Home Non Cigar Related

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    A sad day at the ABC store this evening...was advised that Tortuga Rum was not being carried in NC anymore. Once what they have is gone its gone. BUT , can still special order it if you take a case at a time and I've already lined up a coupla friends to do this with...it will take more than the stinkin' state to stop my Tortuga consumpion...picked up 3 fifths just to calmmy nerves about it though haha.Maybe they will replace it with Buffalo Trace ummmm!
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I'll repeat an earlier statement: if you can find this Bernheim whiskey, gitcha some. Tasty stuff, but not so heavy it overpowers the cigar (which I find is sometimes the case with bourbon).

urbino:
    I'll repeat an earlier statement: if you can find this Bernheim whiskey, gitcha some. Tasty stuff, but not so heavy it overpowers the cigar (which I find is sometimes the case with bourbon).

Thanks 'Bino i will try that out

urbino:

" Or even plain"

Heh. Does that mean you got some and didn't like it?

urbino:

No - referring to an earlier thread somewhere about lines from a movie ...remember that?

• dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    gmill880:
    A sad day at the ABC store this evening...was advised that Tortuga Rum was not being carried in NC anymore. Once what they have is gone its gone. BUT , can still special order it if you take a case at a time and I've already lined up a coupla friends to do this with...it will take more than the stinkin' state to stop my Tortuga consumpion...picked up 3 fifths just to calmmy nerves about it though haha.Maybe they will replace it with Buffalo Trace ummmm!
    Hey, gmill. NC ABC is stocking Buffalo Trace as of last November. $22 for a fifth. Still a lot of Tortuga at the local place. For my shelf mixing rum, I usually use Cruzan Estate light. As a spicy sipper or something to mix with pineapple, I use Pusser's. My nice mixing rum is Appleton Estate V/X. I haven't had the Tortuga, but since I've seen you're usually mixing, you may want to check out Cruzan Estate if you're stuck at the same price point, or Appleton V/X, Gosling's Gold, or Bacardi 8 in the $16-22 range.

The NC ABC updates their stock and price lists quarterly. I've got Excel spreadsheets dating back a year or so with the complete quarterly price lists, separated out by category :)
    gmill880:

urbino:

No - referring to an earlier thread somewhere about lines from a movie ...remember that?

Sure. But that's what that quote means.
    What with having added Tatonka Trace and Bernheim to my stock of Blanton's, Woodford, and Rock Hill Farms, I've been reading a bit on bourbon, today (even though Bernheim isn't a bourbon). I wish we could trade 'em. Seems like there are many I'd like to try.
    urbino:
    gmill880:

urbino:

Sure. But that's what that quote means.

Ah ha ... I see the errors of my post now-having not seen the movie and possibly mis interpreting the quote.....no, Bino I have not tried it but would love to ..sorry about the confusion , blame it on rio ...err no blame it on me ....

dutyje:
    gmill880:
    Hey, gmill. NC ABC is stocking Buffalo Trace as of last November. $22 for a fifth. Still a lot of Tortuga at the local place. For my shelf mixing rum, I usually use Cruzan Estate light. As a spicy sipper or something to mix with pineapple, I use Pusser's. My nice mixing rum is Appleton Estate V/X. I haven't had the Tortuga, but since I've seen you're usually mixing, you may want to check out Cruzan Estate if you're stuck at the same price point, or Appleton V/X, Gosling's Gold, or Bacardi 8 in the $16-22 range.

The NC ABC updates their stock and price lists quarterly. I've got Excel spreadsheets dating back a year or so with the complete quarterly price lists, separated out by category :)

Making notes of those recommendations Duty ; and thanks. I still have not seen the Buffalo Trace in any of the 3 abc stores I frequent. I'm sure they can get it though since it is available here now, proably just not had any requests for it.Duty what are you mixing the Appleton v/x with? I can mix or sip no preference really. Sounds like you got some good reccomends goin' there.

No worries, gm.
    Gmill, I will sip a premium rum neat. I can't take my straight liquor with even ice, for some reason. I do enjoy it chilled, though, but I never chill it.

As far as mixing rum, I'm a total chick and a big fan of tropical drinks. I will mix up any of a number (16?) of Mai Tai recipes, and I do a good pina colada (not with a mix). I like Pusser's neat or with pineapple juice. On any tropical drink for myself, I'll float some Gosling's Black Seal on the top, and usually use V/X as the base. Makes a huge difference.

We are famous for serving up "Typhoons" at an annual party at our house in December. I actually got this from my in-laws, but we have sort of adopted it as the signature drink at our household. The recipe is very basic:
    1 6-oz can of limeade concentrate (thawed)
    6 oz of light rum (your Tortuga would work nicely here)
    1 12-oz lager (whatever you want, Bud Light or something like that is fine).

They sound disgusting, but they drink super-easy (be very careful). Never has a guest disliked this drink, and many of them enjoyed it way too much. Double the recipe to make a pitcher. Serve it in 4-oz portions. Tasty. Trust me on this one.
    Interesting. I had no idea rums were so specialized.
    They usually split rums into the following categories:

1. Light rum - white or off-white in color. These are usually aged 3 years or less. I also count "gold" rums here, which are really just light rums with caramel colorings added. Others consider "gold" rums as a separate category.

2. Anejo rum - rum that has been aged at least 3 years. These will have a darker color as a result of the aging process, although like a dyed maduro, many manufacturers will darken this rum a bit.

3. Black rum - Sometimes called dark rum. I prefer the term black as it is unambiguous. Myers' Dark, Gosling's Black Seal, and Cruzan Black Strap are the best examples. These are usually thick, sweet rums which are ideal to float on a tropical drink, and rarely serve as the lone liquor in a drink. However, a black rum and ginger ale is a tasty drink. I should have mentioned that earlier.

4. Flavored rum - the infused cigar of rums. Coconut rum is the most common, but there are many others. These usually are not full-proof rums, but range anywhere from 40-proof to 70-proof.

In my "Bar Inventory" spreadsheet (you had to know I had this) I actually stock the following rum categories:

1. Light Rum (Cruzan Estate Light)
    2. Gold Rum (Pusser's British Royal Navy Rum -- not really a gold rum, but see my merging of categories above. I could actually create a new category for Navy Rum, as this has its own distinct character.)
    3. Anejo Rum (Appleton Estate V/X)
    4. Black Rum (Gosling's Black Seal)
    5. Premium Rum (currently Zaya Gran Reserva)
    6. Coconut Rum (Bacardi Coco - actually not bad, and higher proof than most coconut rums)

Based on suggestions here, I may juggle up some of the inventory to try new things.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    dutyje:
    Wow. I thought one just walked up to the bar and said, "Yarrrrrrr, matey," and they gave you rum. I never knew it was so . . . scientific.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    dutyje:
    What do you think of this stuff duty? It's been on my list for a while now. I need to finish off at least one of my open bottles before diving into this though.
    Rob1110:
    dutyje:
    What do you think of this stuff duty? It's been on my list for a while now. I need to finish off at least one of my open bottles before diving into this though.
    Hey, Rob... It's quite sweet and aromatic, and you may find that a bit of a turn-off. The vanilla is overpowering. I actually really enjoy it, because I'm a fan of the sweeter rums, and I really love vanilla. If you do enjoy it, you would almost certainly prefer it on the rocks or slightly watered down, knowing what little I do about the rums you've liked so far. It's the best I've found so far, but I'm still hunting around for Vizcaya (that was your recommendation, was it not?)

To give you some perspective on how much I like the sweet rums, I enjoy Black Seal on the rocks every once in a while.

dutyje:
    Gmill, I will sip a premium rum neat. I can't take my straight liquor with even ice, for some reason. I do enjoy it chilled, though, but I never chill it.

As far as mixing rum, I'm a total chick and a big fan of tropical drinks. I will mix up any of a number (16?) of Mai Tai recipes, and I do a good pina colada (not with a mix). I like Pusser's neat or with pineapple juice. On any tropical drink for myself, I'll float some Gosling's Black Seal on the top, and usually use V/X as the base. Makes a huge difference.

We are famous for serving up "Typhoons" at an annual party at our house in December. I actually got this from my in-laws, but we have sort of adopted it as the signature drink at our household. The recipe is very basic:
    1 6-oz can of limeade concentrate (thawed)
    6 oz of light rum (your Tortuga would work nicely here)
    1 12-oz lager (whatever you want, Bud Light or something like that is fine).

They sound disgusting, but they drink super-easy (be very careful). Never has a guest disliked this drink, and many of them enjoyed it way too much. Double the recipe to make a pitcher. Serve it in 4-oz portions. Tasty. Trust me on this one.

Well Duty, looking at the weather forcast, I think this week or weekend at the latest will be "Typhoon" time, that sounds like something I would really enjoy. Thanks also on the rum primer, great info. Thanks again.

urbino:
    dutyje:
    Wow. I thought one just walked up to the bar and said, "Yarrrrrrr, matey," and they gave you rum. I never knew it was so . . . scientific.

Yea and the pirates union has been gettin all pis-sy about it too ....

All this talk about rum inspired me to mix up the 5 Vegas of all my Mai Tai recipes. This is the first one I learned, and is almost a straight copy of the way they mix them in the Bahamas. I use 1.5 oz Pusser's (although they usually use a basic, cheap light rum), .75 oz of Bacardi Coco, and .75 oz of Apricot Brandy. Mix in 6 oz of pineapple juice and serve on the rocks. So tasty. It almost feels like summer is here, except that it's so freaking cold.

Gmill - the forecast shows a warm spell here on Thursday, and my wife has her monthly women's club bunco group, so I'll probably fire up a cigar on the deck. Good times just around the corner! Spring is almost here.

I was at the ABC this weekend doing a re-stock of all my rums, and picking up El Tesoro Anejo tequila, as I've been dying to taste it (excellent, btw). They had several bottles of Tortuga Gold in stock. If you want, I'll buy 'em up and bring 'em to Boone sometime I'm up that way to climb at Ship Rock.

dutyje:
    All this talk about rum inspired me to mix up the 5 Vegas of all my Mai Tai recipes. This is the first one I learned, and is almost a straight copy of the way they mix them in the Bahamas. I use 1.5 oz Pusser's (although they usually use a basic, cheap light rum), .75 oz of Bacardi Coco, and .75 oz of Apricot Brandy. Mix in 6 oz of pineapple juice and serve on the rocks. So tasty. It almost feels like summer is here, except that it's so freaking cold.

Gmill - the forecast shows a warm spell here on Thursday, and my wife has her monthly women's club bunco group, so I'll probably fire up a cigar on the deck. Good times just around the corner! Spring is almost here.

I was at the ABC this weekend doing a re-stock of all my rums, and picking up El Tesoro Anejo tequila, as I've been dying to taste it (excellent, btw). They had several bottles of Tortuga Gold in stock. If you want, I'll buy 'em up and bring 'em to Boone sometime I'm up that way to climb at Ship Rock.

I can't wait for the warm weather, cigars and grillin and some tasty drinks. Thanks for the offer on the Tortuga but I think I may be overstocked now. I picked up 3 bottles and had a friend from work pick up another 2 in Blowing Rock, plus a buddy that knew I was mule lipped picked me up another bottle- 6 bottles total, plus  all the good sounding stuff you recommended that I need to try, but thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. Speaking of climbing I assume the foot is healing nicely? Hope so.

Hey, my girlfriend took offense at your racial slur (mule-lipped) ;)

As far as the foot, I just had my last appointment and x-ray on Thursday. The doc cleared me to climb and play hockey. I went climbing last week and found that now my foot is among the least of my worries. Apparently sitting around, smoking cigars and pipes, and drinking huge amounts of beer are really bad ways to develop and maintain your climbing ability. In short, I climb like a girl. A fat, weak, ugly girl with a beard.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    duty: my recommendation was Zacapa centenario. So far from everything I've heard about the two, they're very comparable, so it sounds like I'd love the Zaya. Zacapa is on the sweet side - very heavy, but incredibly smooth. As for Goslings, black seal is my go-to mixer, but the family reserve I'll put on the rocks.

dutyje:
    Hey, my girlfriend took offense at your racial slur (mule-lipped) ;)

As far as the foot, I just had my last appointment and x-ray on Thursday. The doc cleared me to climb and play hockey. I went climbing last week and found that now my foot is among the least of my worries. Apparently sitting around, smoking cigars and pipes, and drinking huge amounts of beer are really bad ways to develop and maintain your climbing ability. In short, I climb like a girl. A fat, weak, ugly girl with a beard.

Oh Ow! I,m sure thats a gross over exageration.....but glad your cleared to have fun again!!!

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Hahahahahahaha! I finally get to post here! I had a Johnnie Walker Black Label and a Captain Morgan's Private Stock. MMMMMMMM, good.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    let's see.... pumpkin1787

5 or so rogue beers.... not too sure on the type...

4 grey goose gimlets... fantastic vodka.

I used to enjoy the occasional gimlet. Haven't had one in a long time, though.

Had a glass of Rock Hill Farms bourbon last night. How can something 100 proof be so smooth?
    Buffalo Trace as I retire to the man-cave in about 15-20 minutes...I'm just trying to pick out a smoke before heading downstairs