Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Movie Trivia Pass

Comments

• ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    Martel:
    ejgorman:
    Martel:
    All this to say there is a film I wanted which they only had on DVD. I never bought this film on DVD, although I have it on VHS, still. It's a movie I want to see on a big screen more than any other. I passed up the chance once to see it on an IMAX screen and kind of kick myself for it (even though I hate IMAX only a little less than I hate 3D). And. They. Did. Not. Have. It.

Looks like Amazon is getting some business soon.

So, what movie is it that I want to see in 1080p, on a screen with intense blacks and great color contrast? I'll be giving hints once a day if no one can guess from this little bit of information...
    Going to guess Apollo 13 only because it was one of the first Hollywood blockbusters to come to IMAX and it's old enough to have still been released on VHS.
    Okay, hint #2...this film is obviously old enough to be on VHS, but it is also older than IMAX. IMAX will convert some films to show on their screens even if it wasn't shot in IMAX.
    Although it's technically not older than IMAX because of the additional scenes, the original pre-dates IMAX and would fit the bill for intense blacks and great color contrast. Going to guess Fantasia 2000 and if that's not it, I'm going to give others a crack at it.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    ejgorman:
    Martel:
    ejgorman:
    Martel:
    All this to say there is a film I wanted which they only had on DVD. I never bought this film on DVD, although I have it on VHS, still. It's a movie I want to see on a big screen more than any other. I passed up the chance once to see it on an IMAX screen and kind of kick myself for it (even though I hate IMAX only a little less than I hate 3D). And. They. Did. Not. Have. It.

So, what movie is it that I want to see in 1080p, on a screen with intense blacks and great color contrast? I'll be giving hints once a day if no one can guess from this little bit of information...
    Going to guess Apollo 13 only because it was one of the first Hollywood blockbusters to come to IMAX and it's old enough to have still been released on VHS.
    Okay, hint #2...this film is obviously old enough to be on VHS, but it is also older than IMAX. IMAX will convert some films to show on their screens even if it wasn't shot in IMAX.
    Although it's technically not older than IMAX because of the additional scenes, the original pre-dates IMAX and would fit the bill for intense blacks and great color contrast. Going to guess Fantasia 2000 and if that's not it, I'm going to give others a crack at it.
    I actually went and saw that one in IMAX. Good guess but wrong.
    Martel:
    ejgorman:
    Martel:
    ejgorman:
    Martel:

I actually went and saw that one in IMAX. Good guess but wrong.
    It's a war movie focusing on one central character.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Saving Private Ryan
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
    We Were Soldiers?
    No, no, and none of the PM's are right, either.

One major supporting character in my film was played by an actor who had a major supporting role in one of the incorrect guesses.
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    Schindler's List?
    Still nothing right. We're celebrating my birthday a few days early since I'll be out of town for a good chunk of the day on Wednesday, so I'll throw out a clue that this film was originally released about 15 years before I was born.
    Bridge Over River Kwai
    My final guess and I give up
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    The Manchurian Candidate?
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Frozen.Let it gooooooooooo!
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Rain:
    No_one21:
    Rain:
    God, how that snowman gives me the creeps! My kids sing songs from that movie nonstop. I don't see why everyone likes it so much; it's just another cartoon based on a fairy tale.

Rant over.

Still no correct answers. You guys are trying to narrow it down by date now. Some of you are getting closer in more ways than just time, too.

There's an ocean in this movie...
    Lawrence of Arabia
    rsherman24:
    Lawrence of Arabia
    An ocean which no oars have touched. Send me a PM Mr. Winner.
    Martel:
    rsherman24:
    Lawrence of Arabia
    An ocean which no oars have touched. Send me a PM Mr. Winner.

PM sent. Finally won something. I will pillage my memory for a trivia question today.
    An old favorite which I just came across and saved to my DVR.

80's film which was the debut movie for a future Oscar winner for Best Actor. He was 17 at the time.
    Fast times at Ridgmont High, lots of young actors in there and I am sure one of them won an oscar at some point
    FireRob:
    Fast times at Ridgmont High, lots of young actors in there and I am sure one of them won an oscar at some point

Seriously? 4 minutes with that clue to get it on the first guess?

Wow, you guy's are good. Send me a PM.
    Movie Trivia Win photo IMG_20140407_140949639_zpsypc13qex.jpg

Winnings from Patrick. Thanks man; I love me some Oliva. I've tried the LGC Serie N, but not the R. Torano is always solid. I look forward to smoking the others, too. Thanks.
    rsherman24:
    FireRob:

Seriously, I won???? So, who is the actor you’re in reference to? Sean Penn? If you ask me Pheobie Cates earned every penny she got for this film!

Did not expect to win, give me a min to think of my movie and clue……
    Going to be a little vague for now. But every so often I’ll give a new clue probably a couple times a day if the guesses are coming in. Should not be that hard.

Clue #1 It’s a sports movie.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    FireRob:
    Going to be a little vague for now. But every so often I’ll give a new clue probably a couple times a day if the guesses are coming in. Should not be that hard.

Clue #1 It’s a sports movie.
    Brian's Song?
    FireRob:
    rsherman24:
    FireRob:

Seriously, I won???? So, who is the actor you’re in reference to? Sean Penn? If you ask me Pheobie Cates earned every penny she got for this film!

Did not expect to win, give me a min to think of my movie and clue……

Nicolas Cage. Penn won an Oscar too, but Cage was 17