Home Non Cigar Related

Puro's Rants

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Ready for this one?
    Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

this will establish fees to get a license to own a gun (since when do we have to pay for a RIGHT granted in the bill of rights?)
    they can inspect your home to ensure that your guns are stored "legally".
    ...uhhh 4th amendment mean anything to you?

if you fail to register that you have a gun you can go to jail for 2 years....
    two years for exercising your right to keep and bear arms.

....from my cold dead hands.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    gun control means never having to say, "I missed you". And for the record, the Bill of Rights doesn't grant them, it enumerates and guarantees our God-given rights.

Looks like I'm going to jail for about 180 years, then.
    zoom6zoom:
    the Bill of Rights doesn't grant them, it enumerates and guarantees our God-given rights.
    ya know, after preaching on and on for pages in this thread about what is and what is not a right and why they are rights, youd think that i wouldnt have made that mistake. good eye. great point.

i mean ive said it before:
    kuzi16:
    a “right” is something that is an integral part of us, innate, and thus “unalienable,” and NOT something that is devised, given, or granted. Because it is innate, it can’t be given to us. By the same token, it can’t be taken away by other people, organizations, or governments, either.
    and
    kuzi16:
    you cannot derive rights from the legal system, because this implies that if you live somewhere like N Korea then you have no rights. The reality is, North Koreans do have rights, which are being violated by their government.
    The legal system exists to protect our rights; it does not create them, but merely describes and codifies rights that already exist.
    Rights are also not created by claims; rights simply are.

on that note... it seems that i was also a bit lax on my initial post on this topic. this bill apparently has been around for a bit (since 07) but is failing to even get a cosponsor. it cant even make it into committee because it so unpopular.

i guess that the only thing here is that we now know that this nut job idea exists.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    kuzi16:
    this will establish fees to get a license to own a gun (since when do we have to pay for a RIGHT granted in the bill of rights?)

My take on this bill, and most bills, is that the initial reasonings are good. A minor pulled a gun on a school bus and shot at the kids while another kid died. If I understand this right, the proposed solution is to violate the rest of us and our rights for some parent or gaurdians neglect and ignorance.
    kuzi16:
    on that note... it seems that i was also a bit lax on my initial post on this topic. this bill apparently has been around for a bit (since 07) but is failing to even get a cosponsor.

I'm absolutely thrilled that this hasn't been able to pass, I was worried there for a second. I'm so tired of having to constantly pay with my money and my rights for someone elses mistakes. I know that we'll probably be paying for other peoples mistakes for quite some time, but does it have to be all the time?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    zoom6zoom:
    Looks like I'm going to jail for about 180 years, then.

See ya there!!! I'll bring the cigars :)

Seriously, i've heard of this one and i dont think it will pass but i still keep an eye on it.

So they find it too hard to control our guns....why not go after ammo!!

CA AB 962- Makes it illegal to transfer more than 50 rounds of ammo even between family and friends per month unles you are "registered"(i smell a fee too) as a ammo dealer in CA DOJ's database. Here's the other kicker...it would ban mail order ammunition as well.

Wonder if i can have a humi in jail....
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    kuzi16:
    Ready for this one?
    Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

they can inspect your home to ensure that your guns are stored "legally".
    ...uhhh 4th amendment mean anything to you?

if you fail to register that you have a gun you can go to jail for 2 years....
    two years for exercising your right to keep and bear arms.

....from my cold dead hands.
    Just be glad you don't live in MA. I moved up here from TN, and supposedly have to pay $100.00 for a Firearm Identification Card, and register all my guns. I'll be DAMNED! I still haven't done it, and don't plan on it. I'll just take the guns back home until I move back south. I'm not giving the government all the info they need to find my guns in case they ever do decide to try and ban them like Britain.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Well I am kind of torn on the whole gun control thing since I am in Law Enforcement. On one hand I think citizens have the right to protect their homes and families, but on the other hand...

I don't know if the people who propose gun control laws should be hung, or beat to death. Tough choice isn't it? hehe
    cholmes8310:
    Just be glad you don't live in MA.
    Grew up there, and most of my family still lives there. Non-resident carry permit is $100 and it's only good for a year. I'd have to sell a lot of my collection if I wanted to move back. I'm sure my beltfed would qualify as a "high-capacity" device.

Gonna be building some more AK's this weekend... he he.
    Purofreak:
    Well I am kind of torn on the whole gun control thing since I am in Law Enforcement. On one hand I think citizens have the right to protect their homes and families, but on the other hand...
    As we like to say down here, "when seconds count, the cops are just minutes away". You guys do a good job (well, most of ya!) but you can't be everywhere at once. And remember, it's not about the guns... it's about the control. Of every aspect of our lives if we let them get away with it.
    zoom6zoom:
    cholmes8310:
    Just be glad you don't live in MA.
    Grew up there, and most of my family still lives there. Non-resident carry permit is $100 and it's only good for a year. I'd have to sell a lot of my collection if I wanted to move back. I'm sure my beltfed would qualify as a "high-capacity" device.

Gonna be building some more AK's this weekend... he he.
    Purofreak:
    As we like to say down here, "when seconds count, the cops are just minutes away". You guys do a good job (well, most of ya!) but you can't be everywhere at once. And remember, it's not about the guns... it's about the control. Of every aspect of our lives if we let them get away with it.
    I agree with ya 100%. I can't imagine how anyone could be so misinformed that they would believe gun control laws would actually help reduce crime. All gun control laws do is make it harder for honest people to protect themselves. Blaming guns for death is like blaming Huslter for my sprained wrist!
    whats that old saying?

guns dont kill people
    ...I kill people

49% Oppose Health Care Reform Plan, 46% Favor It

as with all polls, take it with a grain of salt.

• 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    kuzi16:
    whats that old saying?

guns dont kill people
    ...I kill people
    Teacher I swear I knew the right answer it's my pencil that made me get it wrong.
    Haha, I found this story and thought it was funny as hell! Kinda a nice break from the normal political rants!

MANCHESTER, N.H. — A New Hampshire man says he swiped his debit card at a gas station to buy a pack of cigarettes and was charged over 23 quadrillion dollars.

Josh Muszynski checked his account online a few hours after the purchase and saw the 17-digit number — a stunning $23,148,855,308,184,500 (twenty-three quadrillion, one hundred forty-eight trillion, eight hundred fifty-five billion, three hundred eight million, one hundred eighty-four thousand, five hundred dollars).

Muszynski told WMUR-TV that he spent two hours on the phone with Bank of America trying to sort out the string of numbers — and the $15 overdraft fee.

The bank corrected the error the next day.

Bank of America said the card issuer, Visa, could answer questions. Visa, in turn, referred questions to the bank.
    PuroFreak:
    Haha, I found this story and thought it was funny as hell! Kinda a nice break from the normal political rants!

MANCHESTER, N.H. — A New Hampshire man says he swiped his debit card at a gas station to buy a pack of cigarettes and was charged over 23 quadrillion dollars.

Josh Muszynski checked his account online a few hours after the purchase and saw the 17-digit number — a stunning $23,148,855,308,184,500 (twenty-three quadrillion, one hundred forty-eight trillion, eight hundred fifty-five billion, three hundred eight million, one hundred eighty-four thousand, five hundred dollars).

Muszynski told WMUR-TV that he spent two hours on the phone with Bank of America trying to sort out the string of numbers — and the $15 overdraft fee.

Bank of America said the card issuer, Visa, could answer questions. Visa, in turn, referred questions to the bank.
    thats one hell of an expensive pack of smokes.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    PuroFreak:

NOW we know how Obama's going to pay for his programs AND balance the budget ...thats a good one Puro ...
  • 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    [dr. evil voice]You can have your cigarettes....for 23 quadrillion dollars!!!![/dr. evil voice]
    Shhhhh! Nobody tell Obama what comes after a trillion! I guess the new tobacco tax just kicked in!
    I guess the outrageous smoking taxes aren't the only way they are going to try and pay for it... Looks like they are going to financially rape the upper class in our country as well.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07162009/news/regionalnews/dem_health_rx_a_poion_pill_in_ny_179525.htm
    57%

that sucks.

NY is gunna lose a bunch of wealth on this. they're all gunna move out.
    kuzi16:
    57%

that sucks.

NY is gunna lose a bunch of wealth on this. they're all gunna move out.
    Yea, it will drive a lot of jobs out of NY as well. I read that is 25% of the people effected by the tax increases leave, the tax revenue for NY will be cut in half. That would HURT!
    that is a big IF though.

there are advantages to doing business in NY. there are also things that cant/wont move out. i think about 10% is a more reasonable guess at high end of Tax flight. even so, that would mean about a 25% cut in tax base. that might spur MORE taxes. NY will begin to look like California an Michigan before too long if that trend continues.
    kuzi16:
    that is a big IF though.

there are advantages to doing business in NY. there are also things that cant/wont move out. i think about 10% is a more reasonable guess at high end of Tax flight. even so, that would mean about a 25% cut in tax base. that might spur MORE taxes. NY will begin to look like California an Michigan before too long if that trend continues.
    Oh I agree totally that 25% is a very high figure that would never happen, but you are correct, they could change the name to California East the way they are going.

On another note, with California in the condition it is in, why are people trying to model our entire country after them? Because that is exactly what President Obama and the left are trying to do.
    its not about whats good for the country on either side. its now become about how they can keep power or get more. its no longer about the rights of the people its about control of the people and the money in order to retain power.

there is a provision that private health care cannot be changed or new policies created after the public option becomes law.

the text of page 16:

1 SEC. 102. PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT
    2 COVERAGE.
    3 (a) GRANDFATHERED HEALTH INSURANCE COV
    4 ERAGE DEFINED.—Subject to the succeeding provisions of
    5 this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable cov
    6 erage under this division, the term ‘‘grandfathered health
    7 insurance coverage’’ means individual health insurance
    8 coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the
    9 first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:
    10 (1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT.—
    11 (A) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in
    12 this paragraph, the individual health insurance
    13 issuer offering such coverage does not enroll
    14 any individual in such coverage if the first ef
    15 fective date of coverage is on or after the first
    16 day of Y1.
    17 (B) DEPENDENT COVERAGE PER
    18 MITTED.—Subparagraph (A) shall not affect
    19 the subsequent enrollment of a dependent of an
    20 individual who is covered as of such first day.
    21 (2) LIMITATION ON CHANGES IN TERMS OR
    22 CONDITIONS.—Subject to paragraph (3) and except
    23 as required by law, the issuer does not change any
    24 of its terms or conditions, including benefits and
    25 cost-sharing, from those in effect as of the day be
    26 fore the first day of Y1.

so much for not wiping out the private insurance option.

Full bill text
    kuzi16:
    there is a provision that private health care cannot be changed or new policies created after the public option becomes law.

the text of page 16:

1 SEC. 102. PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT
    2 COVERAGE.
    3 (a) GRANDFATHERED HEALTH INSURANCE COV
    4 ERAGE DEFINED.—Subject to the succeeding provisions of
    5 this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable cov
    6 erage under this division, the term ‘‘grandfathered health
    7 insurance coverage’’ means individual health insurance
    8 coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the
    9 first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:
    10 (1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT.—
    11 (A) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in
    12 this paragraph, the individual health insurance
    13 issuer offering such coverage does not enroll
    14 any individual in such coverage if the first ef
    15 fective date of coverage is on or after the first
    16 day of Y1.
    17 (B) DEPENDENT COVERAGE PER
    18 MITTED.—Subparagraph (A) shall not affect
    19 the subsequent enrollment of a dependent of an
    20 individual who is covered as of such first day.
    21 (2) LIMITATION ON CHANGES IN TERMS OR
    22 CONDITIONS.—Subject to paragraph (3) and except
    23 as required by law, the issuer does not change any
    24 of its terms or conditions, including benefits and
    25 cost-sharing, from those in effect as of the day be
    26 fore the first day of Y1.

so much for not wiping out the private insurance option.

Full bill text
    One of the biggest problems I have with this whole bill is that it names healthcare as a "Right" granted by the government. As we have stated on here before, the government CAN NOT GRANT RIGHTS! I found an interesting story on this that some of you may find interesting. Some of you may disagree totally, thats what makes this fun.

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=332548363747293
    from that article:
    what about our right to be left alone? The 10th Amendment — a real right — says: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution . . . are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

the Constitution was designed to protect the people from this type of government dominance.

also from the article:
    A "right," as we all know, has one key characteristic: It can't be taken away. Ever.

i know the point of this line. however, this line gives the impression that this is the only characteristic of a right.

this is a falsehood. other characteristics include:
    they dont cost anything
    they are self evident
    they cannot be granted or taken away, just violated.
    So this is what Teddy Kennedy and the rest of the left want to model our entire nation after?? How can anyone honestly support these people? We are facing a VERY dangerous situation.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/07/17/massachusetts-universal-health-care-cuts/
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    PuroFreak:
    So this is what Teddy Kennedy and the rest of the left want to model our entire nation after?? How can anyone honestly support these people? We are facing a VERY dangerous situation.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/07/17/massachusetts-universal-health-care-cuts/

More dangerous than I think most people realize ...
    gmill880:
    PuroFreak:

More dangerous than I think most people realize ...
    You are correct! And with the economy in the crapper and all the other problems we are facing, this is an even worse idea that it would normally be. Obama doesn't care though. His arrogance amazes me when it comes to his agenda. He is pushing back the budget report till mid-August because he knows it will hurt his chances to pass the 1+ Trillion dollar program.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MIDSUMMERS_BUDGET_NIGHTMARE?SITE=WSAW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT