Home Non Cigar Related

The Beer Forum (It's really a thread but it sounds better this way)

Comments

• HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Sierra Nevada Summerfest is pretty good, also Blue Moon works (imo) as a good Summer beer too.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Jetmech_63:
    Had my first he'brew jewbilation today. 13 malts, 13 hops, and 13% alcohol, wow great taste just be careful when you stand up :)
    I am going to have to try it, any beer that has 13% is my type of beer, any beer that i have to drink a 24 pack to catch a buz image
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Hayblet:
    Sierra Nevada Summerfest is pretty good, also Blue Moon works (imo) as a good Summer beer too.
    +1 on Blue Moon , dont forget to put orange in it ;)
  • StratSlingerStratSlinger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5

So what makes a good beer/cigar pairing?  I'm currently still leaning towards the mild side of medium bodies smokes, and I really dig malty brews - IPA's are way too hoppy for my pallette.

I tried pairing a Romeo y Julieta Cedros #2 with a porter the other day, but the porter itself was actually a little disappointing and probably not a good indicator of whether the two would really pair up well...

• illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Havin a Unibroue Maudite... never heard of it but it came in a 4 beer taster pack my friend got for me.. great red ale... wish I had a case!
    illinoisgolf99:
    Havin a Unibroue Maudite... never heard of it but it came in a 4 beer taster pack my friend got for me.. great red ale... wish I had a case!

PS if anyone has heard of this beer, knows who brews it, who distributes it, etc. let me know!
    just finished up the rest of my Unibroue taster pack... all I can say is kudos to this company, I found out they are based out of Canada and I love their beer, its a bit pricey but well worth it so try it out if you get the chance, especially the Maudite!
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    StratSlinger:

So what makes a good beer/cigar pairing?  I'm currently still leaning towards the mild side of medium bodies smokes, and I really dig malty brews - IPA's are way too hoppy for my pallette.

I tried pairing a Romeo y Julieta Cedros #2 with a porter the other day, but the porter itself was actually a little disappointing and probably not a good indicator of whether the two would really pair up well...

Personal opinion is that stouts and porters go better with fuller bodied, fuller flavored cigars. For mediums I would recommend more ales or lagers. Just my $.02...
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Shipyard Summer. Not bad, but the flavors are a little flat.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale... It certainly is one of the better beers I have ever had. It is the perfect balance of everything I love in beer. I absolutely recommend that everyone try some of this!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bigbgballz:
    Jetmech_63:
    Had my first he'brew jewbilation today. 13 malts, 13 hops, and 13% alcohol, wow great taste just be careful when you stand up :)
    I am going to have to try it, any beer that has 13% is my type of beer, any beer that i have to drink a 24 pack to catch a buz image
    i am not 100% on this but i was under the assumption that once you reached 12%-13% ABV you are now talking about a wine.

....though this would be a malt and hops flavored wine but a wine by technicality none-the-less

ive been drinking a bunch of Salvator by Polaner (i hope i didnt reverse that) as of late. if you happen to find it, check it out. its got some nice flavors to it and some things that not every beer has.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    kuzi16:
    ive been drinking a bunch of Salvator by Polaner (i hope i didnt reverse that) as of late. if you happen to find it, check it out. its got some nice flavors to it and some things that not every beer has.
    Is that one a wheat beer? I know Paulaner specializes in wheats. I have had a few by them, all of them wheat beers, and they were alright. I am not a fan of almost all wheat beers but Paulaner seems to do a decent job with them...
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    My dad got me a case of Legends Lager for my birthday... I love it.
    You guys know of any other brews with that almost caramel taste?
    Admittedly I'm not huge into beer I'll pick up a case every now and then but I haven't studied it much.

ejenne87:
    kuzi16:
    Is that one a wheat beer? I know Paulaner specializes in wheats. I have had a few by them, all of them wheat beers, and they were alright. I am not a fan of almost all wheat beers but Paulaner seems to do a decent job with them...
    this one is a Doppelbock,
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Rounding out the weekend with Rouge Hazelnut Brown. Holy crap! I thought i knew what a good brown ale was....this stuff rocks. The hazelnut is nothing more than a faint note on the finish and a little through the nose as the beer warms up a bit but hazelnut aside, this is killer brew!
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Man, I made a huge mistake this weekend. Pickup up Magic Hat Summer Brew. It was NASTY!!! I shoulda paid attention when I bought it though. As soon as I opened the first one, I noticed it said, made with beet juice. Who wants beet flavored beer? Beets are not what I think about when I buy a "crisp summer brew". Took two sips, threw it out, and threw out the whole six pack.
    Having my very last can of Monk's Blood from 21st amendment.....just spent the last 20 minutes gogling it and it is oficially sold out everywhere. Brewed with cinnamon, vanilla, oak chips and figs....all in a dark belgian strong ale.....legendary good....why in the hell dont they make this anymore!!!!!
  • SquatchitoSquatchito Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    Haven't been around for a little while, but had to post this, just got it in a few minutes ago!

• Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Squatchito:
    Haven't been around for a little while, but had to post this, just got it in a few minutes ago!

J1ZZ
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    Found a 6-er of Terrapin Hopsecutioner in the store and snatched it up. Paired it up last night with a 5V Classic and was very, very pleased.

Not sure if they distribute nationally or not but for any IPA lovers out there this is one to try. As you can guess the hop flavor is very intense, but also exceptionally blended.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    I've had the Rye Pale Ale and absolutely love it, but haven't had the Hopsecutioner yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Terrapin is pretty much limited to the southeast (I'm in SC and can find it), but I'm not 100% sure on that.
  • SquatchitoSquatchito Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    Just cracked that sumbitch open, and I am pretty impressed. Definitely English in its influences and flavors. Dry and sharp with distinctive English hop presence. Grassy and citrus pith with subtle floral notes. Slightly salty flavor is present, especially on the end. What really gets me is how well hidden the booze is, it is scary. Really nice mouthfeel, no hop oil slick, just a medium light body that dances across the tongue.

I am usually pretty bored with English IPA, but this I can get behind. I love our hops, but it is nice to get something with a ton of English hop presence to really pick up some of their nuances. Certainly recommended, but then again, what does Stone make that you wouldn't at least try?
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Heavy:
    I've had the Rye Pale Ale and absolutely love it, but haven't had the Hopsecutioner yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Terrapin is pretty much limited to the southeast (I'm in SC and can find it), but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    can't say I've seen Terrapin anywhere around me where do you find it? Same for the Rye Pale Ale...(edit) been awhile since I did a beer run to be honest.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Shipyard summer ale
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    Just going to bump the Spotted Cow or anything else New Glarus related.
  • DragonsGraceDragonsGrace Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    Tonight will be a couple of pints of Moose Drool I think.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    Ive been drinking Rogue like a motha focka! But I do like Coney Island brews. The last beer that I loved was from Brew Dog....it was different but amazing. I cant even find it on their list hmmm. It was with Guarana, Honey, and some other weird ingredients.
    North Coast Brother Thelonius....im diggin it. Not really a summer beer....but then i'm usually the guy drinking imperial stout when it's 105 outside too :)
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Hayblet:
    Heavy:
    can't say I've seen Terrapin anywhere around me where do you find it? Same for the Rye Pale Ale...(edit) been awhile since I did a beer run to be honest.
    I'm in Spartanburg and my Ingles actually sometimes has the Rye Pale Ale. Otherwise I can find it at Total Wine in Greenville. Not sure about Green's but I wouldn't be surprised if they have it. Where in South Cackalacky are you?