Home Non Cigar Related

The Beer Forum (It's really a thread but it sounds better this way)

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    Met up with some friends at BWW last night and had a couple of Sam Adam's Boston Lager which is always phenominal on tap. After that we went to an Irish Pub for some drinking songs and Guiness. A pretty good night with great friends and great beer. If only I didn't live in Fayetteville, NC it might have been a great night.....
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    dennisking:
    the floral notes of the hops really come out when you pour it in a glass. I have some glasses from New Belgium (the Fat Tire peeps) and hey are like brandy glasses, kinda like wine glasses but big open mouths for that big aroma experience. really changes the flavor.
    I live 25 minuts from New Belgium brewery...... pretty awesome tour and at the end........ the coldest fat tire you have ever had awaits you!
  • SquatchitoSquatchito Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    Fat Tire is the bain of my existence. Not a week goes by where someone doesn't come into the store and ask for it. Their is a gold mine awaiting New Belgium should they ever decide to grace Virginia with thier presence. Anyway, hit up a local place before the hockey game last night. I had checked the draft list online earlier in and effort to decide where exactly I was going to end up. I saw some things I was really excited about. Naturally when I got there they were no longer on the menu. I did try Evolution's No.3 IPA on cask. It was decent, nothing I would demand in my regular rotation but certainly worth trying. Had the afformentioned Duck Rabbit Barleywine which was very nice indeed. Closed out with Flying Dog's Raging ***, which might be thier best beer. Could flip a coin between it and Gonzo Porter. I don't like a lot of their stuff, but when they get something right it is excellent.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Jetmech_63:
    Squatchito:
    Hmmm. As far as everyday availability the best in my opinion would be Old Rasputin from North Coast. Fantastic Imperial Stout at an incredibly good price.

I Friggin love that stuff! Try Moylans Imperial Stout as well!
    Is that the old Rasputin XII? Or just Rasputin? Lookin at bevmo.com because I can't find any of these delicious brews round home...
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:
    Squatchito:
    Hmmm. As far as everyday availability the best in my opinion would be Old Rasputin from North Coast. Fantastic Imperial Stout at an incredibly good price.

Is that the old Rasputin XII? Or just Rasputin? Lookin at bevmo.com because I can't find any of these delicious brews round home...
    Just the standard. XII is one of those "if you really like bourbon" barrel aged stouts. For me, the flavor came through way to strong and overwhelmed everything else. I feel like the bourbon aged stuff should have a subtle, folded-in bourbon nuance. There to compliment an already great beer, as opposed to becoming the focus of it. This is all failing to mention the price of XII, which is outrageous. I charge $22 for a 500ml bottle at my store.
    Squatchito:
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:
    Squatchito:

Just the standard. XII is one of those "if you really like bourbon" barrel aged stouts. For me, the flavor came through way to strong and overwhelmed everything else. I feel like the bourbon aged stuff should have a subtle, folded-in bourbon nuance. There to compliment an already great beer, as opposed to becoming the focus of it. This is all failing to mention the price of XII, which is outrageous. I charge $22 for a 500ml bottle at my store.
    Ya I noticed the price. That's why I was REALLY hoping that wasn't the one y'all were talkin about. Can't wait to get em! So far, I'm gettin moose drool, ruination, Samuel smiths oatmeal stout, double chocolate stout, and finally the Rasputin. Any reccomendations??
    Depending upon availability: Bell's Expedition Stout, Bell's Double Cream Stout(probably unavailable), Founders Breakfast Stout(also probably unavailable), Southern Tier Oat, Great Divide Yeti(any of them, they are all great), Bear Republic Big Bear, Oskar Blue's Ten Fidy. As always there are plenty more, but all of those find there way down my gullet with regularity when available and I highly recommend them.

Side note, if you dig the Double Chocolate when winter rolls around definitely grab some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Southern Tier Chokolat and Mocha would be worth seeking out as well. Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence(which is can be difficult to find on its own, but easily obtained around Christmas in their gift packs) is awesome. Rogue Chocolate is a bit different with chocolate being used more as a bittering addition is one of their better offerings.
    Squatchito:
    Depending upon availability: Bell's Expedition Stout, Bell's Double Cream Stout(probably unavailable), Founders Breakfast Stout(also probably unavailable), Southern Tier Oat, Great Divide Yeti(any of them, they are all great), Bear Republic Big Bear, Oskar Blue's Ten Fidy. As always there are plenty more, but all of those find there way down my gullet with regularity when available and I highly recommend them.

Side note, if you dig the Double Chocolate when winter rolls around definitely grab some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Southern Tier Chokolat and Mocha would be worth seeking out as well. Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence(which is can be difficult to find on its own, but easily obtained around Christmas in their gift packs) is awesome. Rogue Chocolate is a bit different with chocolate being used more as a bittering addition is one of their better offerings.
    You are the kuzi of beer... We're not worthy!!
    Alex Williams:
    You are the kuzi of beer... We're not worthy!!
    I appreciate the compliment, but there are others far, far more gifted than I in this regard. However, I will do all I can to get quality beer in folks bellies with what knowledge I have.
    Hayblet:
    Arrogant B astard is a good one, I can find it at the SC/NC border but it is on the SC side... ooh! if you like brown ale's I would highly suggest Nostrodomus, flippin awesome beer there yo (had to edit since it put astericks where the 2nd word was...)
    is oaked arrogant basterd and arrogant basterd the same? It says "this years arrogant basterd ale has changed into a whole new creation... oaked!" so i wasnt sure which one yall had...
    Alex Williams:
    Squatchito:
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:
    Squatchito:

Ya I noticed the price. That's why I was REALLY hoping that wasn't the one y'all were talkin about. Can't wait to get em! So far, I'm gettin moose drool, ruination, Samuel smiths oatmeal stout, double chocolate stout, and finally the Rasputin. Any reccomendations??
    just went to check out in bevmo.com and then they said they dont ship to alabama..... so much for trying good beer!!!!!! I am PISSED
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    dude same here... they dont ship to illinois either, wtf mate?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Sweet! Now that means i can bomb you guys with beer!...... and dont think for a second i'm kidding!!!!

+1 for the Ten Fiddy, really tasty brew. Also if you can find it from Old Coast is Brother Thelonious. Has an interesting burnt caramely thing going on, good brew. Sorry it took me so long, i was out of town. Actually about to crack open some old rasputin :) Havent had the Rasputin XII, but bourbon and beer......i dunno....may pass on that one. Bison Chocolate stout is good and there is another chocolate stout i liked.....purple label.....have to look tomorrow which one it was. Anyone try Monks Blood from 21st Amendment? Or have it near them?
    Jetmech_63:
    Sweet! Now that means i can bomb you guys with beer!...... and dont think for a second i'm kidding!!!!

+1 for the Ten Fiddy, really tasty brew. Also if you can find it from Old Coast is Brother Thelonious. Has an interesting burnt caramely thing going on, good brew. Sorry it took me so long, i was out of town. Actually about to crack open some old rasputin :) Havent had the Rasputin XII, but bourbon and beer......i dunno....may pass on that one. Bison Chocolate stout is good and there is another chocolate stout i liked.....purple label.....have to look tomorrow which one it was. Anyone try Monks Blood from 21st Amendment? Or have it near them?
    Sounds like Young's to me. Bison Chocolate is definitely solid. I haven't gotten a chance to try Monk's Blood yet. The distributor has been out of it since I became interested.

The BevMo thing really sucks. Actually I retract, state liquor laws regarding the shipping of booze really suck. We can't have stuff shipped into Virginia either. You can go to the ABC store and order what you want. This is of course providing it is on the special order list, which contains no beer or wine, and you have to buy an entire case. Just awful.
    Alex Williams:
    Hayblet:
    Arrogant B astard is a good one, I can find it at the SC/NC border but it is on the SC side... ooh! if you like brown ale's I would highly suggest Nostrodomus, flippin awesome beer there yo (had to edit since it put astericks where the 2nd word was...)
    is oaked arrogant basterd and arrogant basterd the same? It says "this years arrogant basterd ale has changed into a whole new creation... oaked!" so i wasnt sure which one yall had...
    2 different brews. Oaked comes in six-packs or individual 12oz bottles. It's what it says it is, Arrogant *** that has be aged with/in oak(I can't remember which, considering Stone's financial resources, I would suspect in oak). This is one that uses oak really well. If you like the aggressiveness of AB then it may disappoint you. The oak mellows everything out, but adds a wonderful woody nuance to the hole thing. I like it with BBQ brisket, or as an after dinner sipper. Haven't had a chance yet, but I wager it would work very well with a full bodied, woody smoke.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    Picked up a 6 pack of Shiner Bock today because the beer selection here on base is terrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that much of a snob, I enjoy some Shiner Bock. It kinda warmed up a little in the car though... I enjoy my beer a little warmer than most people, but this stuff isn't what I am used to. I guess what I am saying is, Shiner Bock is acceptable but not the best beer I have had recently. Good enough for tonight though!
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    love shiner bock, havin some leine sunset wheat right now.. de-lish
    Jetmech_63:
    Now i know you have been gone for quite a long time and you are getting to be a little older and forgetful, but you dont wanna start a bombing war with me ;) I'm not against blowing up senior citizens and/or veterans... Or canadians for that matter! My wrath hath no boundries :D
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:
    Now i know you have been gone for quite a long time and you are getting to be a little older and forgetful, but you dont wanna start a bombing war with me ;) I'm not against blowing up senior citizens and/or veterans... Or canadians for that matter! My wrath hath no boundries :D

Sandbags beeyatch....get them :)

Having a Moylans Imperial Stout with a 262 Paradigm, great combo. For those lucky enough to try the Rasputin...and wish it had just a tiny bit more hops...Moylans is right up yer alley. Rasputin is more balanced but this brew really plays the extra hoppy flavor well.
    I passed on anything this evening. However yesterday I had a few things worth mentioning(actually, I had a lot of a lot of things yesterday and so avoided drunken postings):

First and foremost something relatively new. Avery Sixteen, their latest anniversary ale. Something important to note about myself . . . I am a saison junkie. I love them, and the funkier the better. So when it came into the store and I saw it was a saison I got very excited. I then saw that jasmine flowers and peaches were involved in the brewing and got even more excited. Firstly because I enjoy both of those things immensely, and secondly, when a brewery like Avery starts messing around with stuff like peaches and jasmine flowers you know you are in for a treat.

On to the beer, which when opened, despite being a good two feet from my nose instantly filled the air with estery, yeasty, barnyardy saison goodness. Into a stemmed goblet it went, straw gold and hugely effervescent. It had the definitive musty smell of saison, with notes of citrus and wheat. The peach is there, just tickling the nostrils. On the palate it is light with lots of bubbles. Tart citrus immediatly, a little banana, and that hay/barnyard funk coming through. The jasmine comes through just a little bit, along with some spicy notes. Those peaches, they are barely detectable . . . at the start. But working my way through the glass they become much more apparent, particularly on the finish. This one closes out very crisp and very refreshing. All and all a very solid effort from Avery and a very nice interpretation of the style. Not as legendary as some of their anniversary releases, but I am incredibly happy. At $9 a bomber, not something I am going to rock every hot spring day but I will probably kill at least a few more bottles before it vanishes.

The other one I want to mention(but won't go into quite as much detail) is Bison Brewing's Honey Basil Ale. Sounds weird yeah, but if you like Thai and particularly any dish featuring a lot of Thai basil this beer will change your life.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Due to some recommendations I picked up a bottle of sam adam's imperial stout. Wow is all I can say. Very creamy and very smooth. A rich, very rich dark beer. One of the best stouts I've ever had. I only bought one bottle as they are like 11 bucks for 4. I will have to pick more up though.
    I've been eyeing the Sam Imp. Stout, it's making it's way to the top of my "to try" list.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Jetmech_63:
    Um last time I looked it was still illegal in most states to mail beer... yet odly enough you can get it shipped to you so yea... unless the rules have changed sorry :(
    Hayblet:
    Jetmech_63:
    Um last time I looked it was still illegal in most states to mail beer... yet odly enough you can get it shipped to you so yea... unless the rules have changed sorry :(

Why ruin the beauty of the thing with legality?...Teddy Roosevelt
    Starting my last day off with Buffalo Bills Orange Creme. So refreshing!
  • Smoky the BearSmoky the Bear Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    There's a good little brewery up here in SW Montana called Madison River, they make scoth ale called Copper John that if you get the chance give it a go. I saw a couple Stone references and Arrogant *** is a favorite of mine although haven't been able to find it since I left Colorado. Big Sky Brewery in Missoula, MT makes a nut brown ale called Moose Drool that I can't get enough of, it's another one to put on the list.
    If you like a good Nut Brown, try Samuel Smiths, it's extremely balanced with a nice caramel finish. He also makes Oatmeal Stout, one of my top 3 beers under the glorious Old Rasputin!
    Having an Arrogant Basturd IPA. Deeelightful. Wish i had some Padadigm 262 to go with it. Would go down on a skunk for one right now but i'm broke d!ck and cant afford it. Aahhh military life
  • Smoky the BearSmoky the Bear Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    Jetmech_63:
    If you like a good Nut Brown, try Samuel Smiths, it's extremely balanced with a nice caramel finish. He also makes Oatmeal Stout, one of my top 3 beers under the glorious Old Rasputin!
    I've never seen Samuel Smiths, where is it brewed?