Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    j0z3r:
    Once I started smoking, all the weak points in the wrapper were exacerbated, cracks became more prevalent, and loose spots began to flake away. They have delicate wrappers, the one I grabbed was a little too delicate I guess, perhaps a bit under humidified as well, it has been quite hot and dry these past few months and its been wreaking havoc with my humidity.
    I hate when cigars start falling apart on me when I am smoking them.. It sounds like a dry one to me. I place my questionable sticks in a zip lock bag with a water pillow and let them spend a day in my car, nice and warm/humid. They become a bit spongy but burn without the cracking and flaking you were mentioning. Works for my taste.
  • dbaileydbailey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    I ordered the Habano 464. Hopefully it is a good smoke. What didn't you like about it?
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    The Habano was my second favorite. To me, it just didn't have as much flavor as the Cameroon. The reviews of all 3 are in my log, over in the Reviews area.
    Thanks for the info. I will take a look at your review. Thanks again.
    Just read some of your reviews...nice job. Good senses and the ability to convey those senses. I am curious about the Gurkha Turk. I may have overlooked your review on this one, but what did you think? Have you had this one yet?

Gotta run, gotta smoke. Have a great night!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I had my first Nub habano the other day, a nice medium bodied smoke that had a nice amount of spice and pretty decent flavor. Not great, but a good, solid smoke.
    Thanks, dbailey. Glad they were helpful. Enjoy your smoke!

Oh, and I haven't had the Turk, so I'm no help there. Others around here have, though.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 404
    Having the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet while sitting outside. A nice day in TN.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    awe man that sounds good.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    I smoked my first Nub last night (thanks Maddy). It was a cameroon which I like so I enjoyed the flavors but I was left wanting more. And half way through it was burning really hot. I took more time on this one than I usually do b/c I wasnt sure how long this cigar was actually going to burn. Only 40-45 minutes into it and over half way through it just got too hot to smoke. I will try this cigar again when I am back home, I've noticed that these desert conditions can wreak havoc on some cigars. Then again it was my first one, has anyone else had these issues with this cigar?
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Tonight was a Cuesta Rey Centofino Robusto. Good smoke!
    Bad Andy:
    I smoked my first Nub last night (thanks Maddy). It was a cameroon which I like so I enjoyed the flavors but I was left wanting more. And half way through it was burning really hot. I took more time on this one than I usually do b/c I wasnt sure how long this cigar was actually going to burn. Only 40-45 minutes into it and over half way through it just got too hot to smoke. I will try this cigar again when I am back home, I've noticed that these desert conditions can wreak havoc on some cigars. Then again it was my first one, has anyone else had these issues with this cigar?
    I haven't had that with any of the Nubs I've smoked, Andy. One thing that was very consistent about them was they all had great construction.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    The construction was great, the smell, draw, flavor were all great but it just burned too fast and hot. Like I said it is probably a product of the desert conditions. I've noticed that my flavors can be flat out here also but this one was stronger than some other cigars that I have smoked out here.
  • CaptCapt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127

I haven't posted here yet, so here were tonight smokes:

After dinner, smoked a Cohiba Esplendidos, box date UPM AGO 07.  I believe the cigars as a whole are getting better than the last few years.  Now the hard part will be holding on to the remainder to see how they age.

Just finished a Trinidad Coloniales box date SOA OCT 07.  I have these from 06 also.  I have not touched the box of 06 yet, but I wanted to smoke one of the 07 to get a base on these.  Still young, these will do nothing but get better!

Yesterday I smoked a Ramon Allones Exclusivo Asia Pacifico.  I do not have a box date on these, as I only aquired these as singles.  My last one, and I doubt I will ever be able to get more....

I finished up with a Rocky Patel Rosado toro a few minutes ago, a very nice smoke. Construction was flawless, the cigar held an even chocolate brown shade with the slightest reddish hue, veining was prominent but did not cause any burn problems. I'd call this one on the full side of medium bodied and with some good complexity. Smoking time was 1 hour 45 mins. Mmm good!

Joe
    And I had a Rocky Vintage '92. This is just a damn fine smoke, and that's all there is to it. I think when I reviewed my first one, I gave it a 9.something, and this one confirms that rating. Call it a 9.2. More are on the way. Thanks to the many here whose praise of various Rocky Patels induced me to get his big sampler.
    I still have not tried an RP Vintage yet. I've got a 1990 6x60 with a good deal of age on it, but I just never seem to grab it... maybe tomorrow... I'll do an all Rocky weekend extravaganza... or something like that.
    Hey Urbino, I had the Nub Habano 464 last night, and I pretty much agree with you. It was not a fantastic smoke but a good one still. I did not taste any strong flavors or hints of anything which was kind of disappointing. The overall burn was exceptional though. I really took my time on this cigar, about 60 minutes. Overall, it was good, but I am not going to rush out and buy any others. I would like to try the Cameroon though. Tonight, it will be the Rocky Patel I-Press.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    dbailey:
    Hey Urbino, I had the Nub Habano 464 last night, and I pretty much agree with you. It was not a fantastic smoke but a good one still. I did not taste any strong flavors or hints of anything which was kind of disappointing. The overall burn was exceptional though. I really took my time on this cigar, about 60 minutes. Overall, it was good, but I am not going to rush out and buy any others. I would like to try the Cameroon though. Tonight, it will be the Rocky Patel I-Press.
    The thing about the NUbs is they are supposed to be very consistent cigars, the flavor will basically be the same from start to finish. I like the Habano but have to say the Cameroon is MUCH more flavorful IMO.
    ive never had a problem with cigars that are about the same from start to finish. some people call this "simple" or bash em for being "not complex"
    i like to say they are the same level of good from start to finish.
    I do agree with you kuzi16, it is a good cigar from start to finish. I was not bashing the cigar at all, so my apologies if my response indicated that at all. I was just expecting a little more from it I guess????
    There is something to be said for consistent cigars. Its when they are consitently boring that I have a problem. I like a consistent cigar when the flavors are a little complex. I get bored with it when it has one flavor consistently through the cigar and thats it.
    P.S. THe Nub Cameroon is one of my favorite cigars, period. I love that cigar, it is consistently amazing!
    dbailey:
    I do agree with you kuzi16, it is a good cigar from start to finish. I was not bashing the cigar at all, so my apologies if my response indicated that at all. I was just expecting a little more from it I guess????
    no, you didnt come off as bashing it at all. i was just thinking of some snobs that would because it isnt "complex enough"
    kuzi16:
    dbailey:
    no, you didnt come off as bashing it at all. i was just thinking of some snobs that would because it isnt "complex enough"
    Eh! I said that about a cigar once! Ok I might be a little snobbish but I'm not a label snob so that makes it a little better, right? Right?

Guess not.
    Like I said, I am going to smoke the Rocky Patel I-Press tonight. Anyone out there smoke this one yet? If so, please share your thoughts. I have heard a lot of good stuff about this smoke, so I am eager to try it out.
    I haven't even seen one yet. Isn't it almost completely flat?
    madurofan:
    I haven't even seen one yet. Isn't it almost completely flat?
    yeah i have on in my humidor right now. i have no idea how im gunna cut it. the punch i use is too wide for it and the double guillotine is designed for roundish cigars... i may dig out some old cutters i have around and see whats best. Its a good, but strange lookin cigar.
    j0z3r:
    I still have not tried an RP Vintage yet. I've got a 1990 6x60 with a good deal of age on it, but I just never seem to grab it... maybe tomorrow... I'll do an all Rocky weekend extravaganza... or something like that.
    The '90 isn't as good as the '92, IME. I'll send you a couple '92s.
    dbailey:
    I'll just agree with what you and kuzi and maddy have already said on the Nub Habano and Cameroon. If the Cameroon didn't exist, I'd probably keep some Habanos around for short smokes. But since the Cameroon does exist, I'd much rather have those.

Let us know what you think of the I-Press.