Home Non Cigar Related

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Funny you say that JB tastes like peanuts. I think Canadian whiskey tastes like candy corn.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    madurofan:
    jlmarta:
    Scrambler:
    jlmarta:
    I used to drink Jack Daniels exclusively until it was brought to my attention the way they were ripping off the public.
    Care to elaborate?
    Unfortunately EW did a similar thing with their Gold label. It used to be aged 10 years and said so on the bottle. Now its not aged 10 years anymore, and they don't disclose how long it is aged and the bottle says somethign to the effect of "No. 10 Brand" now.
    You're absolutely right. Evidently they figured folks were used to seeing that big "10" on the label and would continue buying it. I brought up that topic on another forum and communicated with Bloofington about it. I also traded a few e-mails with a lady at Heaven Hill Distillery about it and all she did was weasel-word her way around the topic.

Having said all that, though, the regular ol' EW is still a darn good everyday sour mash bourbon.

Marty

jlmarta:
    madurofan:
    jlmarta:
    Scrambler:
    jlmarta:
    I used to drink Jack Daniels exclusively until it was brought to my attention the way they were ripping off the public.
    Care to elaborate?
    Unfortunately EW did a similar thing with their Gold label. It used to be aged 10 years and said so on the bottle. Now its not aged 10 years anymore, and they don't disclose how long it is aged and the bottle says somethign to the effect of "No. 10 Brand" now.
    You're absolutely right. Evidently they figured folks were used to seeing that big "10" on the label and would continue buying it. I brought up that topic on another forum and communicated with Bloofington about it. I also traded a few e-mails with a lady at Heaven Hill Distillery about it and all she did was weasel-word her way around the topic.

Having said all that, though, the regular ol' EW is still a darn good everyday sour mash bourbon.

Marty

Its crappy that they think they can do this stuff eh?
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    I don't consider JD a bourbon, its an American whiskey.
    And a fine one at that...I love me some JD...which, as you correctly pointed out, is a whiskey. Some whiskey's are bourbon, but I believe it has to be made of more than 51 percent corn and JD isn't...or something like that. Or, I just made that up.
    According to my google-fu ... By law, Bourbon must be made up of at least 51% corn and aged a minimum of two years in a new charred white oak barrel. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the United States, though nearly all brands are made in Kentucky, and Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on the bottle. Bourbon is not Bourbon unless the label says so.

I hate it when I ask a bartender what bourbons he has and JD gets listed ...

So what happened to the avi, I said in another post that I didn't recognize the new naked version of you.
    What keeps Jack from being a bourbon is the charcoal filtering. I wasn't aware they had diluted it.

I hate it when a customer asks for bourbon, then when I ask what brand they say Jack Daniel's. But I hate it even more when I order a bourbon sour and the bartender reaches for the JD. Worse than that was the time I ordered a bourbon sour, with Jim Beam Black and they poured Johnnie Walker Black. I mean, I like scotch just fine, but not with lemon and sugar.
    Scrambler:
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    And a fine one at that...I love me some JD...which, as you correctly pointed out, is a whiskey. Some whiskey's are bourbon, but I believe it has to be made of more than 51 percent corn and JD isn't...or something like that. Or, I just made that up.
    According to my google-fu ... By law, Bourbon must be made up of at least 51% corn and aged a minimum of two years in a new charred white oak barrel. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the United States, though nearly all brands are made in Kentucky, and Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on the bottle. Bourbon is not Bourbon unless the label says so.

So what happened to the avi, I said in another post that I didn't recognize the new naked version of you.
    What keeps Jack from being a bourbon is the charcoal filtering. I wasn't aware they had diluted it.

I hate it when a customer asks for bourbon, then when I ask what brand they say Jack Daniel's. But I hate it even more when I order a bourbon sour and the bartender reaches for the JD. Worse than that was the time I ordered a bourbon sour, with Jim Beam Black and they poured Johnnie Walker Black. I mean, I like scotch just fine, but not with lemon and sugar.
    Holy schnikey ... a scotch sour? Blasphemous.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    madurofan:

Well, first it took me about a week to figure out what an avi was, then I didn't know what the hell you were talking about. I never had an avitar, as far as I can tell. I'm trying to be enigmatic, like Salinger, so hence, no avitar and no tag.

Do you guys really "hate" it when people confuse JD with bourbon? I mean, on the list of "hatable" crimes, that's way down on the list. What are you, elitists?

Now what I really hate is when I have some tissues in my office and someone asks me for a Kleenex.
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    madurofan:

Well, first it took me about a week to figure out what an avi was, then I didn't know what the hell you were talking about. I never had an avitar, as far as I can tell. I'm trying to be enigmatic, like Salinger, so hence, no avitar and no tag.

Do you guys really "hate" it when people confuse JD with bourbon? I mean, on the list of "hatable" crimes, that's way down on the list. What are you, elitists?

Now what I really hate is when I have some tissues in my office and someone asks me for a Kleenex.
    Could've swore you had one ... huh guess I'm the confused one here.

Yes I hate people who don't know their job. If Joe Blow calls JD a bourbon fine whatever, but if a bartender does it ... f*ck him.
    madurofan:
    Holy schnikey ... a scotch sour? Blasphemous.
    Yeah, then the manager couldn't understand why I didn't want to pay for it. "But the liquor we gave you is better, we're only charging you for the Jim Beam."
    Luko:
    Ok, I don't actually hate it, but it irks me.

I did see one of my bartenders firmly correct a customer who ordered a "Jack Daniels Bourbon". I had to remind him that the customer is always right.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    thats the second time today that Maddy has been called elitist in this forum...what an ass...and crown does not taste like candy corn
    I'm impressed with the drinking sophistication of all the regulars on this board. I like bourbon (neat or with some ice), whiskey, some red wine. Maybe a margarita in the summer. That's about it. Other than that, it's beer. Lots and lots of beer.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Maker Mark after a couple shots of Grey Goose
    One h-ll of a day at work....not even time for a smoke although as the day went on it got colder and colder and finally started snowing
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Bad Andy:
    Never got into JD either, never had EW. JB taste like peanuts to me...peanuts 'n coke is not that good. I stick with CR, the canadians to at least one thing right and thats whiskey.
    You clearly didn't spend enough time on a tractor in the hot, hot (did I mention hot?) sun. You get yourself a pack of peanuts. You get yourself an icy cold bottle of Co'Cola (if you can get one that cold). You pour the peanuts in the Co'Cola bottle. Now you've got yourself peanuts and a cold soda that you can eat/drink with one hand, whilst you steer with the other. (Until you get to the end of the field, anyway. That's a two-hand turn -- or was before tractors got fancy, anyway.)

One of my dad's favorite treats in the summer is still a cold Coke with peanuts in it.
    My everyday bourbon is Woodford Reserve. (I don't actually drink it every day.) When i want something really special, I'll get out the Rock Hill Farms. If I want something good but with a bite, I go for Blanton's. I had an Unfortunate Event with Maker's a few years back, and can't go near it.

If it's scotch, my fave is Balvenie DoubleWood, and now & then I'll have a Macallan. When it comes to Irish, I'm a Jameson man -- either the standard or the 18-y.o.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Had some Yukon Jack on ice....eh. It's a 100 proof liquer, not so much a fan. Switched back to Buffalo Trace
    urbino:
    Bad Andy:
    Never got into JD either, never had EW. JB taste like peanuts to me...peanuts 'n coke is not that good. I stick with CR, the canadians to at least one thing right and thats whiskey.
    You clearly didn't spend enough time on a tractor in the hot, hot (did I mention hot?) sun. You get yourself a pack of peanuts. You get yourself an icy cold bottle of Co'Cola (if you can get one that cold). You pour the peanuts in the Co'Cola bottle. Now you've got yourself peanuts and a cold soda that you can eat/drink with one hand, whilst you steer with the other. (Until you get to the end of the field, anyway. That's a two-hand turn -- or was before tractors got fancy, anyway.)

One of my dad's favorite treats in the summer is still a cold Coke with peanuts in it.
    Yeah, I've heard of that southern summer time treat. Never had it but I'm guessing it doesn't quite taste the same as Beam 'n Coke. Its just an odd taste to me.
    Heh. Probably not. Beam and Coke tends to lead to crooked furrows, I suspect.
    maybe thats where crop circles come from

Bad Andy:
    maybe thats where crop circles come from

Thats where a butt whoopin came from if my dad caught you drinkin' on a tractor

Bad Andy:
    urbino:
    Bad Andy:

Yeah, I've heard of that southern summer time treat. Never had it but I'm guessing it doesn't quite taste the same as Beam 'n Coke. Its just an odd taste to me.

peanuts and coke -been there done that

speaking of whiskey...Im enjoying CR and Sprite...while watching the Gator game. Go GATORS!
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Schlitz tonight. How's that for sophistication, Luko?
    Thanks for having my back, gm.

I tried to try some Buffalo Trace tonight, but they were out. Yuengling.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 187
    gmill880:

Bad Andy:
    urbino:
    Bad Andy:

peanuts and coke -been there done that

Wow, ive never heard of this, although i can't say ive ever driven a tractor either.
    Urbs the Buffalo Trace rocks-got my boy over your way pickin me up another bottle---you know, just in case of snake bite or somthin' ....
    Yeah, you can never be too safe about that sort of thing. Best to be prepared.

I go to that place with a co-worker pretty much every Thurs. night. I'm sure they'll have it next week.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Oh yes, Buffalo Trace is some damn good stuff! Last night though I had to settle for some Maker's Mark and Coke... Ok, so maybe it wasn't really "settling"... haha
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    dutyje:

I got some PBR in the fridge :)
    Jetmech_63:
    dutyje:

I got some PBR in the fridge :)
    PBR? They're still making that? I'm not a Schlitz fan, but I can appreciate where you're coming from. I bought a case of Harp today. Not sure why, it just looked up at me and said, buy me. If I've ever had a Harp, it's been in a bar and I can't remember if I liked it or not. I can't remember who I took home or didn't take home that night either, but I'm sure she was hot.