Home Non Cigar Related

The Beer Forum (It's really a thread but it sounds better this way)

Comments

• HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Rock Hill city of boredom
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Cool. Go Eagles! (my lil sister went to Winthrop). Rock Hill doesn't have a Greens or a Harvard's liquor/beverage store do they? If not, I bet you could find Terrapin in Charlotte.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    I refuse to let this thread die! :)

Been on a wee cider kick lately. Drinking a Blackthorn and following it up with a redbranch cherry cider....ridiculously good on a hot day!
    Jetmech_63:

Been on a wee cider kick lately. Drinking a Blackthorn and following it up with a redbranch cherry cider....ridiculously good on a hot day!
    I love Woodchuck on draft, seriously good stuff.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    nothin fancy tonight for me boys. Just some ice cold miller lite poured into a frosty pint glass.... easily the best way to drink it outside of draught. Havin one of those and my Dominico by Torano probably.
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    Last night I had a couple Fat tires a couple flying dog wheats and some miller lite.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    The drink line up lately has been Sam Adam Cream Stout, Stone imperial russian stout, ten fidy imperial stout and a fair amount of cherry cider.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    So, I'm moving two weeks from today, and a girl at work bought me a 10 pack mixpack of IPA's for me to try so I can load up on ones I like before I move back to MS. So far I've had
    1. Southern Tier 2XIPA, which was excellent. Very very strong hop flavor.
    2. Boulder Beer "Hazed & Infused", another good IPA.
    3. Boulder Beer "Mojo". strongest so far at 7.5% abv
    4. Sierra Nevada Brown Ale - not a fan. Doesn't surprise me, as it reminds me of Newcastle, which I didn't like either.
    5. Lagunitas "A Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale" - excellent IPA. Best I've had so far of this sampler.
    6. Flying Dog Raging B*tch - ok, not my favorite so far.

only 6 more to go. I'm seriously looking forward the the Victory HopDevil and Victory HopWallop and the Dogfishead 90 minute IPA though.
    cholmes8310:
    So, I'm moving two weeks from today, and a girl at work bought me a 10 pack mixpack of IPA's for me to try so I can load up on ones I like before I move back to MS. So far I've had
    4. Sierra Nevada Brown Ale - not a fan. Doesn't surprise me, as it reminds me of Newcastle, which I didn't like either.

only 6 more to go. I'm seriously looking forward the the Victory HopDevil and Victory HopWallop and the Dogfishead 90 minute IPA though.
    Hey cholmes have you tried sierra nevada pale ale? Dogfishhead 90 as is the DFH 60
    wwestern:
    cholmes8310:
    5. Lagunitas "A Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale" - excellent IPA. Best I've had so far.
    6. Flying Dog Raging *** - ok, not my favorite so far.

Hey cholmes have you tried sierra nevada pale ale? Dogfishhead 90 as is the DFH 60
    yeah, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my go to IPA at the corner market here. I have had the DFH 60, but not the 90
    I like your choices of beer Chase
    Wow finally got around to trying the chimay trappist last night.... this really is a must try a little pricey but damn nice.
    cholmes8310:
    5. Lagunitas "A Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale" - excellent IPA. Best I've had so far of this sampler.
    6. Flying Dog Raging B*tch - ok, not my favorite so far.

ok i've finished all 10. The last ones were:
    7. Boulder India Brown Ale - not a fan, again. Brown's just aren't for me.
    8. Victory Hopdevil - very good, very bitter IPA.
    9. Victory HopWallop - even stronger than Hopdevil, with more hoppy flavor but less bitter.
    10. Dogfishead 90 minute Imperial Pale Ale - darker than any of the other IPA's, and very good as well, with more of a roasted malt flavor than hops.

I will be buying several cases to take to MS with me, and they will be, in order of my favorites: Southern Tier 2xIPA, Lagunita A little Sumpin Sumpin Ale, Dogfishead 90 min Imperial, and Victory HopWallop. All of these were very good though, except for the browns.

Anyone care to explain the difference in Imperial and India Pale Ale?

Here is a pic of all the brews, in order of favorites (except move the Victory HopWallop in front of Boulder Mojo)

Imperial I believe refers to alchohol and in IIPA's it usually means more hops. If you like the IIPA's you should try to find some "Old Pliny"
  • BStayerBStayer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 318
    cholmes8310:
    ...Anyone care to explain the difference in Imperial and India Pale Ale?...
    Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing Co. mostly gets the credit for creating the Imperial IPA style. Vinnie said he was working with mash when he accidently dumped 50% too much malt into the batch. To counter-balance it, he added 100% more hops and hence, the style was born. The term imperial simply means 'bigger' or 'more'. It pertains to more than just ABV though and because of this, the style can also be called a Double IPA, since it has double the hops of a regular IPA. Arguably, the best name might be San Diego Pale Ale since most beers of this style are made in California and since it is likely that is where the style was born.

As mentioned before, if you like IIPA's, you need to try Pliny the Elder brewed by Vinnie. It's a bit difficult to come by, but it's one of the best beers in the world, period.

If you're not sure why any beer is called an IPA, read this. It does a decent enough job explaining it.
    Thank you B I knew Old Pliny didn't sound right. I brewed an IIPA I've been conditioning for about a year should be ready send me a PM with your address cholmes if you want some.
    BStayer:
    cholmes8310:
    ...Anyone care to explain the difference in Imperial and India Pale Ale?...
    Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing Co. mostly gets the credit for creating the Imperial IPA style. Vinnie said he was working with mash when he accidently dumped 50% too much malt into the batch. To counter-balance it, he added 100% more hops and hence, the style was born. The term imperial simply means 'bigger' or 'more'. It pertains to more than just ABV though and because of this, the style can also be called a Double IPA, since it has double the hops of a regular IPA. Arguably, the best name might be San Diego Pale Ale since most beers of this style are made in California and since it is likely that is where the style was born.

As mentioned before, if you like IIPA's, you need to try Pliny the Elder brewed by Vinnie. It's a bit difficult to come by, but it's one of the best beers in the world, period.

If you're not sure why any beer is called an IPA, read this. It does a decent enough job explaining it.
    I thought it had to do with the higher malt content. I knew it wasn't based solely on ABV, although most Imperial's I've had have been higher ABV. I just knew most are darker in color and have "maltier" flavor. Thanks for the explanation though. Definitely makes sense.

Although I'm not a big Imperial Stout drinker, I do enjoy them every now and then, and this is my next to try (if I can find it) - Avery Mephistopheles Stout (15.2% ABV)
  • SquatchitoSquatchito Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    cholmes8310:
    Although I'm not a big Imperial Stout drinker, I do enjoy them every now and then, and this is my next to try (if I can find it) - Avery Mephistopheles Stout (15.2% ABV)

Mephistopheles is some serious, serious business. Easily one of the heaviest beers I've ever had. . . seriously, you should fast before tackling it. I don't have much in the way of experience with the many of the other super ABV stouts, but gravity wise Meph was the most noticeable. I think you could pour it in a bowl and drink it with a fork with little issue.

A great sipper to close out an evening. Delivers a ton of complexity whilst remaining smooth and hiding the alcohol surprisingly well.
    Squatchito:
    cholmes8310:

Mephistopheles is some serious, serious business. Easily one of the heaviest beers I've ever had. . . seriously, you should fast before tackling it. I don't have much in the way of experience with the many of the other super ABV stouts, but gravity wise Meph was the most noticeable. I think you could pour it in a bowl and drink it with a fork with little issue.

A great sipper to close out an evening. Delivers a ton of complexity whilst remaining smooth and hiding the alcohol surprisingly well.
    AWESOME! Makes me want to try it that much more. God I hope the B&M here has it (but probably not until december 1st, since that's when it's normally released)
    Ok I'm totally drooling over this and I know I can't find it around it I would love to trade for a few of these!
    Hayblet:
    Ok I'm totally drooling over this and I know I can't find it around it I would love to trade for a few of these!
    which ones? The Mephistopheles? If the local shop has them, I could pick one up for ya. Not sure how I'd ship it though? Anyone ever shipped beer?
    cholmes8310:
    Hayblet:
    which ones? The Mephistopheles? If the local shop has them, I could pick one up for ya. Not sure how I'd ship it though? Anyone ever shipped beer?
    Yar the Mephistopheles, was a seriously awesome review that guy drew up and I think it would pair nicely with a Ruination though the beer might last longer lol
    Hayblet:
    cholmes8310:
    Hayblet:
    Yar the Mephistopheles, was a seriously awesome review that guy drew up and I think it would pair nicely with a Ruination though the beer might last longer lol
    Avery distributes in SC Hayblet. May check around some liqour stores. Here is the link to their site. They have some other "Demons of Ale" as well. All above 14% ABV
    Well I >believe< SC is one of those states with the high ABV law but I'll check out the spot I found somewhat close to me
  • SquatchitoSquatchito Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    cholmes8310:
    Hayblet:
    Technically, the shipping of beer is not something the Federales take kindly to. That said, strictly hypothetically speaking, if you were to create an online account with a major non-government operated shipping company, and then utilize said account to print your own shipping labels, and then CAREFULLY wrap a beer and place it into a box in such a way that it didn't shift around and had plenty of padding, then take said box to a drop off location of aforementioned shipping company with shipping label attached, hypothetically, you would most likely enjoy great success shipping beer.
    Squatchito:
    cholmes8310:

F'n RIGHT!!!! My local shop has the Mephistopheles. Going by tomorrow. Picked up these today.

Drank one of these tonight. Definitely not for me. Had almost a syrupy sweetness undertones with full in-your-face alcohol flavor up front. This one was bottled in '08, so had a couple years aging. Not sure what the ABV is on these, but I believe it's over 20%. Paid $18 for this one just to try it at a local brewhouse.

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    We used to do a lot of beer trading on another forum I used to frequent. We always put each bottle in a ziplock bag to prevent leaks and wrapped them carefully. Boxes with dividers work well (like wine cases). Print labels online and just drop it off at the shipping place. If asked about the contents, they are "yeast samples".
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Jetmech_63:

Haven't seen a cherry cider... is it primarily apple with cherry added? I've got ten gallons of my own homemade cider on tap.