Home Non Cigar Related

The Beer Forum (It's really a thread but it sounds better this way)

Comments

• ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    phobicsquirrel:
    Due to some recommendations I picked up a bottle of sam adam's imperial stout. Wow is all I can say. Very creamy and very smooth. A rich, very rich dark beer. One of the best stouts I've ever had. I only bought one bottle as they are like 11 bucks for 4. I will have to pick more up though.

Oh boy... love stouts and bocks - gonna have to try some of this. Seems like I always have a bit of Shiner bock around that's a good one.

• SquatchitoSquatchito Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    Seem to be a great many Stone fans here, I come bearing good news:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/11335187

Been a couple of years since they did and IPA for the Anni, very much looking forward to it. I anticipate they will simply be utilizing English ingredients and treated water, but constructed in the American Style, that is to say ton o' hop.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Jetmech_63:
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:
    Sweet! Now that means i can bomb you guys with beer!...... and dont think for a second i'm kidding!!!!
    Now i know you have been gone for quite a long time and you are getting to be a little older and forgetful, but you dont wanna start a bombing war with me ;) I'm not against blowing up senior citizens and/or veterans... Or canadians for that matter! My wrath hath no boundries :D

Sandbags beeyatch....get them :)
    you made a believer out of me master! i have much to learn....
    Tried the Full Sail Session Beers last night. The Session Lager was rather dull and uninteresting. But, it is designed to be drank consistently over the course of a day, pretty solid so far as "lawnmower" beer. It does have a bit more depth, and much less lager skunk than the big macros, but if that floats your boat I wouldn't go out of my way for this or spend the extra money on it. On the overall I would compare it most closely to Red Stripe, very quaffable and refreshing. If you were dragging a cooler to the beach or a boat a few of these could find a home there easily.

The Session Black Lager . . . this is a whole different story. I was really quite impressed with this one. There isn't a great deal of Shwartzbier out there and of the Black IPAs making there way on to the scene I have yet to have one I really liked. But this little guy(in its charming 11oz twist off stubby bottle) is worth giving a go. It has a surprising amount of flavor for a lighter beer. Nice nuances of chocolate and coffee but it doesn't sit heavy in your gut. Now, if you can polish off 4 Rasputins over the course of a beer session, more power too you. If you are like me and you can't and you want something for a party, BBQ, or wherever you may find yourself for many hours this one would be a great choice.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:
    Sweet! Now that means i can bomb you guys with beer!...... and dont think for a second i'm kidding!!!!
    Now i know you have been gone for quite a long time and you are getting to be a little older and forgetful, but you dont wanna start a bombing war with me ;) I'm not against blowing up senior citizens and/or veterans... Or canadians for that matter! My wrath hath no boundries :D

Enjoy the Rasputin, it's heaven in a bottle, actually i'm about to pick some more up. Right now i'm having a Blackthorn Cider. I reep some cider on hand for when i'm in the mood, very refreshing after working hard around the house all day. Now if i only had some paradigm's life would be good.
    Jetmech_63:
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:
    Alex Williams:
    Jetmech_63:

Enjoy the Rasputin, it's heaven in a bottle, actually i'm about to pick some more up. Right now i'm having a Blackthorn Cider. I reep some cider on hand for when i'm in the mood, very refreshing after working hard around the house all day. Now if i only had some paradigm's life would be good.
    I actually had some cider today myself. Can't remember the brands, and I don't drink them often myself. But, I didn't get out of bed till late today and decided that they would be nice with a pre-cigar breakfast. I was very pleased, may try brewing some at some point.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I picked up a 6-pack of Stone IPA today, as well as a 6-pack mixer of different stouts/porters. I grabbed a few of the Samuel Smith's that I haven't had yet, including the Oatmeal Stout. I also picked up a 6-pack of Bell's Oberon for my friend who really loves the stuff.

I am currently drinking some Duck Rabbit Brown Ale and it is pretty delicious so far.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    ejenne87:
    I picked up a 6-pack of Stone IPA today, as well as a 6-pack mixer of different stouts/porters. I grabbed a few of the Samuel Smith's that I haven't had yet, including the Oatmeal Stout. I also picked up a 6-pack of Bell's Oberon for my friend who really loves the stuff.

I am currently drinking some Duck Rabbit Brown Ale and it is pretty delicious so far.
    Everything Sam Smith's does is solid. Love the Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown. Bell's Oberon is my official sign of Spring. I will not lie, over the course of the last couple of years this have been my favorite go to for spring/summer. That said, I am not exceptionally fond of this years batch. Too much malt, not enough hoppiness that always made it great, and most importantly it is missing that glorious citrusy orange presence that has been so prevalent over the last few batches. These nuances have been the calling cards of Oberon forever and this year missed the mark.

I do sincerely hope you enjoy it. It is literally painful for me to admit that I have not enjoyed this batch.
    So the Duck Rabbit Brown Ale turned out to be not so delicious, but it wasn't bad. I don't kn ow what it was about it but as soon as it got a little warmer and opened up more it wasn't very enjoyable.

I am now drinking some Duck Rabbit Milk Stout and this stuff is fantastic! I can't believe it has taken me this long to try it out. I have become a fan of stouts lately and this one is pretty great. I know Samuel Smith's is pretty famous for their stouts so I am REALLY looking forward to trying them out tonight as well.
    Picked up some Anderson Valley Oatmeal stout, Youngs Double Chocloate....more Rasputin....., some new stuff called Bannana Bread Beer....what the hell, i'll try anything, and Samuel Smith Imperial Russian....imapatiently waiting for that to get cold :)
    Jetmech_63:
    Picked up some Anderson Valley Oatmeal stout, Youngs Double Chocloate....more Rasputin....., some new stuff called Bannana Bread Beer....what the hell, i'll try anything, and Samuel Smith Imperial Russian....imapatiently waiting for that to get cold :)
    That Youngs Dbl is pretty nice stuff. And I have had that Banana Bread beer, and it tastes surprisingly close to banana bread... You might enjoy it more than I did, but I thought it was WAY over the top and kinda gross...
    I am right in the middle of a bottle of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout right now and this is a phenomenal beer! I have a Nut Brown Ale and a Tanny Porter left by Samuel Smith's and I hope they are as good as this one is!
    ejenne87:
    I am right in the middle of a bottle of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout right now and this is a phenomenal beer! I have a Nut Brown Ale and a Tanny Porter left by Samuel Smith's and I hope they are as good as this one is!

I havent been disappoint yet by Sam Smith, i cant waith to open the Imperial Stout of theirs! I had a feeling the bannana bread one may be over done, i saw a guy buying a case of it and thought i'd give it a whirl....was on sale too :)
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Bannana bread beer....not bad, tastes a whole lot like bannana bread. Kinda interesting but not something i could drink all of the time. Michelob Honey is actaully really good as well, had some of that for the first time yesterday.
    I come bearing more good news. Distributor here in VA got in Stone Russian Imperial Stout. I am sure most other states carrying their stuff will have it on shelves this week, if it isn't already there. This is a MUST try for stout fans, truly excellent stuff.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I had another Sam Adams over the weekend.. The Double Boch!!! wow this stuff is fantastic. It's another beer in the Imperial Series. There's also a Belgium white which I need to try next.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 783
    Anoy of you folks try anything from New Glarus. I'm looking forward to a few spotted cows this evening. Try to pick some up whenever I go to WI. They don't sell i here in MN.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Had some moylans IPA last night that was very good. Also had a red ale that was frickin awesome but I can't remember who made it.
    Luko:
    Had some moylans IPA last night that was very good. Also had a red ale that was frickin awesome but I can't remember who made it.

Try the imperial stout from Moylans....Kiltlifter is also pretty good but the stout is wonderful!
    Started the night with my beloved Rasputin(try yours yet alex?) and switched to Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. It's not samuel smiths but it is excellent in its own right. Almost a tad of a watered down finish after drinking a Rasputin. I also found some Stone russian imperial stout. Cant wait for that to get cold!
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Jetmech_63:
    Started the night with my beloved Rasputin(try yours yet alex?) and switched to Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. It's not samuel smiths but it is excellent in its own right. Almost a tad of a watered down finish after drinking a Rasputin. I also found some Stone russian imperial stout. Cant wait for that to get cold!
    Nope not yet but tommorrow will be the day I think! I had the orange cream one last Saturday morning and I have to say it was like someone threw an entire orange in there! Very refreshing. A few nights ago I had the samuel smiths and it was AMAZING. The only bad part was j couldn't figure out how to open the damn thing :) Tpday I had the moylan's imperial stout and it was very tasty. I think I would like it better in a smaller bottle because by the time I finish the first half, the second half had warmed up. Then j feel like I should hurry and that makes me enjoy it a little less. So far, my favorite is the moylan's followed VERY closely by the oatmeal stout.
    Yeah the orange creme is an excellent morning beer(beer...not just for breakfast anymore), with the big bottles i pour a beer glass full and put the rest in the fridege for a top off later on. Enjoy the Rasputin, it's by far my favorite. I need to send you some stone imerial along with a few others that have been grabbing my interest over here.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    sirfoster83:
    Anoy of you folks try anything from New Glarus. I'm looking forward to a few spotted cows this evening. Try to pick some up whenever I go to WI. They don't sell i here in MN.

The spotted cow is amazing! I would also suggest anything under the capital brewery line next time you're in WI. All have been very good IMHO.
    Jetmech_63:
    Nice. Rocked 1/2 of a 22 tonight, just as tasty as I remembered. On the rare occasion I get a hankering for a black and tan. Tonight was one of those nights, and as such I got down with some Oskar Blues Gubna and some of the remaining Stone RIS. Nothing better than 2 epics combining efforts for beer nirvana. I was in my happy place.
    Squatchito:
    Jetmech_63:
    Nice. Rocked 1/2 of a 22 tonight, just as tasty as I remembered. On the rare occasion I get a hankering for a black and tan. Tonight was one of those nights, and as such I got down with some Oskar Blues Gubna and some of the remaining Stone RIS. Nothing better than 2 epics combining efforts for beer nirvana. I was in my happy place.

Havent had mine yet, but i did crack into a Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout....damn! This guy just doenst make anything that isnt awesome. Close to Rasputin but not as hoppy on the finish....more of a malty finish but definatley a big beer. I really enjoyed it. I need to go get some North Coast Brother Thelonious....it's finally on sale.
    So i just got done with Stone russian imperial....WOW!!! This IS good brew! Almost a salty-ish finish but its balanced with a molasses note. More carbonation than expected but not in a bad way and you could tastes Stone's hoppy-ness the whole way through....if you've drang Stone before....you'll know what i'm talking about. I'm getting more....lots more! I'd like to line up Stone, Sam smith and Rasputin in row one day and compare all the imperial stouts...maybe with a hearty maduro. Any takers :)
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    grabbed a six-pack of Stone Ruination IPA earlier this week. Wow this stuff is ridiculous. I'm a huge fan - if only it wasn't so dang expensive! $15 for a six-pack is a bit rough!
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Yeah, Stone tends to be expensive by the sixer which is why I try to find them in singles when I go to try "new" blends by them since sometimes they don't always hit one out of the park... more the less the infield.