals included CAO VR Mobys, Graycliff 1666 torpedos, RP 1990 torpedos, and some 3 Siglos Robustos. I may have to break the resting rule just this once, they were in transit less than 24 hours.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 196
    This afternoon I'll be haveing the cg:4 and a few others....Thanks madurofan!!
    They arrived? Very nice!
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    and the Montecristo Media Noche.
    add that to the list... the list gets bigger but my humidor stays the same size...
    You haven't bought a wine fridge yet?